What's new

_Black Hawk Down_ and dirty. (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Zen. The commentary track by four members of Task Force Ranger is worth the price of admission all by itself. Viewing the film with the insight provided by those individuals was quite special. Their comments both specific to the details of the situation and their perspectives on the larger operation and the film itself were very rewarding and added greatly to my enjoyment both of the film and my appreciation for the job done by the cast and crew. Commentary tracks, generally speaking are one of my favorite S.E. features; and this one ranks up there with the best ones I've experienced.

- Walter.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
One of my buddies father is a general and is friends with the man that Tom Siezemore portrayed.

I just love this movie. Everytime I sit down in front of the DVDs to pick one to watch, I always scan over Black Hawk Down and think about a scene I like. I never push it aside without thinking about maybe watching it, like I do quite often with half my titles.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Walter, the commentary (task force ranger veterans) track is stellar and is shoulders above the other two included.
The Essence of Combat: Making of BHD is a tour de force "making of" documentary.
The mentioned documentaries including The History Channel and the awesome "Frontline:" are not mere garnish or afterthought. ..This wonderful set was my runner-up for disc of the year.
Charlie de Lauzirika is in a class, all his own.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I also found the extras stellar. I have not listened to the commentary with the Rangers, it is now on my list. The most telling extra I saw was the interview with the cast. I found it fascinating that they had to weigh their personal feelings about the military (most admitted to being a little liberal in their politics) with the awesome respect they came to have for the things these guys went through. You could tell they were uncomfortable, but also could not help heaping praise on these "brothers in arms". I found this uneasyness was in their characterizaions, showing through in the juxtaposition of the political mission vs. the careeer military men who only care "about the man beside you". The actors seemed to buy into the mindset, so much so that it really helped to not color the film with any "rah rah" patriotic statements or any overt anti-war sentiment. It just told the story of men in modern combat, as it should have.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
OK, clue me in fellas. I've only screened the film (thrice) on the first DVD release. I've not looked at any extras. Is there much in the way of extras on that first release? Or do I need this super-duper new edition to get that Frontline documentary? (Then, again, I suppose that ShopPBS.org might have that Frontline edition available in a stand-alone DVD edition.)

Oh, and I s'pose if we're gonna talk DVD here, this thread will have to be moved. But I am in serious need of being clued in.

(What are the audio options on the new release, btw? I thought the DD track was quite nice.)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I believe the transfers and audio are the same for each edition. Here's an Amazon breakdown of the differences in the extras(substantial to say the least)

FIRST RELEASE:
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
Available subtitles: English, French, Chinese, Thai

• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Dolby
• Production notes
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• On the set featurette
• Widescreen anamorphic format

NEW RELEASE:

Available subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Thai
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 5.1), Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Ridley Scott

Commentary by author Mark Bowden and screenwriter Ken Nolan

Commentary by Task Force Ranger Veterans

Theatrical trailer(s), TV spot(s)

The Essence of Combat: Making Black Hawk Down: 1. Getting It Right 2. Crash Course 3. Battlefield Morocco 4. Hymn to the Fallen 5. Digital Warriors 6. After Action Report

8 deleted & alternate scenes with optional commentary

Production design archive

Storyboards with optional commentary

Ridleygrams with optional commentary

Jerry Bruckheimer's Black Hawk Down photo album

Title design explorations with optional commentary

Photo galleries

The History Channel Presents: The True Story of Black Hawk Down

PBS Presents: Frontline: Ambush in Mogadishu

Interactive mission map/timeline

Target building insertion - multi-angle sequence with optional commentary

Question & Answer Forums: BAFTA (Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer, Josh Hartnett, Ewen McGregor, Jason Isaaca, Mark Bowden & Tom Matthews), Motion Pictures Editor's Guild (Pietro Scalia), American Cinematheque (Jerry Bruckheimer & Ridley Scott)

"Gortoz A Ran - J'Attends" music video performed by Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard

Theatrical poster concepts

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 3

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Holadem,
You might have been told this before around the HTF, but you definitely want to get Chopper rented ASAP. The film is basically a showcase of Bana and his talent. I can't quite give it a blind buy recommend, but I think you will really enjoy it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There is a new Superbit with DTS as well.

The extras on the three disc set really are superb. I neglected that commentary, which is truly special. I found it very enlightening regarding the actual events, and interesting to hear non-film people discuss a cinematic interpretation. The set is worth it for the commentary alone, IMO.

Take care,
Chuck

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
As much as I love this film, I skipped over it due to the lack of a dts track. But, I may just give it a rent if I can find it, to skim the extras. I really don't want to double-dip for extras I may watch once.

Are all the extras worthly of a second purchase?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ron-P,

I double dipped and never regretted it. I passed the original release on to my brother. The extras are worth it for the History Channel and Frontline docs alone. I've watched each a couple times.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Edwin: I probably should have checked back and clarified my comments for some of the posters that questioned them. (to be honest I just forgot about this thread, since I wasn't happy with what I had seen of the film so far) I was not "happy" about not finishing the film at the time, and I assure you I wasn't just posting to get a rise out of people. And now I don't regret finishing it, as it turns out, since I think it's extremely well done. But the opening 20 minutes or so of the film still just doesn't work for me, and really shouldn't even be there IMO, and that's why it gets the 7.5 and not a 9/10. Hope that helps! :)
-Dennis

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, the extras are truly worth it. I can't recommend the set enough. Anyone have any thought comparisons on the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks. Did anyone triple-dip? Like Jack mentioned, the DD track "quite nice." I'd say top-notch.

Ron, I will loan(bring) this to you on the 13th. Save you the trouble of hunting down the 2 extras discs.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No worries Zen. If it's truly worth the double-dip, I will. Heck, I've double-dipped on films not near as good.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
I was not "happy" about not finishing the film at the time, and I assure you I wasn't just posting to get a rise out of people.
Dennis, I don't know but sometimes, if you are half as serious as the same Dennis I met in person a few years back during in an HTF meet, then maybe, I'll take some of your posts, not just here but elsewhere, more seriously. ;)
By the way, how's that car of yours?
~Edwin

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
but you definitely want to get Chopper rented ASAP
I wasn't even aware Chopper was available in the US, definitely recommended if you want to see Bana's talents. Maybe it is because I saw this first but I haven't been super impressed with his Hollywood work, however he seems to be getting better with each film. Not sure if you know but he was a comedian and even had his own show for a couple of years.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I own all three versions. :D I don't regret it because in my opinion Black Hawk Down is the best film of the last 10-12 years. I do wish that the original single disc edition had been the Superbit release with DTS though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks