1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

7.1 Receiver with 5.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by bcapsley, Apr 5, 2007.

1. bcapsley

bcapsley New Member

I have wired my home theater for a 5.1 surround setup. Now that I am shopping for a receiver, I am having a hard time finding a 5.1 receiver with HDMI inputs and outputs.

So, if I purchase a 7.1 receiver and connect it to my 5.1 speaker setup, will I be missing some of the audio during playback?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    You won't be taking full advantage of your receiver's capabilities, but you won't exactly be missing anything either. You will configure the receiver to run as 5.1. Just find a receiver that fits your needs and don't sweat it.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt Well-Known Member

Wayne

The primary things 7.1 offers:

1. Better coverage for a large room.
    2. With two speakers behind, you get smoother left to right rear pans.

If the first isn’t a concern, then don’t worry about using all channels. The second, rear left to right panning is fairly rare, so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that either.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. bcapsley

bcapsley New Member

Thanks for the input.

Will the receiver know that only five speakers are connected to it and adjust accordingly?

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    Most will have a setup of some type. My Pioneer VSX-1014 has both and automated setup that detects the speakers that are connected as well as an on-screen menu that allows you to select speakers manually.

-Robert

6. Peco

Peco Member

When I first got my reciever it was for 7.1 but I only had 5 speakers and it sounded ok. Now that I got my other 2 speakers I can tell it sound alittle better.