What's new

"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD (1 Viewer)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I got my hopes up when I saw this thread too. Oh well. lol I really hope we see a re-release by next year. This movie is a Christmas Eve tradition in my family. It would have been a real treat to see a restored version of it.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This was posted by member stickz2 on the DVDTalk forum:

I just purchased this DVD online. I just hope it's not a complete waste of money, and is some sort of improvement over the VCI release.

There also seems to be UK Region 2 special edition coming out on November 14th, 2005. This edition includes:

Audio commentary from George Cole
Exclusive interview
'Traditions Of Christmas' featurette

I may have to get this one as well. This one from Dd Home Entertainment seems like its special features are geared towards the film, rather than the story on screen like the BBC disc was supposed to be.

Andy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The link to the picture in the quote isn;t working. I have already seen a few stores have Christmas DVDs on display. A Christmas Carol has been among them...but I've only seen the VCI version.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Andrew! I am interested as it's one of my faves and I'd love to see an improved copy as well. I went to that site, didn't see it under "Scrooge" and saw a few under "a christmas carol". Can you tell me which one it is? I'm sure there are several versions of the Alastir Sim out. I also can play R2 PAL discs so I might wait for the UK version as 100 more lines of res. is always a good thing.

Cheers! dmack

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hey Dave,

Here's the direct link: https://www.absound.ca/ProductDetailMovie.aspx?ProdType=DVD&SKU=6363401625[/url] For some reason the price has jumped $15 dollars! Doesn't make much sense. I'm also hoping to purchase the Region 2 version also, as it seems like it will include some worthwhile features. What I'm willing to do for my favourite Christmas movie! haha

*NOTE: I just got word that my "Emerald Edition" copy has just shipped from A&B Sound. I'll let you know once of looked over it, and compared it to the VCI release. Hopefully this version isn't slightly edited like the VCI edition.
Andy

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the head up John!
So at this point, the canadian version is the best we can have?

:) d

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Apparently the Emerald Edition (Canadian) is the best and most complete version out there. I own it, but am waiting until closer to Christmas to watch it.

Andy

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I have just received the Region 2 two-disc version direct from DD Home Entertainment although it doesn't seem to be available at high street stores. There are pluses and minuses. Compared to the R1 VCI version, the picture quality is a lot sharper but the contrast is too great and the sound quality is not as good.

The DD version contains much extra material such as two 14 minute silent versions of the story and two 30 minute BBC radio plays. One with Alec Guinness and the other with Ralph Richardson. There's also a 15 minute interview with George Cole plus the colorised version (but we won't discuss that). There is a particularly good 24 page booklet about the film.

The one extra which I was really looking forward to was the commentary track by George Cole which is advertised on the box but unfortunately is nowhere to be found on the discs! Maybe this is an ommission on advance copies of the DVD (or a mistake on the packaging) which would account for why the DVD is said to have been delayed until Easter.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I emailed DD Entertainment about the lack of a commentary track on their 2 disc set and they now say that it was a misprint on the packaging - there is no audio commentary. Maybe someone at DD confused the George Cole interview on the disc and labelled this as a commentary disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks