What's new

90125 Remastered (finally) (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Cool. Can't wait to buy it. Has there been any mention of a remaster for Big Generator? I'm not too crazy about how that one sounds.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
The magazine, unfortunately, mentions that Big Genterator will not be done "due to a lack of bonus material". Sigh.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The "Ultimate Yes" compilation has a remix of "Big Generator" it's significantly shorter, and otherwise not that different from the original, but hey! Call it a bonus track and slap it on at the end of the album if you need an excuse to do a reissue. :)

Regards,

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Fine. Don't do any bonus tracks. Just reissue the thing and they will get my money.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
we are a fickle lot :D in another thread we complain about record companies squeezing us dry with reissues, and when they get some scruples and try to expand a reissue with more content...

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Anybody pick up the new 90125 yet? Best Buy and Circuit City (naturally) did not have it.

cwhite

Second Unit
I got it and listening to it now. It sounds dramatically better than the previous version, though somewhat louder than I remembered. I still have the vinyl version and it sounds equal to it in places. Circuit City had one copy and a few other Yes CDs(Drama, The YES Album and Tormato) with the new bonus tracks. The bonus tracks on 90125 are not real gems. 3 of the 6 extra tracks I have as 4 track cassette single released right after 90125(2 versions of "Leave It" and dance version of "Owner of a lonely heart"); "make it easy" a song I heard them play on the Big Generator tour many years ago. The surprise here is the Cinema version of "It Can Happen". I would rather had this album on DVD-A from Rhino, but this CD will do in the meantime.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor

I see it as two seperate issues, and have no trouble agreeing with both points.

1) Planned reissues are what I object to. If a movie company plans from the beginning to release a basebones movie or album until sales begin to wane only to release a "good version" (anamorphic, hi-rez, whatever) with the intent to sell double copies, then I think that's at worst unethical and at best shitty. This isn't the case here (unless we've got some long term planning going on :)

2) I don't consider adding various oddities, remixes, and "alternate versions" of songs to be value added. Some do, so I say include a "bonus disk". But an album, especially a well known and loved one, is an entity. And I listen to pop music in the car which automagically replays when the CD is over. Bonus tracks interupt my enjoyment of this continuity, even if only for the short time it takes to "skip 'em".

gregD

Second Unit
Another thumbs up for the 90125 remaster... excellent sound, more than I would have expected... another artistic triumph for Rhino... I sure hope they find a way to survive.

On a related topic... has anyone had an opportunity to compare the current Rhino remasters to the mid-90s Gastwirt remasters (which sound excellent to these ears)?... gotta have the best possible CTTE!... and Drama!

Thanx...

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i love YES. i had all the gastwirt remasters and i bought every one of these rhino remasters.

but the mixes still sound like sh!t to me.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I'm very leery of this reissue trend. 90125 was considered demo-quality for many years; it was produced by the brilliant brilliant Trevor Horn around the same time as he was redefining music production with the Art of Noise. At what point are we complaining about the "poor" sound of older recordings only because we're accustomed to the production techniques used today?

I will, of course, buy this, being a total Yes-head (Mike is right, by the way: Tormato blows, and "Parallels" is an awesome song). But it's supposed to sound like it was recorded in 1983. You know why? Because it was.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but with a proper, better mastering it would not change the tone of the recording so you can hear the 1983-ness more clearly.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is the song that makes me both rock out and cringe simultaneously.

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
90125 ..the very first CD I ever bought (Jan 1985). I never had any problems with the sound of it. It was probably the Trevor Horn production (or over production as some would say). But I guess a new master would make it a bit better. It must of been one of the first albums released on CD. I know when I bought mine the store had a total of about 20 different CD's to choose from. My how things have changed!

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

An excellent idea, in theory, Mike. But what is the proportion of remasters that are "proper" and respectful of the album's context to the remasters that are little more than bass boost, treble boost, volume boost and ridiculous compression?

My friend Joe just got the remastered Close to the Edge and has been crowing about its quality and the Yes renaissance it's sparking for him. But my original Atlantic CD release sounds very crisp and real to me, especially "Siberian Khatru," which I find to be one of the best-recorded and best-presented Yes songs ever. It sounds like 1972. I want it to sound like 1972.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hmmm... I have the vinyl of 90215 as well as a promo single release of "Owner of a Lonely Heart" (with some remixes). Always sounded decent to me. However, I find most Yes on CD is pretty flat and I always stuck with the vinyls. My favorite Yes album is still The Yes Album.

On a side note, I saw the Yes reunion tour, I guess it was about 15 years ago, where they had both ensembles of Yes together in the round. Of course Rick Wakeman was awesome as well as Steve Howe. There was obvious competition between Howe and Trevor Rabin, as Rabin was trying in vain to keep up with Howe. It was a great show. It was the last concert I would go to up until the recent Simon and Garfunkel tour.

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
I did not know that Yes had a bad album. As they are coming on tour this summer I would advise all to go and see them.

As a vinyl junkie, I can say that the CD version is a little
harsh compared to vinyl. Of course Live at the House of Blues sounds way better than vinyl on DVD. Cheers.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor

Oh yes, they do. It's called Open Your Eyes. My opinion, of course.

I'll maintain to my dying day that there's an awful lot of good music on Tormato.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks