1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

7.1 Are you setting it up wrong?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John A. Casler, Oct 15, 2002.

1. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Well-Known Member

I continue to hear people talk about setting their 7.1 systems up with Dipole/Tripole/Bipoles on the side surrounds and Direct Raditors in the Rear Surrounds.

Does this make any sense???

Seems to me that in a 7.1 setup, the sides are the "main" surrounds and would have the greater need for a "direct" speaker, while the rears would have little benefit from a direct since they will be firing from behind the ear.

In Multi-channel Music and 5.1 Films, aren't the sides taking over the rears (of a 5.1) former duties and the Rears are now just for envelopment and ambience?

I address this in my 7.1 system by having both direct and dipoles for both sides and rears, which I can play seperatly or together.

And I think the 3' higher than listening position rule, for the sides should also "go out the window". I can still see it for the rears but if we are talking about "discrete" 5.1 converted to 7.1, I think the sides are getting the discrete information and the rears are getting the "ambience".

Anyone have any concrete info on this? I have been all over DTS, and Dolby sites and don't see any "new suggestions" to adress this or even any definitive answers to what info is going where.

John

2. Mark R. Ososkie

Mark R. Ososkie Well-Known Member

This all comes down to the way your room is set up. I have no rear walls, but i do have side walls, so i put the dipoles on the side. There is absolutely no way the dipoles could be placed behind me, so I will buy a pair of bookshelfs for my surround backs.

3. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Well-Known Member

How are you set up to run your direct and dipole side speakers together. how do you have them wired?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Well-Known Member

John
    Are you using a switch that compensates for load? What receiver/amp? Parallel/series? You may run the risk of straining your amp and driving it to distortion.

Side surrounds have ALWAYS been noted by DOLBY as being preferably bi/di to create diffused effects, not direct effects. The rears can be either monopole or bi/di.

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Well-Known Member