1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

75 Ohm Cripmer that doesn't run 50 dollars?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric_Connelly, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Well-Known Member

Our TV sits partly in a recessed area in our Great Room. I plan on retiling our upstairs bathroom and thought this recessed area was a good place to practice.

The guy had drilled a hole just the size of the cable and it wouldn't fit back down the hole with the connector on it.

I whacked it off figuiring I'll just recrimp it afterwards...well then I couldnt find a crimper for under 50 bux.

I need this once....and only once....is there a half way decent cheap way to do this?

I'm half tempted to stop by the Dish Store a mile away that I had setup our system and ask him to borrow one for 15 minutes [​IMG]

Also where can I get the good 75ohm end connectors? RS and Home Depot didn't have the good ones, this is for a cable running from the Dish to to a diplexer that splits into a 811 HD unit.

Thanks

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    See about borrowing one. I would recommend using a compression fitting.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt Well-Known Member

Wayne
    If not, you can get twist-on F-connectors at Radio Shack and the hardware stores. If you install them properly I’ve found they work surprisingly well, especially if you don’t have a need to disconnect and re-connect them a lot.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Well-Known Member

I agree with Wayne. I've had excellent luck with the twist ons but mostly use the regular crimp style with a $12 tool. I have $100 compression crimp tool and loads of the compression f-connectors but it's very difficult to use correctly, so I don't use it b/c I'm always in a hurry and don't want to mess with it.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I am the total opposite of Dean. I have never had much luck with twist ons or the crimp style, but have found compression fittings to be much easier to install and provide a much better connection.