What's new

720p projector on a budget (1 Viewer)

inoita11

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
As the title states, I'm looking for a budget 720p projector for a home theater I'm going to put together. I'm thinking to stay in the 500-600 dollar range. If there is something there that is a little more expensive than that and is leaps and bounds better than others in the range I can go more. I'm going to be mostly using it for movies, some gaming. It'll be in a basement with no windows so not much light will be getting in. I'll be hanging it off a 9 foot ceiling projecting on a wall that is 9'8" wide.

I've searched plenty and read reviews and haven't come up with a definitive match for what I need. Not decided on DLP or LED yet, seen mixed things about both of them.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree on buying a 1080p. Buying a 720p in 2014 is silly, especially a projector.

Beware though, the projector Foxy linked to(HD131) uses a 2x color wheel speed. If you are susceptible to rainbows, you WILL see them with that projector.

What is your throw distance(lens to screen)?

What is your desired screen size?

inoita11

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Throw distance can be as far as I want within reason(35 feet). Don't have a desired screen size. The wall is about 9'8" wide, not really sure what would work best on that. By the looks of it, I will probably just end up spending 1k on a decent 1080p. I know you get what you pay for but its my first theater so I'm going budget first then will build from here.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Considering a projector and screen/paint is under $1500...and an 80" crap TV is twice That.You need to figure out your seating. A 9' wide wall means an enormous picture.The BenQ W1070, at 12', creates a 130" image with 18fl. Bit too much size for that projector...but there you go.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
inoita11 said:
Throw distance can be as far as I want within reason(35 feet). Don't have a desired screen size. The wall is about 9'8" wide, not really sure what would work best on that. By the looks of it, I will probably just end up spending 1k on a decent 1080p. I know you get what you pay for but its my first theater so I'm going budget first then will build from here.
That's a very narrow screen wall. Remember, you need to leave room for your front speakers. You need to determine what speakers you will use, so you know how much wall space you have left for the screen width.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I shoot 10' wide with an SP4805 (16x9). That above linked Optoma will be my replacement when the lamp finally fails. (seating at 16-20') Against an 8' high wall, 25" remain under the screen, probably enough for speakers without sacrificing screen width.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jim is right in saying that the colour wheel in the Optoma could be a problem if you are prone to rainbows, if you can get a demo then do so, if you are increasing your budget then more projectors are available at good prices, you also don't necessary have to buy brand new. Whatever you buy you should consider purchasing Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition to do a quick calibration.

It all depends on certain factors, do you want 3D, if so then a high lumen output is essential otherwise it's going to be a dimmer experience, if your budget is increased then something like the Benq W1070 might be a great choice, just remember contrast is the weak link with DLP compared to other tech, if you are not prone to seeing rainbows then everything else it excels at, contrast though is very important, some DLP's do have better contrast than others.

If 3D isn't so important i'd recommend a used Sharp XV-Z20000, it has possibly the highest native contrast going for a one chip DLP, it can still be found secondhand, image quality will be superior to any Benq, it just doesn't do 3D, the follow up is the Sharp XV-Z30000 and it's also better than the Benqs and does 3D, prices are high for those so you would need to search secondhand, probably best just going for a Benq W1070 or Optoma HD25 if you are increasing the budget.

The biggest problem for front projection is the room, if you can make the ceiling and walls dark then do so, it improves image quality considerably, especially the ceiling, you can also buy certain screens which can help with the contrast and stop the image being washed out, unfortunately those screens are expensive, here in the UK we have the Draper React 2.1, much better than the Black Diamonds at a fraction of the price, i believe the Draper is sold in the USA but uses an inferior screen material. ( or did )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks