What's new

A different kind of theater furniture (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Aslean DeShaw
Hi all. Been gone a long time (if you count 6 years as long), but somehow I managed to find my way back.

Anyways, since I've been working as a Special FX artist and sculptor, I decided to bring a little bit of that fun into the home theater. Well that, and since I got laid off from Harry Potter I've had a bit of time on my hands and all that empty wall space was just too tempting. Fortunately my wife is big movie and sci-fi nut, so she was cool with me decking out the theatre.

Started off with a kitschy game cabinet for my son.

100_1292.jpg

100_1293.jpg

After that I got into a bit of a noir mood and decided to do an accurate Maltese Falcon, since no good ones were available.

100_1614.jpg

Still need to figure out a good way to display this one. I'm thinking of just shifting over to more of a vintage Hollywood theatre vibe for the whole room. Kind of a Grauman's Chinese Theatre thing.

I also did a four foot long 50's flying saucer half embedded in the wall that doubles as theater lighting, but I had to pause work on it for awhile. Just need to finish the mold for the engine lense and she'll be good to go.

Oz

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
That is friggin awesome. I seem to recall that the original falcon was recovered a few years ago. I wonder if you could get casts off of it?

I tried to make a UFO a few years ago for my front yard halloween decor. My plan was to have it do a 'close encounters' like light and sound show at random intervals while emitting fog from below (to hide the struts) I got stuck with the light organ - I just couldn't find a solution other than constructing it from the circuit board up... too complex for me...

I soooo want to see your UFO when you are done.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome back! The cabinet is outstanding! Great job on the falcon as well. I second Eric on wanting to see the UFO

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Wow! cool! the falcon is top-notch. As soon as I saw the cabinet I wondered if you'd be putting some trees in a dome...

Real Name
Aslean DeShaw
Originally Posted by Eric_L

That is friggin awesome. I seem to recall that the original falcon was recovered a few years ago. I wonder if you could get casts off of it?

I tried to make a UFO a few years ago for my front yard halloween decor. My plan was to have it do a 'close encounters' like light and sound show at random intervals while emitting fog from below (to hide the struts) I got stuck with the light organ - I just couldn't find a solution other than constructing it from the circuit board up... too complex for me...

I soooo want to see your UFO when you are done.

There is one original Maltese Falcon prop on display in Virginia, but they won't even let you take photos, let alone let someone with silicone near it. Though I am proud to say that my bird is being called the most accurate Maltese Falcon replica that's ever been made. And that's coming from the Replica Props Forum, and those guys are serious about screen accuracy. We had long drawn out arguements over whether it should be 11.5 inches tall or 11.3. Even Adam Savage from Mythbusters bought two of them.

On the Flying Saucer, I used two fiberglass Captain America shields mated together to make the body so it has plenty of structure and internal room for lighting. I then added a smaller dome to the top and a concave clear resin piece on the bottom for the engine lights. The effect will be that it casts a nice slash of light along the wall to create a light cone, ala War of the Worlds. After that I want to do a set of mini saucers to replace the pendulum lights.

Oz

Real Name
Aslean DeShaw
Originally Posted by chuckg

Wow! cool! the falcon is top-notch. As soon as I saw the cabinet I wondered if you'd be putting some trees in a dome...

Took me a bit to catch the reference. Talk about obscure.

No, actually it's a Gonk droid from Star Wars. I wanted something that was kitschy and fun, but not so overt and obvious as an R2 droid. By planting him halfway in the wall I'm utilizing a visual trick that lets your mind fill in the missing half. Works great in person, but photographs kill the illusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks