What's new

8 Abbott & Costello Films Coming! (2/10/04) (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
So far, I've had ZERO problems with:

ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS
BUCK PRIVATES
IN THE NAVY
HOLD THAT GHOST .....

:)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Like Joe, I have had no problems with these disks.

I have not watched One Night in The Tropics,
nor have I finished In The Navy
or Buck Privates, but all the others
on both discs have had no lock ups or skips.

I did play the openning to Buck Privates to see
if it experienced any problems like those mentioned in
this thread, and it didn't.

*sigh of relief*

Mark

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear that not everyone is having problems with this release. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and buy 'em, and worry about problems later.

By the way, how is the picture quality on HOLD THAT GHOST? That's one of my favorite A&C flicks.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
HOLD THAT GHOST looks fine to these eyes. I've also watched ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS, PARDON MY SARONG, and part of BUCK PRIVATES. All look good. I look forward to the next batch.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
No troubles with KEEP 'EM FLYING, either (so that's 5 for 5!) :)

As for the quality, I'm very pleased with the look of the transfers with the exception of IN THE NAVY, which was probably the weakest to my eyes. Still a great job by Universal, though - and a real bargain :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
With more people not having any problems its looking like some of the defects are just a bad batch of discs. A friend of mine who has the same player(Panny s35) as I do had no problems with his set.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Seen 6 of the 8 films on a Panasonic and no problems at all. Side I haven't seen is the one with Pardon My Sarong. Looking forward to set 2 and presumably a 3rd and final set to complete the A & C Universal films?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By my count there will be FOUR volumes.

Set TWO has been announced as:

1.Hit The Ice
2.In Society
3.Here Come The Coeds
4.The Naughty Nineties
5.Lttle Giant
6.The Time Of Their Lives
7.Buck Privates Come Home
8.The Wistful Widow Of Wagon Gap
9.Abbott & Costello Meet Jerry Seinfeld

My guess is that Set Three will probably contain:

1.Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein (? since it is already available)
2.Mexican Hayride
3.Abbott & Costello Meet The Killer Boris Karloff
4.Abbott & Costello In The Foreign Legion
5.Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man
6.Comin' Round The Mountain
7.Lost In Alaska
8.Supplement?

And Finally, Set FOUR will probably contain:

1.Abbott & Costello Go To Mars
2.Abbott & Costello Meet Dr.Jekyll And Mr.Hyde
3.Abbott & Costello Meet The Keystone Cops
4.Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy (also available now)
5.The World Of Abbott And Costello
6.Supplements

As others have mentioned, I hope the rest of the Non-Universal films get released as beautifully as these have. Soon!

*edited to include set two and put the Widow in her proper set.;)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
"Wistful Widow" is already slated for Volume II, so my guess is that the third set will cover "Frankenstein" to "Lost In Alaska" with the concluding collection gathering the remainder of the Universal output (although I could do without "The World Of Abbott And Costello", with that intruding narration by Jack E. Leonard...sounds like someone had just woken him up and pointed a mike and a script in his face).

In a dream world, space on the 4th volume would be utilized wisely in terms of extras (retrospective documentary a'la the one Universal produced for the original A & C Meet Frankenstein), but since most of the "Franchise" packages have been pretty much bonus deprived (save for trailers), I'm not getting my hopes up. But to have the movies out there more than compensates....

It's so cool to see how much this thread has grown in the last three months...Nice to see so many of the A & C faithful out there.

J.

RudolphT

Agent
Of course I'll get them all, but with Frankenstein & Mummy in great remasters & Foreign Legion OK, really looking forward to Mars & Keystone Cops.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hold that Ghost looks great! Who done it... not sot hot. Too bad as it is my fave. And the sound is pretty bad, VERY hissy and the end jumps several decibals volume-wise it seems....

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks for catching that Jeffrey. I have edited my post to correct my mistake.

The reason I thought the Widow would be on the third set is that they have put two films on each side of a dual layer double sided disc. Either they squeeze that Seinfeld 45 min special on side 8 or perhaps it's edited.

My wife and I have been watching these in order with NO problems through Ride 'em Cowboy. She hasn't seen most of them so watching them with her is like seeing them for the first time again. She LOVES them as is evident from her virtually non stop laughing!:laugh:. I can't say enough how great this set is. The wonderfully nostalgic memories that these films bring back are great. THANKS again Universal! This is the best DVD bargain ever!:emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Yeingst

Auditioning
I've watched 3 films so far :

Ride 'em Cowboy
Hold That Ghost
Buck Privates

I did have a problem with Buck Privates. The film locked up at the begining of the interior train scenes. It then jumped to the dice scene inside the train. I tested this on three players.

I tested this on three players :

ProScan PS8680Z
Panasonic CP72
Pioneer ??

My son's Pioneer and the Panasonic both had the problem. The ProScan player did not have the problem.

Craig

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Got through my set this weekend and with no problems. It seems from what has been posted here and what I read on a couple other forums that these problems are either from scratched disks or they are player related.

I can't recommend this set enough. What a value for some geat comedy classics. The transfers on these are great as well. I have owned these films in all formats: recorded from TV, Official VHS release, Laserdisc, the earlier DVD's and this is by far the best these films have looked and sounded. The sound is what really stood out to me and the new and improved transfers for Buck Privates and Hold that Ghost. These two really stood out transfer-wise compared to previous releases.
Bring on Volume 2. The rest of my Universal favorites will be in that set.:emoji_thumbsup:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I watched Pardon My Sarong and had no problems with that as well. It is such a pleasure to be able to introduce these comedy classics to my kids. It seems as if it stands the test of time because they laugh as much as I did as a kid.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was hoping for just a meet a monster collection of A&C, as I've never really watched A&C movies. With all the positive word of mouth, and the fact that you can get 8 films dirt cheap, I might as well pick this up!

This damn forum is getting expensive!;)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I watched all 8 films without the slightest problem at all.
I just bought a new SONY player two months ago, and I'm curious ... for those people who had troubles with the discs, would your players be older models, by any chance? I ask because I'd be relieved to know that more updated machines cure the ills.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks