What's new

555es SACD Thump (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
This may not be the very best thread for this question, but does anyone happen to know whether the C555ES is now gone for good, out-of-production and out-of-stock everywhere? J&R still have an "on order" notice up, but I wonder if that order will ever be filled...?

(Yes, yes, I'm still concerned about the limited bass management for multichannel, the carousel tray - and now this "woodpecker problem" - but I would like to know whether this unit is even a possible purchase any longer. Thanks!)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich,
Congratulations on the purchase! I know you debated whether to grab a 'C555ES or not. Now you can get on with the rest of your life! ;) Seriously though, I think you made a great decision. Let us know how it works out for you.
David,
I just saw your post in another thread regarding the price you paid for the 'C222ES through J&R. How do you like it? What have you been using for CD playback? How does the 'C222ES compare?
Regarding the woodpecker sound, I don't recall reading about it with the 'C222ES, just the 'C555ES. The transport mechanism are slightly different, and that could explain why the "problem" seems to be unique to the 'C555ES. I say "problem" in quote because the noise has not in any affected the performance of my 'C555ES.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
David,
You're going to love the 222ES :)
It can be a bit noisy during disc changes, but that is the only (minor) issue, I'd say.
Sound is fantastic. I have about ten hours on it now. I'm amazed at the utter silence between tracks. Not that my other CD players were noisy, in fact before getting the 222ES I would have said my other players were silent as well, but the Sony is in a league of its own... spooky. I wonder what it was that I was hearing, and didn't realize at the time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rich, someone recently posted over on Audio Asylum that Oade Bros. is no longer able to get the 'C555ES.
If Oade Brothers is out of stock, anyone interested should try www.onecall.com . They had several in stock when I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago. Make sure you call them to place the order, though. Their website price is $800, but I got mine for $595 shipped by calling the toll free number. Also, they placed a follow-up call to me last week to make sure the unit arrived okay and was working properly. I have ordered other equipment from them in the past, and the service has always been excellent.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott said:

Also, they placed a follow-up call to me last week to make sure the unit arrived okay and was working properly.
Wow! I've gotten great service from OneCall, but they've never called me to make sure the item arrived. Very cool.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
...back to "thump" or "woodpecker" issue on the 555ES.:)
New Universal Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" gave me the same problem the first time I put it in the 555ES. Further playings did not have this problem.
I have not yet received my replacement copy of "Let It Bleed" to test it on another copy of this disc.
James - I only have one Telarc disc and have not had a problem with it. If you do speak with Sony pls let us know if you get any additional information.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Dug up this thread using search -

I recently got a 555ES on audiogon and it has this problem pretty bad. It seems to make noise with a lot of SACD's. I have sent it back to Sony service (Bristol PA) twice and they say they can't fix it. Has anybody had this problem fixed, and if so do you remember what they did to fix it?

Thanks!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
If Sony can't fix it, did they offer an alternative ?...that's scary if Sony responded that way :frowning:
I own a 222es and I whould hate to get answer like this for something that's not working properly.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Basically they said that some of them (555ES's) do that and there was nothing they could do about it. They did replace some parts but it didn't help.

The tech I spoke with said that if I was still unhappy with it they have some kind of buy-back program. I haven't looked into this yet but I might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks