What's new

80's Slasher movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well that saves starting a new thread (a new thread, a checklist where you post a list of horror/slasher horror film titles, and if they are available on DVD the list can be updated).

I checked on Amazon.com and Final Exam (1981) was released on DVD. It's not OOP but the price being charged on there is high. The name of the distributor on it's Amazon.com listing page is Navarre Corporation.

Was Lover's Lane (1999) shot in widescreen, as on the Amazon.com listing page it says the DVD is presented in a 1.33:1 ratio?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Who owns the rights to the following horror/slasher horror titles, and have they been released on DVD? If they are unreleased on DVD, then they're suggestions for release on DVD.

Blood Beach (1980)

Cries in the Night (1980)

Death Valley (1982)

Double Exposure (1983)

Fatal Pulse (1988)

Graduation Day (1981) (there are two Amazon.com listings for it, but both releases are fullscreen)

Mirage (1990)

New Year's Evil (1980)

Nightkill (1980)

The Pack (1977) (it says in a news article reply on RetroSlashers.com and the IMDb thread for this film that it's being released by Warner Archive. Is this still true?)

Too Scared to Scream (1985).

Bad Dreams (1988) and Visiting Hours (1982) are being released by Shout! Factory for Halloween.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Blood Beach (1980) Paramount

Death Valley (1982) Universal

Double Exposure (1983) Crown (had releases through BCI, and Mill Creek)

New Year's Evil (1980) MGM

Nightkill (1980) Lions Gate via StudioCanal

The Pack (1977) (it says in a news article reply on RetroSlashers.com and the IMDb thread for this film that it's being released by Warner Archive. Is this still true?) it is a Warner title

Too Scared to Scream (1985) MGM. MGMMGM

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
NIGHTKILL is a pedestrian mystery, with an overqualified cast, that went straight to TV in 1980.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

NIGHTKILL is a pedestrian mystery, with an overqualified cast, that went straight to TV in 1980.

But like any film, it's down to personal opinion. And even if there are negative comments about a film which I'm interested in seeing (Nightkill being one of them), I still want to see it. So was Nightkill shot as a feature film, but ended up premiering on TV instead?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by walter o

Blood Beach (1980) Paramount

Death Valley (1982) Universal

Double Exposure (1983) Crown (had releases through BCI, and Mill Creek)

New Year's Evil (1980) MGM

Nightkill (1980) Lions Gate via StudioCanal

The Pack (1977) (it says in a news article reply on RetroSlashers.com and the IMDb thread for this film that it's being released by Warner Archive. Is this still true?) it is a Warner title

Too Scared to Scream (1985) MGM. MGMMGM

Thanks Walter. I'm interested in Nightkill and Too Scared to Scream because of the Mannix connection (Mike Connors starring).

I did see something on the IMDb production company info page for Double Exposure (1983), saying Mill Creek.

So if MGM have plans to continue with their MOD program, I'm hoping New Year's Evil and Too Scared to Scream are brought out as MOD titles.

I'm not hoping out any hopes for Death Valley to be released if Universal own the rights (I'm thinking of the possibility of Halloween II (1981) getting a 30th anniversary SE release this year).

Was Lover's Lane (1999) shot in widescreen?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, NIGHTKILL was intended for theatrical release, but it plays exactly like a TV show. I saw the one and maybe only primetime telecast in Dec. 80.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

These days it's nothing unusual for an episode of a TV show to be given a 15 or 18 certificate by the BBFC.

Don't see much chance of it being released on DVD if Lions Gate own the rights to it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think it was released on VHS in the UK by Polygram Video, but who now owns the rights to The Clown at Midnight (1998), which stars Christopher Plummer and Margot Kidder?

Who owns the rights to the TV movie Midnight Offerings?

Can anyone confirm what the print quality is like on the Mill Creek releases for Double Exposure (1983) and Drive-In Massacre (1977)?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I was trying to remember what else Liberation Entertainment has released on DVD, and then I remembered The House on Sorority Street (1983). Hopefully Mortuary will be remastered as well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by WaveCrest
Who owns the rights to the TV movie Midnight Offerings?

I think Paramount owns this TV movie. It is a Steven J. Cannell Production and while most of his productions are handled by Universal, I seem to recall this being part of the Paramount library. But that might be just international rights.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Who owns the rights to these 80's slashers:

Formula for a Murder (1985)

Hide and Go Shriek (1988) - it was available as part of a four film DVD boxset in the UK, but it appears to be OOP (read this in an IMDb forum thread for the film).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I doubt this will ever see the light of day on DVD, because of the movie clips shown in the film....Terror in the Aisles (1984), starring Donald Pleasance and Nancy Travis. Looking at it's IMDb company credits page I think Universal own the rights to the movie.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

I doubt this will ever see the light of day on DVD, because of the movie clips shown in the film....Terror in the Aisles (1984), starring Donald Pleasance and Nancy Travis. Looking at it's IMDb company credits page I think Universal own the rights to the movie.

I love this movie and still have my VHS copy, one of only about a dozen titles I have on VHS.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some more suggestions:

American Nightmare (1983) - Canadian slasher horror film

The Last Night (1983) - UK horror film

Screamtime (1983) - UK horror/slasher anthology film.

I recommend the website Hysteria Lives! as a good slasher horror film website. The link to the website is below:

Hysteria Lives! website

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Update to previous post - American Nightmare (1983) is being released by Scorpion Releasing, sometime between September and March next year.

bravodwayne

Auditioning
Real Name
bravo wayne
My 80s action movies
1. Commando
2. Rambo: First Blood
3. Predator
4. Terminator
5. Robocop
6. Road House
7. Die Hard

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by ahollis

I love this movie and still have my VHS copy, one of only about a dozen titles I have on VHS.

It appears that Terror in the Aisles will be included as an extra on Universal's 30th anniversary Blu-ray (US) release of Halloween II in September (posted a Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix news article in the Halloween thread, which is currently on page 1 of the DVD folder).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Had been considering getting the 1984 slasher Don't Open Till Christmas for a while. Checked Amazon.com for the film (it was released in the UK by Film 2000. Not totally sure if that release is uncut though), and found a DVD pre-order listing for a release by a label called Mondo Macabro. Vaguely heard of this label. The release date is Tuesday 6th December.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Front cover artwork for Mondo Macabro's DVD release of Don't Open Till Christmas (1984) (source: Amazon.com):

Whether it will be included as an extra I don't know, but there was a making of documentary (4:3 aspect ratio) for Don't Open Till Christmas included as an extra on Mondo Macabro's DVD release of Living Doll (1990).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks