What's new

A couple of SVS questions (particularly the 20-39PCi) (1 Viewer)

BrianKiser

Grip
First off, I noticed links to SVS on this site, and just have to wonder... what's the relationship? Someone on this site recomended SVS to me, and they sound really great from what I've read (and Ron is fantastic), but it seems odd that this site should support a particular subwoofer company. I just want to make sure I received an unbiased and fair recommendation. :)

With that said, what is everyone's experience with the SVS 20-39PCi? I have a fairly powerful Klipsch system, but only a small to mid-sized rectangular room (12' x 20').

Any advice, comments, or explanations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

-Brian

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Brian ... I have Klipschorns, Belles, Cornwalls... driven by either Denon, McIntosh, or Aragon... what Klipsch do you own ?

Oh - I also have SVS, Hsu, and a Denali sub... so fire away... we cannot have a Klipsch guy lacking a proper sub !

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I sell klipsch, infinity, sunfire, deftech, etc. SVS is the best sounding sub I have ever heard. It is a very good recommendation.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My listening room is considerably larger than yours, yet I do not find the PCi series to be underpowered in any way at reasonable levels.

BrianKiser

Grip
Craig,

Here's my system:

Klipsch KLF-30 fronts
Klipsch KLF-C7 center
Klipsch RS-35 rears

Driven by a Harman Kardon AVR-500 receiver. It's got a few years on it, but still sounds good.

This is in a fairly small (12' x 20') semi-soundproofed rectangular room.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Brian - The 20-39 PCI will, without a doubt, put a foundation under your system that you will love... and your room sounds like a good one... Once you dial everything in... it will seem like your Klipsch have an extra 1.5 octaves in deep bass...

And, as Garrett suggests, You will NEVER run out of power ... you are in for a treat !

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Short answer: SVS advertise here/are sponsors of HTF.

But the comments of all the members here are presumably unbiased, and let me add my name to those recommending SVS; my living room is 26 x 13, yet my lil' ole 25-31PCi (tuned 22) is plenty loud for me!

I suppose there are many supporters of SVS here on this forum, which may be a result of like-minded people gathering together, or (like me) people who having read all the positive reviews, decided to buy an SVS and find out for themselves that SVS really do make great subs, and then want to "share the news" with others.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Sorry, but I fail to see any relationship to the site sponsorship and the user opinions. It is great SVS has stepped up to sponsor this site. However, when my PB1+ arrives in a week or so I will be the first to cry foul if it doesn't live up to the reputation SVS has gained here. I really don't expect I'll be let down.

I thought carefully about SVS and HSU before spending any money. I ended up buying SVS because of their new, attractive boxes. Both Dr. Hsu and Ron/Tom were fantastic at answering questions via email. I find it refreshing to peel away the usual marketing glitz and talk to people who are trying to build a direct business based on quality products at a reasonable cost.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at them all, forums, reviews, websites, (audionreview.com is a great resource) and it mostly came down to HSU or SVS. I always wanted a SVS since I first spotted them a couple years ago. They seemed to have a slight edge in personal reviews in both performance and customer support. So I ordered on a few weeks back and can vouch that everything I read is true. My experience has been nothing but perfect. I got my 20-29PCi less then 3 weeks ago and it has totally changed my HT experience. (the new JBL's helped too!)

I wanted this Sub purchase to be one where I would never feel the need to get another due to lack of performance. I have thrown every killer track I can find and nothing phases it. The wife, kids, house, etc can all vouch for the new world of shale rattle and roll they are experiencing on a daily basis. :D

Now in a year or two I may go for an Ultra, but thats only due to curiosity and not due to a lacking with this monster!

Seth_B

Grip
I have a 20-39 PCi too. I upgraded from a Klipsch KSW-12 about three months ago. Let me tell you that the difference is HUGE. Not only does it go lower and louder than anything I had demoed before, but it also goes lower and louder than anything my friends own (which, IMO is the best part.)

My boss, who is a very knowledgeable HT guy, is building his dedicated HT room right now. He listened to my SVS had to order one for himself. The SVS legend is not a joke. They are a great company and provide an excellent product.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
One may stop by a number of forums and wonder what these SVS things are all about. Here, the Spot and even on the Klipsch forums they are chock full of people estatic about the sVS subs.

Having owned several models I can not say enough good things about them. They perform extremely well and add a whole new dimension to the listening experience without kiling the wallet.

As for Customer service, you will find three great people just an email or phone call away. What is most impressive is the self help network the SVS owners have formed. Many solutions are resolved by other owners.

I know this is going to sound corny but when you buy an SVS you are buying into a piece of family.

When you are making your decision don't let the low price of hte PCI models fool you. My parents have a PB1isd and it is explosive. They sit there in awe on how it sounds.

Jason_Dan

Agent
brian

i have so far been very disappointed with my svs for every thing except the lowest bass where i would say it is just "ok"

this may be a product of my ht room or other set up problems but so far the plan is to send it back and get a sunfire

Jason

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Given the multitude of overwhelmingly positive comments from nearly all SVS owners, that is a pretty safe bet.

Then again, it could just be a personal taste-in-bass issue too. The SVS sound isn't for everyone, and that's why they do offer a 45 day no questions asked return policy.

I provided a few thoughts and suggestions over in your other thread, and also encourage you to email SVS with your concerns to see if Tom V can help you work things out. If anyone can get the sub optimized in your room, it's him. Good luck Jason! :emoji_thumbsup:

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I was an early adopter of a 20-39PC, upgraded to the improved driver last year and have it in a 13x28 room with a concrete slab......shakes the house, rattles windows, and impresses those who wander in for a demo!

I've been into car audio for 25 years and always had a big sub and bigger amp. Got into HT 15 years ago and several yars ago, began looking for a sub that impressed me the way my car sub did.... SVS was the answer.....

I like it loud and powerful and if it ain't shaking the room and all that's in it, it ain't on yet!

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Tom was an early member of the HTF. Back then, he was a hobbyist into building his own subs. He was always ready and willing to answer questions from other amateur sub builders. He started building subs for others, hooked up with Ron, and the rest is history. It was only natural that SVS and HTF stayed close since they were from the start.

Additionally, both Ron and Tom STILL come here to post on occasional. When they can pull themselves away from their 23.5 hour days at SVS. Or is it up to 23.75 now?

Oh, and I've got the SVS 25-31PC with the custom tuned port. Serial number 16 :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Like Yee-Ming above, I also have the bargain base overachieving performer SVS 25-31PCi (stock tune) in the right corner of my 20' x 30' HT/family room and my REFERENCE Calibrated JBL S-Series / SVS easily provides the sub-sonic air-pant-leg-moving LFE punch with all my blockbuster DVD's like "Jurassic Park I / III (the T-Rex stomp @ -10 dB really added the fear factor during those scenes - had to locate all the vibrations and silenced them); Armageddon CE; Pearl Harbor; Titan A.E.; Daredevil; Spiderman; The Hulk; Toy Story 2; Atlantis - The Lost Empire"*; etc.!

*Ask my neighbor that lives in a duplex, about 50' away from my SVS HT corner when I played Atlantis @ -5 dB below REF Level (approx. 110 dB - my older brother made me do it) one Friday NITE! (see SVS Tales (Anecdotes) thread)

Owned:
1) 10" - Design Acoustic Passive - 1983 (my son now uses it w/satellites)
2) 12" - BSR Passive (sold)
3) 15" - DBX Passive (sold)
4) 8" 80w - JBL Powered-sub (sold)
5) 10" 100w - Sherwood Powered-sub (sold)
6) 15" 200w - AudioSource Powered-sub (@ my vacation house - great to knock off the spiders under the base boards!!!)
7) 12" 320w - SVS 25-31PCi Powered-sub - YES!!!!!!!

So after over 20-years of having a sub(s) in my Stereo / HT setup mix, ... after I REF Calibrated the whole JBL S-Series / SVS 25-31PCi setup using Video Essentials dedicated LFE test tone, and sampling my first SVS DD-5.1 blockbuster DVD demo (Toy Story 2) , ... I knew that this sub was very special and was staying!!

That was on April 11, 2002 (SVS 25-31PCi S/No. 00034) and after watching my last few blockbuster DVD's @ -10 dB below REF Level, ... I still have this grin that first developed last April 2002!!! It's the very same, first day impression that says ... "I have an SVS" grin!!! :D

Phil

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Brian

Want unbiased opinions about SvS. Pop on over to the Klipsch forums and do a search for SvS in the Subwoofer forum and see how many hits you get. Read the comments and I am sure you will be rather suprised how many of us Klipschster have SvS and how happy we are with the decision we made.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I have heard alot of subs in a short amount of time. About 2 years of working at soundtrack. I have heard, kef, sunfire, klipsch, infinity, deftech, and martin logan. The only sub I think comes close to my $800 20-39PC+???? The $2800 martin logan decent... and its only "close". The SVS goes deeper, and louder. It is also incredibly accurate. I am very happy with it... ask my wife! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks