What's new

7" iPad, the rumor that won't go away... (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
As accurate as the leaks for the iPhone 5 were, I don't know why anyone wouldn't believe a mini iPad is coming.
I wish they would make the back black and not that ugly silver.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The iPad Mini might not be the bargain device but rather a premium device with a smaller footprint (which makes much more sense to me).

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-57513778-243/why-the-ipad-mini-will-cost-at-least-$349/

It was difficult for me to picture Apple releasing a device like this for under $299 since the margins would be so low (relatively for Apple) and would partly cannibalize iPad sales. $399 seems like the pricing slot that's been set up for it, between the $299 ipod touch and the $499 iPad.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We'll see. I'm hoping for 8gb at $249 or less but that does seem unrealistic given that no major shakeups to the iPod Touch pricing happened last week.
Remember that everyone expected the iPad to launch at $999 too, so you never know. One thing I've thought about this is how can Apple launch this and not make it seem like either a compromise between iPT and iPad and a better value than the flood of cheap tablets that are expected to hit from China let alone the legit attempts from Samsung, Amazon and Google.
The only way I can see them doing this is by ensuring that every device has a mobile modem. And selling them bundled with a subscription. I don't see that as likely tho. But there are other out of the box things that could be done to hit those lower prices and still make the iPT a viable product still.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe they don't really care about (the future of) the iPod Touch too much at this point and would just expect people to move toward either the iPhone or either iPad options going forward, if the iPad Mini/Air is for real and slotted at the lower, competitive price-point.

Afterall, even if Apple doesn't do it, the competition will eventually erode away whatever market still exists for the iPod Touch at the rate things are going. They are probably better off refocusing their efforts on iPhone and iPad going forward -- and coming up w/ the next big thing as well.

Of course, that still wouldn't explain how they'll manage to offer a price-competitive, value proposition w/ an iPad Mini/Air that would still yield good margins for them. Maybe they've come up w/ some out-of-the-box way to make up for the low direct margins (as Sam suggests), but perhaps something that'd actually work better than what's been done by the competition so far...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
We are on for Oct 23, take it to the bank.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]What does the Zen Master think the possibility of new iMacs[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]being announced at this event?[/COLOR]

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/322021/7-ipad-the-rumor-that-wont-go-away/60#post_3977608
We'll see. I'm hoping for 8gb at $249 or less but that does seem unrealistic given that no major shakeups to the iPod Touch pricing happened last week.

Apple may not be worried about crowding the Touch on price. Its small size make it much more portable and a better device for small children.

-Keith

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ronald Epstein said:
What does the Zen Master think the possibility of new iMacs
being announced at this event?
I guess there is -hope- but no specific details in any rumors I've seen.
Gruber is hoping for a 13" Retina, but has no little birdies. Says nothing about iMacs

Users who are viewing this thread