1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

7.1 or 6.1 and what to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ronGarcia, Oct 19, 2004.

1. ronGarcia

ronGarcia Member

I have not purchased a reciever in a few years. I have a Yamaha rxv-596 and I love it but I think it is time to upgrade. Budget is $600 or maybe a little more if it is worth it. I need something that rocks! Refurb or used with warranty is even better, open box buy is the best and ideal. I have just completed my dedicated home theater room and need something to drive my system.
    Polk rt800 mains
    Polk r20 (x4) for the 7.1
    Polk CS200 center
    Velodyne va907.2 sub
    Velodyne va807 sub
    Pioneer elite 53 inch

I want something to drive all these and deliver clear well distributed all around sound.
    I am exited and look forward to some input[​IMG]

2. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Well-Known Member

There are great deals on refurbished Harman Kardon receivers at the Harman Audio website. You can also try their Ebay store.

3. ronGarcia

ronGarcia Member

I forgot to mention this is for movies only (dvd and high-def cable, vcr, etc.) no music so maybe seperates would be better? I have never researched that option.

4. Rob TT

Rob TT Well-Known Member

www.shoponkyo.com

when you register, you should get 10 onkyo points which relates to $10.

Onkyo TX-SR800 THX7.1 for $565

Onkyo TX-SR601 6.1 for $450 plus you get SKSHT510 6.1 speaker package for free.

Should be free shipping and no-tax in some states.
    Mine came looking brand new out of the box w/ all remotes and wires. ! year warrenty too!

Become a member to see sale prices.

5. Marty M

Marty M Well-Known Member

I suggest you look into the new models of Yamaha if you have been pleased with yours. I just upgraded to the 2400 recently.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    I just picked up the 601 for an install I'm doing for $399 open box (meaning full warranty). Check with local stores, now that the 602 is out, the 601 should be on clearance.

FYI: DO NOT go to The Home Theater Store. They were possibly the rudest, least knowlegeable people I have ever met, and I have met plenty.

I would go listen to Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and H/K in your price range and get a feel for features/sound characteristics of each.

7. Yung

Yung Well-Known Member

If you're going to go with Onkyo, Onecall is closing out the TX-NR801 at about $660 shipped.

8. Sam A

Sam A Well-Known Member

"I forgot to mention this is for movies only (dvd and high-def cable, vcr, etc.) no music so maybe seperates would be better? I have never researched that option"

never heard of that as a reason for seperates. I dont think your budget will get you there. im just now trying to commit on some and my budget went up from $1500 for 7.1 including speakers to $5000 , so good luck. if you are going seperates, look at your local pawn shops.

9. ronGarcia

ronGarcia Member

I have seen yamaha 5760 for 325$ plus shipping, and several sony models for around the same price. I am wondering if this Yamaha is a good fit for what I need. If so I may go for it. Thanks for all the help and feedback[​IMG]

10. Steve Rawleigh

Try Pioneer VSX-1014. I have had great luck with my Pioneer Elite Receiver. Crisp, clean power. Never overheats, no matter how hard I drive it and I have it in a cabinet with less than optimal air flow.

This is as close to an Elite Receiver as you will get (identical internals) without paying the "Elite" price. You should be able to get this receiver for

11. Yung

Yung Well-Known Member

I also recommend the Pioneer VSX-1014TX. You can get this for about $450 shipped from an authorized dealer.

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Well-Known Member

Ron,

The Yamaha HTR-5760 is a very good receiver. I also have Polk speakers (RTi series) and they mated quite well with the 5760 that I owned. However, now I have the Pioneer Elite 54TX (a step up from the 1014TX that was recommended.) I find that I really like the EQ that the Pioneer receivers have. The adjustments that were made have made some pretty good changes to resolve some sound issues within my room. My Polks sound ++ and lots of it has to do with the EQ.

13. ronGarcia

ronGarcia Member

thanks Wayne for the advice. I know these polk speakers will shine, I just need the right reciever.