What's new

70MM FILMS -HOW MANY HAVE YOU SEEN? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
AdrianTurner said:
I am not sure what the OP - Cinerama10 - is asking here. Certainly everyone's responses so far are inconsistent.

A: Do you mean the number of times you have been to the cinema to see a 70mm presentation which might, for instance, include the fourth or eighth viewing of, say, Ben-Hur. In which case several hundred might well be feasible.

B: Or are you asking how many films MADE in 65mm/70mm have you seen in their original format which would mean that each title can only be counted once. In which case your total of 175 could not be achieved. Or that a film like The Towering Inferno, cited by DP70, could not be included as it was not shot in 65mm/70mm. Or if you only ever saw Mutiny on the Bounty in 35mm that would not count either.

C: And are you including blow-ups?

Personally, for me to get involved in this game, you need to set the rules. I only really only approve option B.
My list of 174 includes blow-ups shown in 70mm. The 174 is the actual number of different films I saw that were screened in 70mm..If you want to include the number of times that I saw repeated screenings of many of these films then if would run into approximately 800+.Check out the site:in70mm.com and search for 70mm in Sydney Australia.You will see my list of films shown in Sydney in 70mm. Many American films were not even shown in the USA in 70mm but were in other countries. (THE BOY FRIEND ,for example) It was common in Europe in the 60s/70s for films to be blown up to 70mm and shown only in Europe in that format.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
AdrianTurner said:
I am not sure what the OP - Cinerama10 - is asking here. Certainly everyone's responses so far are inconsistent.

A: Do you mean the number of times you have been to the cinema to see a 70mm presentation which might, for instance, include the fourth or eighth viewing of, say, Ben-Hur. In which case several hundred might well be feasible.

B: Or are you asking how many films MADE in 65mm/70mm have you seen in their original format which would mean that each title can only be counted once. In which case your total of 175 could not be achieved. Or that a film like The Towering Inferno, cited by DP70, could not be included as it was not shot in 65mm/70mm. Or if you only ever saw Mutiny on the Bounty in 35mm that would not count either.

Personally, for me to get involved in this game, you need to set the rules. I only really only approve option B.
AdrianTurner said:

174 was the number of 'different' films that I saw projected in 70mm. It includes blow-ups. If you want to know how many repeat screenings of these 174 films it would come to 800+.Many films were blown up to 70mm for European screenings only. Some American blow-ups were not shown in the USA in 70mm (THE BOYFRIEND, for example). Check out the site: in70mm.com where you can see peoples lists of films shown in 70mm in many countries.My list for Sydney is there.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
cinerama10 said:
It is unlikely that STAR WARS was shown on the full D150 screen .The system was copyright so they would have had to get permission to use the entire screen. I saw two 70mm films at the Rivoli cinema in New York. SAND PEBBLES and SERGEANT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND .They had a D150 screen but never used the entire screen. It was always slightly smaller when used for 70mm. They never had nor screened a D150 film. during the many years that they had the D150 screen installed.I thought that STAR WARS should have been called STAR BORES! The acting for two of the leads was pathetic. I also managed to see HEAVENS GATE in 70mm during its brief 2 week season in New York. It was also shown in Los Angeles in 70mm for 2 weeks at the same time as its NYC screening. It was never shown anywhere else in 70mm after those 2 brief seasons.It was also heavily cut for all future 35mm screenings.
Star Wars was shown on the FULL D-150 screen at the Odeon Marble Arch someone from Fox checked the picture out, please see my item over at
in 70mm.com about this.
Also whatever you think about Star Wars in got Dolby Stereo on 35/70MM in many cinemas and a lot of 70mm screenings in 70mm in a lot of cinemas
which had not screened in that format for years.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Douglas R said:
Looking at that London list, I saw 35 genuine 70mm films (most first run but a few as reissues) and 75 70mm blow-ups, making a total of 110. So I beat you by 1. :D
Hi Douglas,

I missed The Champ at the Empire I heard the blow up was terrible so im glad its still 109 for me.

Best

Derek.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Star Wars was shown on the FULL D-150 screen at the Odeon Marble Arch someone from Fox checked the picture out, please see my item over atin 70mm.com about this.Also whatever you think about Star Wars in got Dolby Stereo on 35/70MM in many cinemas and a lot of 70mm screenings in 70mm in a lot of cinemaswhich had not screened in that format for years.
I would also like to add that The Pictureville Cinema in Bradford uses an original D-150 Curvulon Lens whenthey project 70mm prints on the Cinerama screen,they could be the last cinema in the world doing this.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
I would also like to add that The Pictureville Cinema in Bradford uses an original D-150 Curvulon Lens whenthey project 70mm prints on the Cinerama screen,they could be the last cinema in the world doing this.
I got a very good condition Curvulon lens for another project some time ago, but I will be honest and say that the new Isco 8 perf 70mm lenses are so good that it only makes sense to use the Curvulon on deeply curved screens.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
As of 2013-14, it matters not if a large format film is projected in 70mm or quality 4k on a huge screen.RAH
I wonder how many of them are already available as a 4k DCP, my guess would be maybe a dozen, if it is even that much. I also expect these to be among the first catalog titles to make it to a new 4k home video format.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Robert Harris said:
As of 2013-14, it matters not if a large format film is projected in 70mm or quality 4k on a huge screen.RAH
No-one who's seen a 4k presentation of Samsara could disagree with that. :thumbsup:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I got a very good condition Curvulon lens for another project some time ago, but I will be honest and say that the new Isco 8 perf 70mm lenses are so good that it only makes sense to use the Curvulon on deeply curved screens.
thanks Oliver, I remember going to the Odeon Marble Arch during the run of CE3 Kind and the chief showing methe lovely D-150 lenses in their lovely wooden boxes, also he says Richard Vetter came over to check the picture outfor Star Wars.Of course CE3 Kind was only run on the Std 70mm screen by order of Steven Speilberg

john a hunter

Screenwriter
DP 70 said:
thanks Oliver, I remember going to the Odeon Marble Arch during the run of CE3 Kind and the chief showing methe lovely D-150 lenses in their lovely wooden boxes, also he says Richard Vetter came over to check the picture outfor Star Wars.Of course CE3 Kind was only run on the Std 70mm screen by order of Steven Speilberg
They also screened Cleopatra in D150 for a short season. Unfortunately the editors had got to it and it had been cut down to the 3 hour version. You could see and hear the splices go through!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've had the good fortune to see "Lawrence Of Arabia" TWICE in native 70mm...first time was the original roadshow release in 1962, then again in early 1989 after HTF member Robert A. Harris' restoration efforts using mostly analogue film technology...was lucky enough to see the 2012 restoration by Sony's Grover Crisp aided by Robert's consultations in full-resolution 4k on a big screen at a Century Theater here in San Francisco a year and a half ago...all three showings were mind-blowingly beautiful to behold...

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Robert Harris said:
I and several of my friends would disagree with you. when you say that it makes no difference whether a film is projected in 70mm or 4K digital..Two of my ex-projectionist friends also disagree with you 100% Maybe digital will one day, approach the quality of 70mm but that is a long way off. Cinema going is no longer the great experience that it was in the 50's and 60's.Digital films are more suited for home viewing - not in a cinema on a 90ft screen.Unfortunately today's audiences don't care about picture quality or presentation.,If digital was indeed better than 70mm film then why do so many people travel hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles to see 70mm films today at the many festivals world wide? Also why are so many old 70mm films being restored and new prints made? A huge expense that would not be necessary if digital prints were the same quality. 70mm films have been around since the birth of cinema and will continue to be around for future generations to experience.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
cinerama10 said:
I and several of my friends would disagree with you. when you say that it makes no difference whether a film is projected in 70mm or 4K digital..Two of my ex-projectionist friends also disagree with you 100% Maybe digital will one day, approach the quality of 70mm but that is a long way off. Cinema going is no longer the great experience that it was in the 50's and 60's.Digital films are more suited for home viewing - not in a cinema on a 90ft screen.Unfortunately today's audiences don't care about picture quality or presentation.,If digital was indeed better than 70mm film then why do so many people travel hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles to see 70mm films today at the many festivals world wide? Also why are so many old 70mm films being restored and new prints made? A huge expense that would not be necessary if digital prints were the same quality. 70mm films have been around since the birth of cinema and will continue to be around for future generations to experience.
We will agree to disagree. People travel to see 70mm films because they can't see them locally, or as a series.From my experience I prefer a quality scan to 4k.Keep in mind that there are only two 65mm feature productions, derived from prime elements. properly scanned in 8k, currently available as 4k DCPs. Any other 4k large format scans cannot be considered.More will come.RAH

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I've had the pleasure of seeing countless 70mm presentations. But only two (2001 and Hamlet) were films actually shot in the format. And as great as the blow-ups were, the difference between them and the two that were shot on 65mm film was like night and day.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I saw STAR WARS when it opened in May 1977 at the Astor Plaza in Times Square. Was it projected in 70mm? If I was aware of it at the time (and I may not have been), I've forgotten. How does one find out this info?

Thanks.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks