What's new

7.1 mixes arriving on HD discs plus DTS-HD on HD-DVD US release (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While looking through the new release titles I noticed something that should be of interest to those of you with new surround receivers. It looks like some Hollywood studios are going to start releasing HD titles with 7.1 mixes. And unless the artwork for Pans Labyrinth is a hoaks on DVD planet, the HD-DVD release will include a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. This is not a imported title but a US release, at least as far as I know its not an imported title. So if we are to see DTS-HD MA releases on HD-DVD I am now going to hold out on upgrading my player until there is one that can bitstream DTS-HD MA to a receiver.

New & Upcoming Releases on Blu-ray & HD with 7.1 audio mixes:

Rush Hour 3 (Blu-ray) 7.1 DTS-HD MA - Now available
Pan's Labyrinth (Blu-ray) 7.1 DTS-HD MA, (HD-DVD) 7.1 DTS-HD MA (Available 12-26-2007)
War (Blu-ray) 7.1 Uncompressed PCM (Available 1-1-2008)
Good Luck Chuck (Blu-ray) 7.1 Uncompressed PCM (Available 1-15-2008)
SAW4 (Blu-ray) 7.1 Uncompressed PCM (Available 1-22-2008)

I also have noticed more and more titles using not only DTS-HD Master Audio but Dolby True HD tracks as well. Not to mention uncompressed pcm tracks that have been used on many HD releases. I am actually excited about the increase in lossless audio tracks and especially over the use of 7.1 mixes. Now I really can not wait to purchase that new Denon AVR-3808ci receiver. :D

I am hoping that the new Resident Evil will include a 7.1 mix but I guess only time will tell. And I would like to thank the studios for offering lossless 7.1 and I hope more studios jump on board and offer more titles with 7.1 mixes. It would be nice to see some 7.1 Dolby True HD titles as well ! :emoji_thumbsup:

I think I will be picking up both Rush Hour 3 and Pan's Labyrinth on Blu-ray tomorrow. I am even thinking of buying Pan's Labyrinth on HD-DVD as well just to have it to compaire video transfers and to have a HD-DVD with DTS-HD MA. ;)

Now if Disney was to rerelease the Pirates trilogy with a 7.1 lossless mix I would definantly buy the trilogy in HD a second time !
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Robert George

Screenwriter

That was a couple of months ago. The Toshiba HD-A35 has been able to bitstream advanced codecs out of the box. The HD-XA2 has had this feature since the last firmware update several weeks ago. Onkyo's new player also has this feature.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I guess I should have mentioned I would actually prefer a higher end HD-DVD player. I would like to buy a player that is better than the players that Toshiba has put out. And since I have not been to crazy about Onkyo over the past few years. And since the Onkyo is nothing more than a rebadged and tweaked Toshiba. I do not think I want to spend more on an Onkyo just because it has an Onkyo badge on it. I find it strange that no other companies are offering players. And on a minor note I do not like the way the newer HD-DVD players look. They look like low dollar dvd players and would not match the new equipment that I will be buying, but like I said that is a minor thing.

I am jazzed that 7.1 audio is making its way to HD video and that it will be possible to utilize all 7 channels with these new receivers. :D

Right now I am saving up for a new Denon receiver and will upgrade my current Sony BDP-S300 Blu-ray to a Denon DVD-2500 BTci player. Then I plan to see what HD-DVD models are available at that time and will go from there. I would like to see an HD-DVD player from Denon, Marantz, Pioneer or even Meridian. Granted there was rumors that Meridian was going to make a HD-DVD player but I have not seen anything pointing towards it actually happening.

If a Toshiba and Onkyo player is the only thing available when I am ready to buy an upgraded player, I will most likely go with the best of the two. Even though I am not crazy about doing so at this time but at least it will be a big step up from my current HD-A1. My main goal for my HT is to upgrade the video chain to full 1080p and to be able to decode and to listen to both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. I actualy can not wait to get the ability to playback DTS-HD MA on a HD-DVD player in the future.

7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM. :emoji_thumbsup:
I would also welcome 7.1 Dolby True HD as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

Are you sure Robert, do you own a new receiver with Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA decoding. Are you able to confirm that the HD-A35 does indeed decode the lossless formats. The only reason I ask is that according to Toshiba's web site.

Toshiba HD-DVD page:
Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD Player
Audio capabilities:
Advanced Audio including Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTS® HD (core only), along with legacy formats including
Dolby® Digital DTS®

This is the only mention that leads me to belive that it bitstreams Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA.

Toshiba HD-DVD page:
High Bit Rate Audio allows the consumer to integrate the HD-A35 with the latest multi-channel A/V receivers to provide a new dimension of high definition home entertainment.
Benefit: With content encoded in 7.1ch, advanced surround sound is achieved through the HDMI connection bypassing the player's internal audio processor and sending the signal to a 7.1 capable A/V receiver.

While it does not actually mention Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio. It basically claims that lossless bitstreaming is supported but like I said it does not have any detailed information if one format is supported or both are?

Robert George

Screenwriter

I can confirm the information you quoted is accurate. I will point out that what you quoted refers to internal decoding in the A35. All of the codecs listed can be decoded in the player and output as either multi-channel PCM digital via HDMI or as multi-channel analog via the analog outputs.

DTS-HD MA is not on the above list of decoded formats because the A35, like every other player for both formats, does not decode that lossless codec.

DTS-HD MA is only available in full resolution by outputting the codec in native, undecoded form into a receiver that does have decoding capability. The A35, and the XA2, will do that.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Dam I am jealous. ;) All I have is my Yamaha RX-V995 :frowning:

How is your AVR-4308ci working so far? I hope to at least have the AVR-3808ci in a few months, maybe a 4308 if I am lucky.

I hope you are having a Merry Christmas and are enjoying the new AVR-4308ci ! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert George

Screenwriter

I've put a few friends (and clients) into 3808s and 4308s in the past few months. Everyone loves them. If you don't need the parallel HDMI outs on the 4308, I'm sure you would be very pleased with the 3808.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Glad to hear that the 4308 is working great for you. I to have been recomending Denon to others as I honestly feel that they put out a great product. One of the reasons I was thinking of getting a 4308 was if my roommate purchased an HDTV. There current tv sits right behind my ht in another room. So all I would have to do is run the HDMI through the wall and hookup his tv to my receiver. Then my roommate would not have to buy ether HD player. But it wouldn't mean anything if he does not buy a HDTV. So I just have to do some thinking and see what I end up based on my needs more than my roommates needs. :laugh: But other than that I am sure the 3808 will meet all my needs. I am however interested in the higher end processing in the 4308.

Anyway have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Home Theater Year. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As another that bought the 4308 back in late July, I can attest to it being a fine receiver that has made watching HDM a breeze.

Crawdaddy

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Although not mentioned here, I believe that the 3:10 to Yuma blu-ray is also supposed to have 7.1 PCM.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am thrilled to see that there are some 7.1 titles becoming available that can take advantage of 7.1 receivers. Now all I need is the 7.1 receiver to take advantage of the 7.1 encoded Blu-ray of Rush Hour 3 I just purchased. I hope more titles come out with 7.1 audio tracks on HDM. I will definantly purchase titles with 7.1 audio.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Obi,
I have this on preorder did you have any problems with your Denon-4308 decoding the 7.1 bitstream signal from the Panny-BD30? Reason I asked was I received the Panny for as a present the other day and found this player to be a good match with my 4308.

Crawdaddy

Robert George

Screenwriter
(RE: 3:10 To Yuma)

None at all. The 4308 has taken everything I've put into it and done exactly what it is supposed to. The only format that I can think of that I have not put through it yet is 7.1 DTS Master. That audio format is supposedly on "Shoot 'Em Up" from New Line and that is in the mail to me right now. Should be here by Saturday and I'll check that out. 7.1 PCM is no problem at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought 3:10 to Yuma was 7.1 DTS Master so it's really 7.1 uncompressed. I assume you would use the Panny's L/R 2 channel for the two extra analog connections for the 7.1 PCM?

Also, the settings for DD+/True HD and DTS-HD should always remain on while the DD and DTS is turned off?

I only had this unit up and running since yesterday so it's best to leave the BD-Video secondary audio off too, right?

Crawdaddy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That woudl be odd. I would think he is using HDMI all the way.

The New Line discs are the ones to test 7.1 DTS MA. I keep reading about issues with 7.1 not actually working so I'll be curious with the results.

The 3 discs I know of are: Pans Labryinth(HD and BR), Shoot Em Up(BR) and lastly Rush Hour 3(BR).

Robert George

Screenwriter

Shane is correct. HDMI exclusively for me.

For all the compatibility issues with HDMI early on, that interface has turned out to be everything advertised. The majority of my system now has a total of two wires at each source component, one for power and one HDMI output, into the audio receiver with one HDMI to the display. With that one now gets automatic resolution, automatic audio selection and decoding, and even with the higher cost of HDMI cables, a lower price overall for system connection. Very elegant solution.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the Pans Labryinth's HD DVD in its entirety this morning and the 7.1 audio was fantastic. However, I'm sending it back due to skipping and stuttering in Chapter 14. The disc has some scatch marks that I couldn't buff out so it's going back for another copy.

Crawdaddy

Robert George

Screenwriter
Shoot 'Em Up has DTS-HD Master 7.1 listed on the case, but the feature plays back as 5.1. It is not a case of the player or receiver not being able to extract and decode 7.1 DTA MA because the New Line logo at the beginning of the disc IS in 7.1 DTS master and that plays correctly.

This same situation is being reported on AVS for Rush Hour 3 as well.

It appears New Line is not quite ready for prime time, despite the long delay before publishing in HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had that title on preorder that I may cancel until they repair the problem. I watched it in the movie theater and it is definitely a tongue-in-cheek film aimed at the non-stop, violent films we've been expose to over the years.

It appears that somebody with the BRD of Pan's Labyrinth is stating that they're not getting 7.1 audio when playing the disc back on Panny-30 and Denon-3808. That's really strange since my indicator lights were on during the playback of the HD DVD and I heared audio from all four of my surround speakers. There were a couple of instances in which I got up from my seating position to listen closer to the two surround speakers not active with 5.1 audio just to sample the audio coming from those two speakers. I wonder what's going on with the extent of this problem.

Robert George

Screenwriter

A quirk of the new Denon receivers is that they do not indicate "PLIIx" when playing a DTS-HD MA track even if the receiver is set up for this surround mode. Look at the display with Pan's Labyrinth playing and see how many speaker icons you see on the left side of the display. This is the indication of the number of channels in the incoming signal. If you have PLIIx set as your default surround mode or you have the SB speakers engaged, you will see all 7 speaker icons on the right side of the display indicating the receiver is outputting 7.1 sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks