1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

75% of 18-34 year olds stream video on Connected TV's

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Kevin Collins, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    NPD came out with are report that shows that 75% of arguably the most desired demographic watch OTT content. This is primarily from Netflix and Youtube. This is followed by Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Crackle, Playstation and XBox.

This is in contrast to 68% of the same demographic watching content from their wired / satellite provider.

It seems like the disruptor of streaming video content is starting to become a reality, much like the iPod/MP3 was a disruptor to the CD.

It's kind of a shame that convenience always trumps quality....

2. Towergrove

Towergrove Well-Known Member

I know the article is about Streaming but as a disruptor, downloads (not just streaming)are also part of that equation as well. I should also point out that while the ipod and mp3 are also disruptors the CD continues to be manufactured and continues to bring in a lot of $$$ for the industry which it serves.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I find it funny that articles talking about streaming keep getting...Services (Netflix/Hulu)Devices (PS3/XBox/Roku)Combined into one.

4. Towergrove

Towergrove Well-Known Member

Yes and it probably makes the survey results skewed which makes it pretty much worthless.

5. rich_d

rich_d Well-Known Member

Rich
    Kevin,

Article link?

Thanks,

Rich

6. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

I'm sorry, what exactly is the "quality" you're referring to, in current broadcast-cable TV?

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I know exactly what Kevin is referring to.

I have plasma TVs, so I can see the difference between 720P OTA, 720P Directv and 720P Netflix.

OTA picture quality(provided you can get a non-jumbled signal like I can) is the best. Period.

Streaming is behind the 8-ball. And for me, because of where I live, always will be.

Now if you live in the bottom 3 floors of a Chicago apt building where your OTA sucks and your only option is Concast or Time Werner(which have crap pictures compared to Dish and Directv)...then you probably won't know the difference between the three.

Richard V likes this.
  8. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    I can second that. I switched from Direct TV to U-verse and immediately noticed the difference in PQ.