What's new

70mm Festival at AFI Silver Spring 2013 (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! "LOA" 70mm is tempting. What's the AFI screen like - big, average, small? Never been there - curious how it compares to an average multiplex screen...

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I think it is around 45 feet wide... not gigantic. How I wish they could have taken over the Uptown with its 70 foot curved Cinerama screen... what a thrill that would be for 70mm showings. But the projection and sound at the Silver is usually quite good and they seem to be getting the knack of how to run a roadshow film with its overture, entre acte, etc. I am certainly making the trip for STAR! on July 17th and CLEOPATRA in August.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks! I'm a bit reluctant to go - Silver Spring isn't FAR, but it's a mild hike, and I don't much like to pay money to see movies I own on BD. Still, I've never seen "LOA" on the big screen, so I should go.

(BTW Jim - you misspelled "Richmond" in your "location" line!)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Colin---

Thanks for catching my typo. As for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, as good as the blu ray is and not matter how good a system you have at home, this is a movie that really demands to be seen in 70mm with an audience. There are certain films that really need to be seen in their original format for full appreciation. 2001 is another example. So I would say, if at all possible, make the time to go to the Silver and see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.... and sit fairly close to the screen.

About twenty years ago when the film was fully restored I saw a newly struck 70mm print at the Uptown on that huge screen with a packed house. Very few film experiences have come close to that screening. Sadly now the Uptown has only a compromised digital projection system, so it is unlikely that venue will ever be quite what it was.

Jim

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jim*Tod said:
Colin---

Thanks for catching my typo. As for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, as good as the blu ray is and not matter how good a system you have at home, this is a movie that really demands to be seen in 70mm with an audience. There are certain films that really need to be seen in their original format for full appreciation. 2001 is another example. So I would say, if at all possible, make the time to go to the Silver and see LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.... and sit fairly close to the screen.

About twenty years ago when the film was fully restored I saw a newly struck 70mm print at the Uptown on that huge screen with a packed house. Very few film experiences have come close to that screening. Sadly now the Uptown has only a compromised digital projection system, so it is unlikely that venue will ever be quite what it was.

Jim
I didn't know that about the Uptown. I've not been there since... "Revenge of the Sith", probably? Sorry to hear it's gone downhill...

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I haven't been back to the AFI since I saw 2001 at last year's 70mm festival. The presentation was a huge disappointment. The print was in atrocious condition and there also seemed to be some "fixable" projection issues as well. I've seen Lawrence projected in 70mm twice but I would like to see it again projected with a decent print. More intriguing would be to see the new digital presentation, if it is in 4K.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Not sure what the problem was last year... I saw HELLO DOLLY, PATTON, and SOUTH PACIFIC in 70mm and overall the presentation was a bit weak. Only a few years earlier... maybe five years... the DOLLY in 70mm presentation was eye popping with great and very directional sound... same with a 70mm presentation of WAR AND PEACE about 8 years ago. Maybe they will have their act together better this summer. I am hoping the 4K presentation of CLEOPATRA will be good.

Smithjhon77

Auditioning
Real Name
Smith jhon
If i talk about few years ago then the film was completely restored I saw a recently struck 70mm print at the Uptown on that colossal screen with a pressed house. Not many film encounters have verged on that screening. Tragically now the Uptown has just a traded off advanced projection framework, so it is unrealistic that venue will ever be truly what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks