What's new

a different view on Alf... (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes when a film gets rave reviews it can be a little disappointing, and sometimes when it gets slated, and your expectations are a little less... you find a gem.

Although a big fan of the series all those years ago, I didn't order Alf when it was released - entirely due to all the comments on here. There was such uproar that it put me right off buying it.

On more important releases, like Quantum Leap, I just jumped in regardless. For me it was such an important must have release, I couldn't not buy it!

Anyway, while browsing at Lasersedge (support our sponsors!) I spotted Alf, and my resolve weakened. I ordered it along with Frasier Season 7.

At the risk of a severe flaming - I'm sorry I waited!

I think it's really good. The new clips on the menu system are great - a nice touch! For me, and I stress this is just my opinion, I can't remember every episode from around 15 - 20 years ago so I can't spot any missing bits, I just enjoy what's there.

I know this isn't the answer for everyone, and the purists who know what's missing are equally entitled not to buy it, but if you're still wondering.... I'd say buy it if you want to see Alf again and have him in your collection.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Alf is another of those shows I'm on the fence about. I simply felt that it wouldn't be as good as I'd remembered it. When I bought What's Happening? it was only about 25% as funny to me now, as it was when I was 11. I felt underwhelmed by other shows such as the the Flintstones, the Brady Bunch, V and Party of 5...they just weren't as good as I'd remembered them.

Then again, I've picked up other shows which gave me the opposite reaction. DYNASTY wound up being about 10 TIMES better than I'd remembered it. Seriously! I originally saw it at age 15. At age 40, the show grew up with me, it seemed. Other pleasant surprises included HR Pufnstuf, Green Acres, the Jeffersons and a half-dozen others. So I guess what it boils down to, is when dealing with classic tv, you're going to end up seeing these old shows again, but with more mature eyes. If the show had a certain adult level originally, it's going to hit you differently than when you originally saw it. You'll be viewing the show on a different level. In the case of HR Pufnstuf, geez, that was my favorite show when I was FIVE. Well, it turns out the writing is very good and can be enjoyed by adults. I think it was one of those shows that was meant to be viewed by children and their parents together.

So in keeping with Stewart's thinking, I guess you just have to give the old shows a second try and see if you still like them, or if you now enjoy them a little differently than before.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I have passed on ALF before, not because of the edits, but because I don't think I would enjoy the show so much as I did in grade school. When I was a kid, he was hilarious to me, but I don't know if I'd get anything more watching it now than a "for old times sake" smile

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I plan on picking it up if I find used copies, but I will not contribute one cent of profit to the studio.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I was lucky enough to get season 1 as a gift... so I was able to see I still enjoyed it enough (not as much as I used to) to continue collecting... though it isn't a top priority for me... I still haven't gotten the second season. Though I am sure I will at some point.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I Netflixed Seasons 1 and 2 recently and found that the show actually held up moderately decent for me. I'm sure most of us would not find it as hilarious as we did in childhood, but I don't think people would be dissapointed either.

Watching it with adult eyes, I found chemistry between Alf and Willie to be very good, so it was enjoyable to watch for their moments onscreen together.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator

Couldn't have put it better myself, and so true.

Unless you're really bothered by missing bits (I don't even remember or miss) buy this set - it's a winner:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
A lot of people won't buy it because of the cuts. That's fine, but they all have to let the studio know, somehow, that that's the reason why they're not buying. If the set doesn't sell, the studio will simply assume that it's because Alf isn't popular; they'll never reach the conclusion that they did something wrong in the editing, and that's what affects sales. We have to be constantly alert and vigilant in letting the studios know what we want to buy and why.

Hopefully, all the smart studios lurk in this forum, (some of them participate).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
it's odd that ALF s1 was released over a year ago and there were countless threads about it and yet Lion's Gate still released season 2 edited, whereas only mere weeks passed from when Cosby Show and Roseanne hit the streets that you heard confirmation that the mistake made for season 1 won't happen again. Granted, I know Cosby and Roseanne appeal to a larger audience than ALF, but still, the principle of the whole matter.

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I bought s1 and s2 knowing they were the syndicated episodes. I'm just a huge fan of the show. I too love the chemistry between Willie and Alf. :)

I hate that they're syndicated episodes, but I figure they'll release the full versions later on down the road. I just look at these releases as appetizers. Besides, it's not like these season sets are pricey.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Not wanting to rub salt in the wounds of those who are really upset by the cuts, but.....

just finished the set, and I have to say, I'll order season 2 as soon as I know the release date for Quantum Leap Season 4 (save on postage:b ).

They were just classic:emoji_thumbsup:

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
I like Season 1 alot, but Season 2 is much better. Alf is much funnier this season, much like Homer Simpson got progressively funnier as the Simpson's seasons progressed.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yes, I do remember ALF-mania peaking in season 2 and watching it every single week, season 3 seemed to be a step down from season 1. Season 4 had some good moments but ratings went down the plunger and it was gone by season-end. I also thought the "reunion" movie was a slap in the face by just sending the Tanners to Iceland.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I would *love* to purchase Alf Seasons I and II; but I will absolutely not pay for the syndicated versions of TV shows on DVD!

I thought the whole concept behind TV-ON-DVD was based on being able to view your favorite shows just the way they were originally aired, but commercial free; and in a (mostly) higher video quality than what was available when the shows were broadcast.

The current Alf offerings totally violate that concept!! In some cases as much as four minutes or more of a show are missing. We are *not* getting these shows the way they were originally aired on NBC.

These Alf season sets are a slap in the face to the fans of the show and an embarrassment to the entire concept of TV-on-DVD!!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I heard that season 2 is even worse than syndicated versions, but like 17-18 minute episodes. Can anyone verify that?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The only ALF DVD I have is the Canadian "ALF Files" DVD, which has uncut episodes on it (but is not a season set). I normally wouldn't buy a Best-of DVD, but since the season set was edited (and released by a different company)...

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Right, right and right. But read this thread. Unfortunately there are enough people out there with no standards who will accept just about anything. It reminds me of the VHS days when there were people who would accept shows that were horrible quality just so they could get them and they didn't care what they looked like. And then you wonder why a company like this wouldn't spend any money to re-transfer the shows properly. Why should they, 95% of the people will buy it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks