What's new

a complex question about sources: (1 Viewer)

jpsy422

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel
I have kind of a complex question:

I would like to have a set up where a TV is on all the time, but I would like it to switch between sources automatically at set times

for example:

9am-11:30am - television (always on the same channel, like CNBC)
11:30am - 1:30pm - computer (a powerpoint that is set to flip through the slides automatically)
1:30 - 5:00 - television

then repeat 3 times to get to a full day so you'd have TV again in the late evening and overnight

However, I do not want to have to use a remote, OR have to switch anything on the TV or the computer

I cant figure out how I would go about this, some thoughts, thought I dont know if any of these are actually possible:

1) Run the cable into the TV and the PC into the TV, the TV switches automatically

2) run the cable into the computer via a TV tuner, set to full screen, have the powerpoint running all the time in the background, then at set intervals, the TV will switch over

3) run cable into computer via tuner and set the TV tuner as a slide in powerpoint? so have the slides rotate at set intervals
so you would have like 1000 slides, set to 10 seconds each and then have the "slide" that is the TV tuner just be set to 2 hours, then resume the slides until you get to a total of 8 hours?

anyone have any thoughts?

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Assuming that you are trying to run this setup in a completely automated, kiosk-type situation, I think the idea of getting all your signals going through the computer and letting it handle the changeovers is your best bet.

There are freeware utilities which will let you launch such-and-such a program at a given time and run it for a given time, then shut it off. I can't recommend any by name, but I've seen them out there.

Hope this helps.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'm taking it that when you say "television" from 1:30-4:59:59p you mean "any channel" as opposed to then, at the start of the next cycle at 5:00p going back to CNBC?

There are easy ways to deal with this, and then there are cheap ways to deal with this.

The right way would be to have something like an AMX or Crestron show controller. It would have an infrared "bead" glued onto the front of the display (unless it was a good display that had an RS-232/422 port on the back) and would drive the display.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a card/adapter/something for the PC that, in addition to running the power-point, is also running a cron-like job that sends controls out to an IR emitter bead, again, glued to the set (unless, again, you have a display with the RS232 port.)

Another, cumbersom way to do this but without having to change modes on the set, would be to have three sources and an "automatic switcher" that listens to external contact closures. At the right intervals, your timers pulse relays that switch the external switcher to Tuner 1 (CNBC), Tuner 2 (everything else, with external remote), or Computer's Video Out - assuming, of course, that you're down-converting your PC's output to basic video.

Leo

jpsy422

Auditioning
Real Name
Joel

im sorry, the TV will always be on the same channel.

I will look into these options and share them with our tech department. (were a small business, so our "tech department" is me and one other guy,:laugh: and he is mostly a computers and audio guy)

Thanks

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Of course, you could get an audio-video matrix switcher. Many of them can either be programmed directly, or fed instructions via (e.g.) Ethernet. A small one might not be too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks