What's new

International 55 Days at Peking, Four Four Texas - France (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those will be welcome. I was looking around this morning for movies not an Blu that would be absolute perfection. I came up with Flesh and The Devil and While Paris Sleeps(is it really lost?)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
schan1269 said:
Those will be welcome. I was looking around this morning for movies not an Blu that would be absolute perfection. I came up with Flesh and The Devil and While Paris Sleeps(is it really lost?)
It would be great if 55 Days in Peking is the same quality as the Circus World BD, which is pretty fantastic. Both are Bronston productions in Technirama.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
schan1269 said:
Those will be welcome.
If they're done properly, they'll be more than welcome. They'll create a small stampede. But ... who the you know what are Rimini? Do they have any track record? Remember, One Eyed Jacks was released on BRD so let's be cautious.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Great, can't wait for 55 Days, been waiting for that one for a long time. As previously stated, hope there are no forced subtites.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
A few details are up now for 55 Days in Peking:

[*]Audio : Anglais (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Français (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
[*]Sous-titres : Français
[*]Région : Région B/2 (Plus d'informations sur les formats DVD/Blu-ray.)
[*]Rapport de forme : 2.20:1
[*]Nombre de disques : 1
[*]Studio : Filmedia
[*]Date de sortie du DVD : 19 février 2014
[*]Durée : 145 minutes
[/list]
Mono sound? :( IMDB lists it as 6-track. IMDB also lists the running time as 154 minutes, Maltin 150 minutes. The 2.20:1 ratio would be the Super Technirama 70 one, not the 2.35 of the original Technirama negative. This stuff is not always correct but at least we have some info now. The Circus World BD was scanned from the 2.35 negative and has 2-track stereo audio so I don't know if 55 Days will be up to that standard.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Four For Texas info:

[*]Rapport de forme : 1.85:1
[*]Nombre de disques : 2
[*]Studio : Rimini
[*]Date de sortie du DVD : 21 janvier 2014
[*]Durée : 115 minutes
[/list]
This one apparently comes with a CD of Western themes music as well.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
John Hermes said:

[/list]
Mono sound? :( IMDB lists it as 6-track. IMDB also lists the running time as 154 minutes, Maltin 150 minutes. The 2.20:1 ratio would be the Super Technirama 70 one, not the 2.35 of the original Technirama negative. This stuff is not always correct but at least we have some info now. The Circus World BD was scanned from the 2.35 negative and has 2-track stereo audio so I don't know if 55 Days will be up to that standard.
If it's mono and 145 minutes I won't bother.

I have a German DVD which includes the Overture, Intermission/Entr'acte and Exit music and the running time is 161 minutes (I've corrected the time from 25fps to 24fps). Unfortunately the soundtrack - English and German - is mono. I also have a Netherlands DVD which is in good stereo but doesn't have the Overture, Intermission or Exit Music making the running time of 153 minutes (again adjusted to 24fps).

To get a running time of only 145 minutes means that more than just the Overture etc has been cut unless a previous PAL DVD running time has been incorrectly given by the distributor or Amazon (which is not unusual) instead of the correct time on the Blu-ray.

To add to the confusion, I see that FNAC say it is stereo and 145 minutes. I suspect this may end up being similar to the Netherlands DVD version - unfortunately.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
John Hermes said:

[/list]
The info on Amazon France now lists an English 5.1 track as well.
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00GCM1R8E/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
John Hermes said:
In many ways 55 Days is a bad movie, I don't know why I enjoy it so much. I noticed the 5.1 a couple of weeks ago, but it's changed since then, then it was, 5.1 English & French. Now only 5.1 English, & mono & stereo English, & it looks like mono & stereo French...who knows, it could be burnt in subs & interlaced, or a cracker of a disc. The great thing about the net is someone will buy it & report.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Four For Texas is not a Blu-ray, but a DVD. My order arrived today from Amazon France and I was surprised when I opened the envelope and it was a DVD. I went back to the Amazon France site and looked at my order and it is 4 du Texas (Blu-ray). If you click on that, and go to the description, it is a DVD. They messed that listing up.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Hermes said:
Four For Texas is not a Blu-ray, but a DVD. My order arrived today from Amazon France and I was surprised when I opened the envelope and it was a DVD. I went back to the Amazon France site and looked at my order and it is 4 du Texas (Blu-ray). If you click on that, and go to the description, it is a DVD. They messed that listing up.
I realise it's probably not worth the effort, but you're entitled to your money back.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
I realise it's probably not worth the effort, but you're entitled to your money back.
I did sent it back and was refunded. It is disappointing, though, that it was incorrectly listed as a Blu-ray. I had given away my old WB DVD in the meantime. :(

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
55 DAYS AT PEKING.....I just put it the new French Blu Ray......it has been restored from the original 8 perf Super-Technirama 70 camera negative.....looks spectacular! Running time is 2 hrs 42 minutes
It is all region! A B C. 5.1 (VO) sound. Subtitles are removable!
If only EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE looked like this!!!!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ken Koc said:
55 DAYS AT PEKING.....I just put it the new French Blu Ray......it has been restored from the original 8 perf Super-Technirama 70 camera negative.....looks spectacular! Running time is 2 hrs 42 minutes
It is all region! A B C. 5.1 (VO) sound. Subtitles are removable!
If only EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE looked like this!!!!
Thanks for the update. Mine is on its way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks