What's new

"A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE" 1951 Alastair Sim on DVD (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Does anyone know whether or not A CHRISTMAS CAROL/SCROOGE, the 1951 version starring Alastair Sim is a public domain title? I ask this because all DVD releases of the film seem to be issued by VCI Entertainment. I would love to see a restored print of this, done by a company like Criterion with some extras. In my opinion, it's too good of a movie to not be done properly.

On another note, I thought we would have seen the 1938 MGM, A CHRISTMAS CAROL on DVD from Warner this Christmas. I guess I'll just have to keep my finger's crossed for next year!

Andy

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I saw this on a list of PD titles somewhere, but have yet to see any versions from the usual PD distributors such as Madacy. This is my favorite version of "A Christmas CArol" and I too would love to see a beautiful restored version. We can only hope.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Andy wrote: This version is the best I've ever seen "Scrooge" look. The B&W is on one side and the Colorized version is on the other. The only advantage of making the colorized version, was the restoration and re-mastering of the B&W version. FYI, my children and grandchildren will only sit through the colorized version.:b

Paul

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

Yes, I do indeed have the VCI Home Video version. While I am happy with it, I believe that the film was restored in approximately 1989, judging by Patrick MacNee's introduction. After 15 years, and the growth in technology, I think that "Scrooge" could look even better today. Well, I can only hope anyway!

Andy

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see that VCI has a "new" version of this available tomorrow, October 12th. Does anyone know if this is any different than the old version they used to sell? Is this remastered, or just a marketing gimmick?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Rodney,

I have a feeling that it's just a reissue of the same disc, but who knows, I very well could be wrong. If someone picks this disc up, let us know!

Andy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The film is supposed to start in the library with a pan of the books on the shelf, then shows A Christmas Carol being taken down from the shelf...on the current dvd, the film starts as the book is being taken down.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Where did you find out that a portion of the opening is missing? Do you know if there is another alternative opening for American audiences, since the film was re-titled from "Scrooge" to "A Christmas Carol" in the USA?

Andy

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The footage was on one of the video releases from the mid-'90's, plus everytime it is aired on television, the footage is included.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Scott,

I just compared my old VHS copy to my DVD, and you are indeed correct, there are a couple seconds missing in the opening sequence of the panning of the books. How strange. Any guesses into what could have possibly happened??

Andy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From Davis DVD:

Perennial Christmas favorite Scrooge, starring Alastair Sim, is being released by BBC Video on September 27th. Adapted from Charles Dickens' beloved "A Christmas Carol," the 1951 film has been restored and remastered to its original black-and-white glory. This definitive deluxe special edition features an exciting array of bonus features, including the rare 1914 and 1922 silent film versions "A Christmas Carol" and "Scrooge," as well as two complete radio plays from Christmas Day 1950 and 1965. Retail is $19.98.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thank you for that great news, John. I just hope the bloodcurdling scream Alastair Sim lets out when Scrooge sees his name on the tombstone has been restored to this new DVD. I grew up hearing that scream (it's the scariest thing in the movie) and it was on all the old TV prints, but it's not on the current DVD. Looking forward to Sept. 27th.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Now the question is, will this be made available in North America? I have a version by Canadian distributor 'Morningstar Entertainment' which looks just ghastly. This is by far my favorite version of "A Christmas Carol". I would love to be able to own a top quality version.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This release is suprising and completely unexpected. I am thrilled! This is such a classic piece of holiday entertainment, and is the centrepiece of my holiday viewing. I can't wait! This Christmas will be extra special, although when I have it in my hands on September 27th, I don't think I'll be able to wait until December!

The list price is in dollars, not pounds, so it looks like it will indeed be released in Region 1.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Excellent. I had a hard time finding a copy of this last Christmas but I eventually did and the transfer wasn't pretty. I'll be picking this up for sure, assuming it is indeed coming to R1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks