What's new

65" Rear Projection HDTV too big for 12-13' viewing distance? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The subject says it all. I tried the calculator that's going around, but it doesn't give minimum distance.
What are your experiences?

Not sure if I should go 55 or 65.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that if you want alot of HDTV that closer is fine. I sit back around 10 feet from my 55 and that is just right. I don't have my HD online yet though.

I would think it is too big but others should chime in.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I just did a touch up job on a 65 " Tosh. The viewing distance was 11 feet ish. DVDs looked fine...analog cable looked pretty bad. YMMV,

Gregg

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I responded to your email Dave.

I don't see it as an issue especially now that I can tweak that out of the perfectcolor menu.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
As Shane said, if you're going to be doing a lot of HD viewing, closer is fine, since your eyes have a harder time resolving the pixelation.

I have a 52" GE Best Buy special ($888) and analog TV looks pretty poor compared to DVDs, which look pretty sharp (I'm sitting about 10' away). I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a DirecTV HD unit, but I probably will once there is more HD programming available.

Also, keep in mind that once you get used to your new TV, it won't seem as big as the day you got it, so I'd say go for the 65-inch. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I am going to be watching analog material -- even thought I am getting HD cable. The stations I watch the most won't be HD televised.

How, DVDs are going to be my #1 viewing. I want my TV and screen size/distance, etc. optimized for them.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If you are hung up on Digital cable, then the responses are what to expect. I use DirecTV and the SD (Standard Definition) is pretty good through my 51 inch Sony via S-Video. My scheme is to pick up an OTA HD box and antennae and view the free HD channels and then watch regular t.v. via satellite and of course DVD via upscaled through component.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What kind of upscaled dvd player do you have? Does it make a difference than a regular progressive scan?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the Zenith DVB-318, set to 1080i via component. Now the Sony t.v. (KPS51WS520) upscales everything to 480p and it does a pretty good job, but when DVD movies are set for 1080i on this player, it by far passes 480p. I did a comparison with Fifth Element and the scene I used was on the Cruise Ship with Bruce Willis and Chris Tucker as Chris Tucker is still on the radio broadcast. The sweat on Chris Tucker is so clear it the closest thing to HD you going to get. In 480p, don't get me wrong the picture is good, but it lacked the detail 1080i was giving.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Shane or anyone else,

What does the Mits 313 or 315 upscale to? Is this of anything benefit to me? Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I'm watchin a Toshiba 65 H 84 from about 11 feet. I use Comcast cable with HD. HD via Comcast is everything I had hoped for. Some of the standard definition channels are only fair, some are pretty good. I would not want a smaller set.

DVD with my Proscan DVD player is almost as good as HD. I also picked up a second DVD player that delivers outstanding picture quality. Toshiba SD 3960. This little thing only costs $70 and is not one of those that delivers 1080I.

You have to be careful about numbers games. For example, the Sony KE-42M1 Plasma is only an ED-TV. It can't display 1080I. However, picture quality equalled that of the top rated Panasonic HD Plasma costing $2,000 more.

So far there is only ancedotal information that the 1080I DVD players can actually deliver a better picture than other DVD players. Also, the latest players have to be hacked to output 1080I from the component outputs. People are driving themselves crazy over build dates, hacks, etc. for something that (IMHO) is largely a cult phenomenon, like putting green magic marker around the outside of a CD.

Artie

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gregg,

I have a few questions for you based on your experience:

1. I am really thinking about the Mitsubishi (WS-65315) How does this set compare with Toshiba, Sony, Hitachi in the same class/price models?

2. While I mean leaning 65", it seems the 55" gives a tighter picture because of it be smaller. Is this true? Smaller screen size = more crisp image?

3. How are the Mits out of the box? I am going to get it ISF'd anyway, but was just curious.

4. Also, how is the overscan on them? I could have my ISF guy fix this, but if I can avoid it, the better.

Anyone else feel free to jump in. Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dave

I would check with ONECALL they have had the Toshiba 65H84 for $1799 delivered using their own price match. They are down in stock right now and I don't know if or when they will have it back at $1799, but that seems to be an amazing delivered price for a very good set. I would give them a call and see if they expect to get any more at that price.
As far as how it compares to Mits, Sony etc, it holds its own very well.

Artie

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Our front row is 13 feet from a 104" diag widescreen 720P projector screen. You'll be fine with a small 65" TV;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Do you guys suggest I go with a DVI connection if I just get the Panasonic XP30 Progressive player? Is DVI better than component?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes in theory.
DVI carries the digital signal and component is analog.Also as some pointed it out most "upscaling" players can't send that info via component outs[unless it's "hacked"],only either DVI or HDMI.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
12 feet, 100+ inches and 480i. Looks great. Whether 65" is too big really depends on you and what you want.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
you cant directly compare the viewing distances with different technologies.

Personally, Id recommend the Mits over the Tosh.

Id dont think you would visually notice a difference between 55-65" on a RPTV....if this is a big hurtle for you to get over, consider one of the Mits with 9" crts.

all of the sets are "okay" out of the box. If you are going to have your ISF tech calibrate it, why not ask him for buying assistance. I know I always offer free advice to established clients.

regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks