What's new

$58 DVD player at Radio Shack with Region-Free hack...plus $10 mail-in rebate! (1 Viewer)

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for bringing this thread back up David, I was just looking for a multi-region player but didnt want to spend that much since atm, I am only buying it for one dvd (The Corrs Live at Lansdowne Road, which annoyingly is only released for regions 2-6). Now I can grab both the dvd and player for under 100 bucks. :emoji_thumbsup: :D Btw, they also have it at J & R for $54.88, 1 year warranty for both labor and parts.

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
Found the black version of the CyberHome CH-DVD 300B at amazon for $46.99 shipped if you are a bit anal like me and want to match your other components :D

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I just threw out my AD-600. lol It's served me well, since I picked it up, just after the first National Meet in LA in 2000.

Should have no trouble stepping into this newer model.

Thanks all.

Matt

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

Can you elaborate on this? I bought the Cyberhome player and now I want to buy some widescreen PAL discs. What will they look like on my 4:3 TV? What about PAL discs that are fullscreen?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
4x3 fullscreen and 4x3 letterbox PAL formatted discs look fine when viewed on standard televisions. The chipset converts PAL to NTSC properly.

However, it can not downconvert 16x9 PAL formatted discs for proper viewing on standard televisions.

You get the same ffect as if you set your DVD player to output to 16x9 when you have a standard television. Circles look like ovals and everyone looks tall and skinny. 2.x:1 films look like 1.x:1 and 1.x:1 films fill the screen.

If your TV has a 16x9 enhanced mode then you won't have a problem with 16x9 PAL. If you have a widescreen television then, again, you won't have a problem with 16x9 PAL.

However, if you have just a standard television without the 16x9 enhanced mode...you will have to set the DVD player to output to 4x3 pan & scan for the objects and people to look correct. However, you do lose image information on the sides.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
OFF TOPIC

BenLG,

Don't forget Corrs Unplugged! I may have burned a hole in it playing it on my crappy region free apex :D

mmmm....Andrea Corr.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
As if the black friday cyberhome dvd player deal wasnt sweet enough already , theres a rumour going around now that the 39.xx price is before rebate !It will probably be 29.xx after rebate !I doubt any store can beat that !:emoji_thumbsup: Im definitely getting a spare now.Have to get early to the stores that day.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, Rutger. Fortunately the titles I want most (Ingmar Bergman) are all either fullscreen or non-anamorphic. And eventually I'll be getting a 16:9 set anyway.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I have seen the flyer and can verify that there is a $10 rebate. The player will be on sale at the "you've got questions, we've got answers retailer" for $39.95 for 5 hours on Black Friday from 7:00 to Noon: final price after rebate: $29.95 plus tax.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Also a heads up for people that hate dealing with rebates .I have also heard that another store will offer this player for 34.95 this friday without a rebate .:emoji_thumbsup:Cant wait to get my spare cyberhome 300 !

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Concerning the CH-300: is there confirmation if these will play DVD-R or DVR+R and other formats of "homemade" DVDs. My local place with the answers didn't know the answer to this question (he did confirm that this will go for a net $29.99 on Friday as noted above).

Several earlier posts in this thread asked the above question, but I couldn't find where they had been definitively answered. If I missed it, I apologize.

Thanks.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Paul, i never tried stuff like that on mine but from what i heard in the past , they do. Cant wait to pick up my spare machine at fridays sale !:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks