What's new

8 Abbott & Costello Films Coming! (2/10/04) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have the DVD right in front of me.

Tropics runs 1hr. 23 minutes

Is it edited?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
I don't think this version is edited as the actual running time on my dvd player was about 30 seconds shy of 83 minutes while the film books I own indicate a 82 minute running time for this movie.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Am I the only one that thinks "Who Done It" without any musical numbers is their funniest film? The film from beginning to end made me laugh.

Crawdaddy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Epstein and Mr. Crawford - thanks for the update. I agree with Mr. Crawford that it does not appear to be edited since it has the full running time.

This is great news. I know A&C fans everywhere will be glad to hear this. From what I understand, it was Bob Furmanek himself that alerted Universal to the missing footage and was able to get it reinstated for the VHS version that came out in the early 90s.

I'm glad to hear all the postive reports on "Buck Privates" as well. It's hard to believe the VHS versions of these movies were sold individually at retail for about the same price as this entire set!

Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Steve

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Who Done It is definitely one of A&C's best non musical comedies, but my favorite is The Time Of Their Lives.

Tommorrow can't come fast enough!:b

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Charles, thank you for your kind words. We tried to write the most complete book possible on the making of Bud and Lou's films, and I'm glad that you enjoyed our efforts.

That's good news about Tropics. When I read that it had a replaced title, I was concerned they were using the edited Realart version. This was done when they re-issued the film in 1950. It went right from the opening credits to the scene where Bob Cummings is writing his apology letter. That's the version that was shown on TV up until the early 90's.

When we were researching our book, we found an original 1940 dialogue and continuity script in the studio files. I brought it to the attention of Mike Fitzgerald at Universal, and he searched the vaults. They finally located an un-cut dupe nitrate fine grain in England, and that was used for the transfer which first appeared on home video in the early nineties.

I also hope they have used the correct transfer of Buck Privates. For years, MCA Home Video has used a transfer from the early 80's, which has Realart titles, distorted audio (a variable density track which was printed too light) and a jump splice in the tie routine. The studio finally restored the film in the mid-nineties, and created a new video transfer which was included in their TV syndication package. I hope the video division was able to utilize that new transfer for this DVD release.

Bob

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I just wanted to post how excited I am for these and the Marx Bros collections. When I was growing up there was an old movie on every Sunday at noon (A&C, Marx Bros, Henry Aldrich ("coming mother!"), Ma and Pa Kettle, Blondie, Andy Hardy, etc) and I watched them all. These movies just don't get shown on TV anymore. I have a two year old and I've often felt disappointed that he wouldn't have the chance to view all these films growing up. I'm thrilled to get these on DVD finally.

He's just starting to laugh when he sees something funny. Maybe he'll let me slip in some A&C during lunch rather than the usual Sesame Street?

-paul

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I recieved my copy last night and immediatly threw in Buck Privates and 25 seconds into it during the opening credits it froze and had I to jump to the next chapter which is the start of the movie. Upon further examination I found it froze between 25 and 45 seconds. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my copy? The picture quality is not that great. The boxing scene has a greenish tint to it at times and alot of dirt and grain are visible through the movie, although parts of the movie look good. The movie itself is great with some great skits throughout.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I watched Tropics last night, and have mixed feelings. The picture is very sharp and quite nice, but the contrast is too harsh, with very dark blacks and hot whites. The old VHS has a much more satisfying gray scale. The DVD audio is also much noisier, with an abundance of hiss not heard on the VHS transfer.

The worst part is the replaced opening credit, and end title. Both of these are complete and original on the VHS.

I don't understand why they don't compare transfers, and mix and match to get the best possible (and most complete) version for the DVD. Those original titles could have been cut in, and would have been much better than the replaced ones in this version.

It was nice to finally see the original 1940 trailer (I had only seen the shortened Realart re-issue) but, it's a textless element! (The re-issue trailer I've seen had all the text.) You'll notice a few shots of Bud and Lou that are not in the final film, including Lou repeating his "I'm a bad boy" gag.

I looked at the opening of Buck Privates, and it does appear (thank goodness) to be the newer transfer, with the original titles and distortion-free audio.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Was watching "Pardon My Sarong". And at the 1:00:41 mark my DVD player(RCA DRC310) just froze up. Completely locked-up to the point where I had to unplug it to get it to reset. I changed players(Panny S35) and I still had the same problem. Hopefully this is just a random defective disc and is not wide spread. Real bummer as I was really looking forward to this set. Oh well, better luck with the next set.

Damn! Damn! Damn!:angry: :angry: :angry:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Your favorite is also one of mine. I can't wait to have that film on dvd.
It's coming on May 4th. Volume 2 will include:

* Hit The Ice
* In Society
* Here Come The Co-Eds
* The Naughty Nineties
* Little Giant
* The Time Of Their Lives
* Buck Privates Come Home
* The Wistful Widow Of Wagon Gap

and something new:

* Abbott and Costello Meet Jerry Seinfeld

--Bill

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
My first copy did the same during Hold That Ghost. Unfortunately, dual-sided, dual-layered discs are more prone to such problems.
Then why not 4 SS DL discs instead? I'd rather pay a few bucks more to avoid the problems, then have to run back and forth exchanging discs.

My 2nd copy is not going good either. I cant even get the 1st chapter of "Buck Privates" to play. Skips right to chapter 2 when you hit play from the menu. :angry: :angry: :angry: I'm just going to return it and get a refund. But will still give Universal a call and complain about the QC on this set. This was something I really wanted. Now I can't have it because no matter what set I get, there is a problem with one movie or another. BALLS!!!!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, I had the pleasure of watching "Keep 'em Flying" last night and thought overall that the picture was good. I am pleased thus far and had many laughs. I'll have to watch a couple more before pulling the trigger on Vol. 2.

William Miller

Second Unit
My copy freezes up on Hold That Ghost at the beginning on the "moving candle" scene. I haven't watched the other 3 movies yet.

Since the reports of problems with this DVD are starting to pour in, I am afraid this joyous release is turning into a real mess. If the problem is with double-sided, double-layered discs, then this certainly casts a very dark cloud over the entire Franchise and Legacy series. I haven't watched my Ma & Pa Kettle yet but now I am very nervous about it.

I am one of those collectors that likes one movie on one DVD. I know when they cram many on one release it is perceived as a bargain. But if Hold That Ghost was on one DVD, I would have only one movie that is defective. But in this case, I feel I have 8 movies that are defective even if the others ones in the set play O.K. which I have a feeling they won't.

Very depressing.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well, it sounds like Universal has !#@&^(*!#^ed up again!!!

I'm glad that I held off on this release and didn't sell my Image version of "Buck Privates". I was extremely nervous when this set was announced, one because it was from Univesal and two because they were cramming too much material on to two few discs for too low of a price.

Universal is taking the bargain basement route in most of their releases right now and I'm avoiding them like the plague.

This is really sad, because I would have bought this in a heartbeat if the proper amount of effort and respect was put into them.

It looks like I'll be waiting for the Marx Bros. set for my classic 30s & 40s comedy.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This is really sad, because I would have bought this in a heartbeat if the proper amount of effort and respect was put into them.
And yet you've kept the Image Buck Privates DVD, which had no more effort put into it and initially cost the same as the Universal set, minus seven movies.

The only major negative with the Universal set is that the chosen format (dual-sided, dual-layered) is prone to errors and calls for higher quality control. There are going to be bad copies. The same thing happened with my first copies of Gilligan's Island (Warner) and Green Acres (MGM).

It's disappointing that there are defective copies of the Abbott and Costello set. But how can one complain that the price is too low? Obviously, Universal felt it had to meet a certain price point to justify the films' release, which didn't include copious extras. Once you get a copy that works properly--and, really,getting two in a row is bad luck--it's tough to quibble with what's on the discs for the price.

But enjoy not having the set.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well said Randy
This has nothing to do with cramming, its all the old Software/Hardware/Encoding Player compatibility issue that affects many dual layered disks and as Randy said doubled sided ones are more prone to errors. I got a good Green Acres the 1st time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on Abbbott and Costello and Ma & Pa Kettle.

Also that Marx Brothers set has 2 disks that have 2 movies and extras on a disk that will be more "crammed" than the Abbott and Costello disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks