What's new

__Sean Bean - Underrated Actor__ (1 Viewer)

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
If anything, he is overrated now. ;) Most of us probably didnt even know who he was until LOTR.

Keep in mind, one great movie role doesn't an actor make. Keanu Reeves in the Matrix anyone?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, it's not fair to compare Bean to Oldman. That A vs. B would end up with many great actors, plenty of whom possess said AA statue, on the short end. Oldman is brilliant all the time, in a wider range of roles than Bean. But you can say that comparing Oldman to almosr anybody.

I am not saying Bean deserves an Oscar (though I do feel he deserved a nom in 2001). Just that he's a great actor who elevates every film he is in.

Take care,
Chuck

Beau

Supporting Actor
I knew of him WELL before LOTR and he certainly has more than one great role, just look at ANY movie mentioned in this thread.:D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It seems that I always tend to enjoy his performances. Of course I haven't watched them all and if I do see one that disappoints me I just take into consideration that every actor as a stinker or two in their body of work.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ok, time for my to list off some classic Bean quotes. My friends and I still use these today for everyday conversation.

"Lovely girl. Tastes like strawberries"

"For England, James?"

"Mind your bottom, move sure and fast."

Shawn_McD

Stunt Coordinator
Ok who cried during Boromir's death?

"I would have followed you, my brother....my captain....my KING"

That scene deserved some award...probably one of the best death scenes IN CINEMATIC HISTORY.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
While it looks like Bean will just be another 2nd fiddle action guy in a standard (likely schlock) Bruckheimer film with National Treasure, he does have what appears to be a much better film on the horizon with Flight Plan.

Jodie Foster, Peter Sarsgard, and a story pitch that sounds interestingly similar to Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes. Hopefully Grazer and company will get this project higher than pop entertainment status (iffy with him I realize).

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I don't have much to add but count me in as another Sean Bean fan. :emoji_thumbsup: I've enjoyed all the roles of his I've seen and he is one of those actors I always want to see more of.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
First off I want to congratulate Todd Terwilliger for having one of the coolest sigs ever from one of the coolest movies ever!

Second I want to know if someone will help me out with a question about the story in Sharpe.

I just finished the last of the 14 discs and I am a little disappointed that Sharpe never says anything about his baby daughter. Does anyone who may have read the books know whether or not he ever sought her out and tried to raise her with his last girlfriend.

And did Harper give in to his fears that Ramona would never be accepted in Ireland and completely abandon her and his baby as well????

These characters are heroes that risked their lives for each other I would hate to think that they would not seek out there own flesh and blood.

And another thing. I am a big fan of
Master and Commander, Horatio Hornblower , etc. and I am aware of the origins of many Navy terms ie. Halliard came about from the words Haul Yard. But one that I never here the back story on is why Lieutenant is pronounced Left tenant??? Does anyone know?

Thanks ya'll.

... and yes I think Sean Bean kicks ass too.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
In the books, Harper's Spanish wife was named Isabella and they did move to Ireland and had four children together.

Sharpe's daughter by Teresa, Antonia, was conveniently left with relative's in Portugal to be raised. No doubt a convenient plot device to prevent Sharpe from being tied down.

Source: The Sharpe Companion, London, 1998

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for that Michael.

At least I can rest assured that Harper was a stand up guy. I think Cromwell could have some cool adventure stories with his daughter being that she was born of two tough cookies.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I like him as an actor. I just wish he'd quit playing the villain 90% of the time. It's interesting that someone mentioned Gary Oldman, because I feel the same way about his career lately.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I agree. I always hated him because of the bad guys he is able to play so well.

After watching all the Sharpe series I find myself disapointed that he has not been the lead in more American movies.

And it is really interesting that Viggo and he ended up togther since they both have reputations of being rugged men that are stay clear of the typical celebraty trappings.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Thumbs up on both Sean Bean and Gary Oldman. I just watched True Romance the other night and it is amazing how entertained I am by any character Gary Oldman plays. I think one of my faves he plays was in the professional. When he talks about his affinity for classical music as they toss the guys apartment is classic Oldman.

I could watch that scene every damn day!!! Simply brilliant.
Another actor that I have become increasingly fond of in a similar vain is Don Cheadle. I love the characters he plays. He is getting another lead shot in Hotel Rowanda, the trailer looks pretty powerful.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Jason

DanR

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, there is no doubt this guy is a great actor. But I disagree he's underrated. I mean, after all, he keeps showing up in a lot of good movies which means the casting directors in Hollywood definitley respect his abilities and know who he is. I think movie-goers know who he is too.

Regards,
Dan

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Yeah, Don Cheadle is pretty great. Now Mekhi Phifer - he's a guy who shows up in a lot of things I watch but I NEVER like his characters. I just watched Dawn of the Dead, and there he was again, playing a selfish, angry jerk.

Jason Co

Second Unit
I agree Dan. I guess when people say underrated they think along the lines of Oscars and 20 million dollar paydays for the lead in a movie. I almost don't want to see Sean Bean get many leads. I would hate to see him try to carry a film that isn't right for his talents. I think he's done well choosing the roles he has played so far.
Just my 2.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks