What's new

8 Abbott & Costello Films Coming! (2/10/04) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Great news for fans of the legendary Abbott & Costello.

Eight (count 'em, eight) films from their initial heyday will be released from Universal on February 10th, 2004 in a 2 disc set (dual sided DVD 18 discs).

The films included in The Best Of Abbott & Costello, Vol. 1:

One Night in the Tropics
Buck Privates
In the Navy
Hold That Ghost
Keep 'Em Flying
Ride 'Em Cowboy
Pardon My Sarong
Who Done It?

From a post on the fan forum at the duo's official web site, most of the team's output for Universal will be released in additional sets throughout 2004. Bud and Lou's encounters with The Invisible Man and Boris Karloff (Meet The Killer-Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde) won't be here soon enough (in addition to classics like The Time Of Their Lives and Little Giant).

Way to go Universal!

Jeffrey

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Promising news ; I'm not a big Abbott and Costello fan but I might invest in this if it is cheap which it looks like it probably will be. What about WC Fields and Mae West next ?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This is great news.

Universal did a nice job with these on VHS, creating a "night at the movies" with cartoons, news reels and film shorts--like Warner's recent two-disc classics. These DVDs appear not to duplicate that presentation.

But I'll take them any way they come.
:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Awesome news! It's about time Universal
acknowledges the great comedy team of Abbott and Costello, especially since Bud and Lou saved the studio from bankruptcy!!

Keep 'Em Coming!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I like Abbott and Costello, but not very
familiar with their films (other than MEETS
THE MONSTERS series).

Any of these titles that are a MUST BUY or are
there better ones coming out?

If you think any one or more of these is a must
buy (represents them at their best), please list
which are worth considering.

Thanks

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Ron (and everyone),

As a long time fan, I feel you can't go wrong with this top five:

Buck Privates: Their first film as headliners and an absolute gem. Full of classic moments like the dice game on the train, the drill formation sequence (which had to be re-shot numerous times because they kept breaking the extras up), the "40-10" routine and a classic boxing sequence. All this and the Andrews Sisters singing Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, too!

Hold That Ghost-Belongs in the same league as The Ghost Breakers and Scared Stiff as great black & white horror comedies. Look out for that moving candle!

Who Done It?-My personal fave of the early movies involving a murder that takes place during a live radio broadcast; the boys are soda jerks trying to break into show biz. Great supporting cast featuring a young Mary Wickes and many classic routines (Alexander Two Two, Two Two) including a great in-joke involving their most famous routine I don't dare give away.

The Time Of Their Lives-A terrific departure from their usual formula with Lou as a ghost from the Revolutionanry War-era whose spirit has remained on the estate of his fateful end until evidence can clear him of treason.

Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man-Although I love "Meet Frankenstein", I feel this horror movie spoof holds up much better due to the superior comedy and terrific special effects (including a great closing gag).

As for the first batch of titles coming in February, there's not a bad movie in that bunch, so I recommend that package without hesitation. In addition to all the other horror movie spoofs, I also have fond memories of Pardon My Sarong, Hit The Ice, Little Giant, Keep 'Em Flying and Ride 'Em Cowboy. Although spotty, latter day films like Buck Privates Come Home, In Society ("the Susquehanna Hat Company?!"), The Naughty Nineties, Lost In Alaska, Mexican Hayride and Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion have more than their share of funny moments to offset the so-so storylines.

Jeffrey

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Naughty Nineties - Includes the Who's on First routine.

- Steve

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Every one of the films being released has merit, but HOLD THAT GHOST, BUCK PRIVATES and WHO DONE IT? are all comic gems. I think you'll really enjoy them.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
In a future set do pay attention to THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES, probably the most atmospheric and poignant (if that's the word) film the team ever made. A wonderful fantasy-comedy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronbo,
I'm a big fan of Abbott & Costello their movies listed used to play on Channel 11 alot back in the day. I couldn't recommend that dvd set more if I tried.

Crawdaddy

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you think any one or more of these is a must...
The retail for this set is going to be $24.95 for the 8 movies (according to Universal's b2b site) - that works out to less than $3.25 per movie. Buy it today - I think this is the best deal ever offered by a major studio!

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald,
I have to second, third, and fourth everyone else's opinion. You really can't go wrong with anything that Abbott and Costello have done. But, of these movies, definitely Hold That Ghost, Buck Privates, and Who Done It? are highlights. Also, you can find episodes out there of their old tv show. That would be my personal opinion of where to start with these guys. The show, along with their radio work, is my favorite of theirs.

And, Peter, you're right. With that price, I'll be first in line to pick this one up. Thanks!

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I used to watch these movies on tv when I was growing up. My favorite film was "The Time of their Lives." I especially like it when Costello says "Zounds!" to the woman who was a psychic since she was able to hear the ghosts. She was sort of creepy as I recall.

perrin

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The top three that everyone else has mentioned here would be my choices as well: Buck Privates, Who Done It, and Hold That Ghost. Seems we're all in agreement... though I can't think of a single A&C movie that I didn't enjoy.

If the $24.95 price for the set is true, this is a steal... and a MUST BUY!

Looking forward to these!

-Scott

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
This set looks very promising -- if all goes well, it'll join Universal's outstanding double feature series' already on the market (Bob Hope, Bing Crosby), and indeed their triple feature release (Burns & Allen) as one of the great classic film bargains.

They need to ensure image quality, which means at least one layer per film. But I can't imagine they'd fail to live up to their excellent doubles and triples. :emoji_thumbsup: Heck, one of the Bing doubles was a DVD-14, giving A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, a lovely Technicolor transfer, a dual-layered presentation. And their double of Bing's Rhythm on the Range/Rhythm on the River is one of the great price-to-content values out there, with very pleasing transfers of both films (particularly Rhythm on the River).

This is very exciting news.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I will buy this set without hesitation, even though I still think the funniest A&C can be found on their tv series. The first season is hilarious, full of burlesque routines, non-sequiturs, and craziness. For the second season, someone decided they needed stories with plots, and a lot of the fun was lost.

There is a series of DVDs with four shows per (and well transferred), but they are not chronological--so the hysterical first season is intermixed with the rather tired and bland second season. But I wouldn't be without 'em; I just skip over the later episodes and watch the classic season one gems.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It would be nice if they can add the outtakes from(Hit the Ice/Buck Privates Come Home) that are in the A&C Comedy Collection LD Box Set.

They also had great outtakes from "Africa Screams", but that was released by UA. :D

Ron Kaye

Agent
Who Done It? Is Great!

Then again, I love all of the A&C Stuff.

Great memories of watching Ch. 11 '11 Alive' as a kid!

Go get em Ron!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks