What's new

65H80 in a 15'x13' room? Will I regret it? (1 Viewer)

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
With all these price drops on the H80 series, I am SOOOO tempted to get a 65H80 (I can't justify the 56H80 because then I might as well get the 61HX70 - with the 65H80, there is no 4:3 set that has it's 16:9 size). The problem is, I live in a little condo and my living room is only 15'x13'. After all is said and done, my viewing distance is about 10'. Any have a 65H80 (or similar) set in such a small room. Aside from just viewing distance, what about the size of the actual box?
Thanks for any input,
Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Brett,
I'm watching my 65H80 at about 11' and it's just fine. Even if I lean forward a bit to 10' it still looks great, but you mileage may vary. You can definitely notice the compression artifacts from DSS/digital cable at that distance, but DVDs (particularly anamorphic) look great, and naturally HDTV is fantastic. I guess it all depends on how much ugliness in the cable/satellite picture you're willing to put up with to enjoy the gorgeously huge picture on your DVDs.
The physical box is about 60"x60"x29" deep, but the back of the set "hangs out" a bit so that you can put the set flat against the wall and still have plenty of room to make the connections in the back. It fits through a standard doorway just fine, but it would take an army to get it up or down stairs.
- Brian

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
Thanks for the info. What size is your room? I am concerned about other people sitting in my living room. While the main viewing area is a couch against the back wall, I do have a loveseat that sits on the side wall that could put a viewer as close as 5'. Now I know that's way too close for regular viewing, but would that just be unbearable? I guess what I'm wondering is if the 65H80 will make viewing from the side walls impossible. I want to be able to have more than three people (how many can fit on the couch) come over to watch a movie.
Thanks again for any input.
Anyone else have any input?
-Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Erik Welty

Auditioning
Hi Brett,
I've got a 65H80 in a 16'x13' room where we sit
about about 10' from the set. We've got a sofa
which faces the TV directly and a loveseat off
to the right side. The picture is still solid
from the loveseat, around 55 degrees off axis.
DVDs look great with this setup, but remember
that the bigger the set, the bigger the warts
that will be visible on less than perfect
video sources ... cable and vhs.
Regards,
Erik

Brett,
With the way my room is set up it's about 14' deep by about 25' wide, but it's the depth that matters in this case. The picture is acceptable even at 5 feet (I just checked), so the biggest issue may be the viewing angle at the end of the loveseat closet to the TV - the picture will still be fine, but I've always found anything more than about 45 degrees off axis to be a bit disconcerting. The other issue is reflection off of the protective screen - at more than about a 45 degree angle you'll see nothing but room lights, so if you leave the screen on be sure to control the room light.
- Brian

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brett,
I want to thank you for posting this question. My new 65h80 comes today (we are 15 minutes from the delivery window folks), and I was kinda worried about its size. My room is also 13X15. I figure Hey Itll look nice and large. I even went as far as to use masking tape and measure out the screen on my wall. Well it will take up part of the wall thats for sure :).
I dont feel so worried now.
Thanks,
Damien

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Damien,
How exciting for you!! I have actually ordered mine now and it will be here in a week or so. Yes, I must admit that my room size was the biggest thing holding me back from ordering. But thankfully I have talked to enough people to convince me that it won't be such a big deal.
Enjoy your 65H80 and let me know your initial impressions as soon as you can peel yourself away from your new baby (which may be a while!).
-Brett
p.s. what's going to be your first DVD on it? For me I'm thinking The Rock - Criterion.
------------------
My DVD's

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brett,
Well I was stood up today by 6th Ave in Paramus. Apparently they spent all day getting in touch with me but always got a busy signal (BS since my phone was nt touched for the reason that I thought they would get lost.)...Anyways I called at 4:09pm after the window had closed and they said they had no record that my down payment was ever cashed therefore they cancelled the shipment. POed beyond all human belief, I brought my banking statement in with the check I used as a downpayment. They proceeded to tell me that if the phone wasnt busy this could have been avoided. Needless to say I was really pissed off and between having poison ivy, and being screwed with by the SOB manager (who thought he could take advantage of me being 21 and all) I just let it all out right in the store. They said they couldnt do anymore for me except to have the TV shipped next week...or when I demanded my money back in full they said it would take 3 weeks to get to me. I told them some colorful things and said that TV better be in my house by tomorrow at 12...a few phonecalls were made to the warehouse and they said it couldnt be done and theyd need a callback. I was asked to go home and they would call me when they got a callback. I refused and walked around the store for about an hour giving EVERYONE the Evil "Ill kill you if you are male and even think about asking me anything" look. Needless to say I found out I was the talk of the day from a friend that works there :). Anyways to make a long story short..The TV is coming tomorrow at noon...rather today in about 7 and a half hours. If it doesnt Im afraid Ill have to go postal on someone..My room is a mess with speakers amps receivers and Computer parts everywhere awaiting to be straightened around the TV...Heres hopin..
I was thinking either the Rock, or Platoon, since I havent watched that yet. Or even better Toy story or the 5th Element :)....or Better still.....well Ill figure it out tomorrow

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Hye Brett,
Well I got the TV today. The friggin delivery guys couldnt fit it into the room I needed it in and were way to impatient, so I did it myself with a friend. Took me 15 minutes, literally (I should have gone to pick up the thing myself and avoided all the hassleds. Anyways Im loving it....currently watching it without any sound as to start the 100 hour runtime. Ill turn it off in an hour and just work with the sound then. I really should take a quick trip out to pick up some more Speaker Cable as well since my connections no longer reach lol.
-D
Im watching it at about 9 feet and its not too bad...Im diggin it :)

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice, Damien. Can't wait to hear more about it!! I'll let you know when I get mine. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Nice to see that you were able to stand up for yourself and get results.
-Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Well the minute the set went on, I calibrated it to LOW contrast and sharpness. I did a really rough avia setup (just to get within the ballpark) and now Im letting its do its 100 hours of running.
Right now the picture isnt the greatest for obvious reasons, when I popped in a Bugs life it reminded me of a VHS quality picture, my interlaced DVD player isnt helping much either. During the week Ill start tweeking it, setting convergence, geometry, etc. Then after I learn more about the set ISF calibration MIGHT come into effect somewhere down the line. OVerall Im in love, I feel like my home theater is complete for the first time, at least for this week :). I dont think you will be unhappy. and if you are, I have a few friends that are envious
wink.gif
-D
Take care,
Now I have to find somewhere that has Convergence Charts for 65h80s

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to let you all know that I received my 65H80 on Saturday.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

I must say that the box is bigger than I was imagining, but I don't regret it in the least. The picture is just outstanding, even from 7-8 feet. I really feel like I have a home THEATER now, not just a TV to watch DVD's on.
I've got a lot of tweaking to do over the next couple weeks(I've already disabled SVM, and fixed up the geometry a bit), so I'll be busy for a while.
Thanks to everyone who gave me input. I think the box is huge for the room, but I still think I made the right decision.
-Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I sure wish I had your problem!
wink.gif

Seriously, I'm going with a 47" for my room of about the same size. The reason? Anything bigger and my front door is in danger of hitting my main speakers, and anyone walking in with a bag or luggage is prone to hitting my nice gloss finish!
If I could I would have gone with a 55" or larger.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Will,
Normally I would regret this [not getting a bigger set], but I'm getting the 47" for a very low price (think a shade over dealer cost). At that price, I'm seeing it as a "disposable" set. Plus I'm getting $500 for my old 32" set so that my net cost for the new set barely gets into 4 figures...barely.
I cannot get the 65 for anywhere close to that price. Even the $2500 deal for the 65" at Costco is a very substantial increase over what I'm getting the Panny for. That's also why (and this is for Francois) I can't get a front projector: costs too much.
Plus, you know, it's West L.A. and I don't make a lot of money. Hence I will be moving from apartment to apartment (work here and hate, HATE long drives so I can't move to the Valley) and want a set that won't absolutely kill me and my friends when it's time to move. The Panny is 175lbs while the Tosh 65 is like 400+ lbs.
Also, my speakers will be hit by my front door if they are moved out as much as a 65" would move them.
Trust me, though, when I get a house or condo...the sky's the limit. It will either be a huge 65+" RPTV or a front projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks