What's new

A Bug's Life CE: Re-release? (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
I was searching for this set expecting to once again find the out-of-stock/discontinued notices just on the off chance of finding it somewhere. I foolishly skipped buying it a few years ago because the price was between 30-40 bucks and I figured it would come down later. Instead, it disappeared!

Imagine my surprise when I searched this title at Amazon and found it was not yet available; to be released May 27, 2003!! And for $23! This is the only place I've seen mention of it. For those who don't know the Collector's Edition features an anamorphic transfer whereas the Gold Edition does not. Hence I will only buy the CE.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

James Reader

Screenwriter
I understand the Reissue will also include a "Finding Nemo" trailer which (obviously) was not on the first issue.

However, don't get too excited. While this may be a full on promotional featurette, it may also be nothing more than a short Disney "Sneek Peek" at the start of the disc.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I did the same search you did a month or so back.

I did find the original CE at Digital Eyes. Don't recall the price, but it was less than $30. Bought it and enjoy it.

Then I found it about the re-release. Dohhhhhh.

BGL

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The new features are "Fishy Facts" (about Finding Nemo) and a new game. The real attraction is the lower SRP.

Heinz W

Second Unit
No way! It's perfect! And the the disc art is nice too!

Much more colorful and vibrant, like the movie! :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Pffft.... it's an animated version of the standard "head shot" cover.

Plus, I betcha this sucker is in a single-wide keepcase (grrr... I hate those).

Heinz W

Second Unit
Rob is obviously the proud owner of the first CE! :D ;)

I'm not sure about your question Nick but with Disney it's best to get it while it's hot! I learned that from the first release of this set! Now I'm glad I missed it the first time 'round.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I understand that the new Bugs Life is supposed to be a different transfer. Its supposed to be the first movie to use pure digital transfer to digital dvd. That is what I read anyway.

Or, is that way Toy Story and Bugs life do anyway? I thought they went from Digital, then analog. I'm not sure.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
All Bug's Life transfers have been direct digital, but supposedly this one is THX-Certified, as if that means something.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I doubt they could really improve upon the original transfer, but maybe they will maximize the bit rate or something similar that will improve performance.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
OT, but vaguely related: is the Toy Story CE (The Ultimate Toy Box) going OOP? Or has it been re-released too? I notice amazon.ca lists it at a ridiculous price and has comments about unavailability, but it's selling locally pretty cheap now.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Amazon.ca has it for just $38 US after the $10 off coupon, before shipping. How is that a ridiculous price?

And to answer your question, yes, it is going out of print May 1.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Luke, ~Can$67 is VERY high for this set, considering the individual movie discs are available for ~Can$17. The Ultimate Toy Box is selling for Can$34 (US$23) at Best Buy right now (a good deal!), and I couldn't figure out if it was going OOP (i.e. a clearout) or new (i.e. a re-release), pretty much the only reasons BB here has discs on sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks