What's new

8mm film transfer (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
A lot of the threads on this subject are several years old and don't reflect the options to transfer to Blu-ray or editable formats, like videoconversionexperts.com offers.

Anyone have direct experience with them or someone similar? I imagine conversion to DVD would suffice, but having them in higher definition format and even in editable form is intriguing.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I, too, seek a service that can do a decent transfer, although in my case I need an outfit that can work with Super 8 sound (magnetic stripe) film and squeeze as much quality from the old, thin stripe as is possible while also providing a nice, sharp image. A tall order for films 30-40 years old, I know. But has anyone out there any recommendations? Economy, of course, is a consideration.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wound up going with gotmemories.com mainly because they had extensive videos about how they perform their transfers. The customer service was also very good and they were willing to work with my budget. I still need to get the end product, which I expect to have next week. Will post more information then.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got my film back and am pleased overall, though there are a couple curious things.

I knew I was getting standard definition transfers and can't complain about the quality on DVD. They provided me with the transfers as MOV files, which are clearly 480i. I guess I didn't expect that for some reason. It also seems a little strange that the amount of data they said it would take up on the flash drive I sent them is significantly less than they estimated (e.g. 900' of film comes in at around 8 GB, not the ~30 GB they said). I'll probably just send them an email about that. I'll have a sample up to share shortly.

EDIT: Looking back at the info, I think the person I worked with miscalculated the amount of data it would take up, as their printed info says about 15 MB per foot.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
YouTube didn't seem to like the Apple Intermediate Codec and failed in the processing phase, so I had to import to iMovie and do the basic "large" export as M4V.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Many thanks for your report. I will investigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks