What's new

55" CRT RPTV vs. 52" D-ila RPTV...my impressions so far :^) (1 Viewer)

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
WEEKEND REPORT

Finally watched some DSS last night. After I made some adjustments for it, we really enjoyed watching NASCAR on it! Frankly, I was amazed how good it looked..much better than my old CRT unit; much less spoogey looking colors. If the JVC upconverts everything, this must be part of the reason why DSS looked so good, even coming off just an S video line.

Again, overall...VERY happy with my purchase. :D

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up that Omnimount center channel shelf from Circuit City today (see above link). World's crappiest manual, but went together easy enough..is really flexible, and fits atop the TV just fine; and the JVC has a very steep backside.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
The measurements of the CCH1B are as follows, for those interested:

WIDTH: 19" wide at the front, tapering to 14 3/4" at the rear.

LENGTH/DEPTH: 15" front to back.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Been living with this set for several days now...lovin every minute of it! I've just posted a thread over in the Speaker forum about rounding it out with a system, please visit it and contribute your opinions!:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=234605

Back to the TV!

After living with my initial Avia adjustments, I went back and readjusted the color and hue again with the disc and found I was indeed pushing the color and hue just a bit hard, so I rolled them both off by -3 and got a better picture...less pink on flesh colors, more natural. Easy fix.

I was watching Troy and started fooling around with the automatic settings....here's how that went.

COLOR MANAGEMENT - For DVD, I leave this off. I think it just over-does the colors, and can sometimes cause some color shifting. If you adjust this set properly, you have no real need for this to pump up the picture.

DYNAMIC GAMMA - This is the other major automatic picture circuit, and I'm really torn on this one! If it's on, it increases contrast, and makes shadows darker, but you can lose some color and detail, as it tries to make the picture more 'black and white', with harder definition between light and dark areas. If it's off, the picture seems more film-like. I usually leave it off, but it's actually a useful function.

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,

did you get the 70" jvc?? I am looking into that set now and looking for info and experiences.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how people complain bitterly that the TVs in stores like BB and CC are in "torch mode", yet the JVC DILA apparently is permanently in torch mode.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
LOL :laugh:

It's certainly a bright display, no doubt about it. But it's working great for me.

I prefer 'vibrant' to 'torch.' :D

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Over three months since my last post, and I'm still loving this set :emoji_thumbsup:

It's a funny thing...this set (like most microdisplays) has a fan in it, but it's amazing how quickly I got used to the sound of it, and now I don't notice it unless I think about it. If there is a silent or very quiet part of a movie, to me, it IS silent. Just interesting how you can tune stuff out. Now, if there was ANY kind of high-pitched squeal or anything other than a 'fan' sound, THAT would have been a problem.

Haven't had to do much with the set as far as the picture goes. I re-tweaked it recently because I felt my white levels might have been off, and after a few minutes with my Avia disc and another set of eyes (my wife offered assistance), the picture is now more pumped up. My white test was initially coming in a little grey, so I adjusted on the plus side and now the whites are whiter (and brighter). The whole picture is more vibrant, colors are really vivid and amazing (but not bleeding). Dark scenes seem to be coming across better as well.

But if a real BRIGHT scene comes on suddenly (especially after a dark one..think SW: The Phantom Menace, from night to BAM! The day of the race in the sunshine! Ahh! Hell, that nearly blinded me in the THEATER!), prepare to be stunned! But in a cool way.

We are enjoying it VERY much! Hard to beat a 52" display sitting on the dresser in the bedroom with 7.1 sound. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Really great you have given another extensive update after using the display for quite few months. heck, I am probably bad about that one myself. :)

Shoot my Philips CRT RPTV is to bright for my significant other which is good, she has me backing the brightness and contrast down instead of up as most would think. I mean even a little lower than calibrated, gotta love that gal.

I re-calibrated recently, and afterwards she made me down the brightness and contrast. :) Well authoritatively asked me to turn it down would be a better way to put it.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Well, John S bring up the point (and it's a valid one) of how bright these sets are in comparison to a CRT. It's very true...these displays are bright. If you tone them down too much, then you start losing some of the qualities that make them unique. A well-calibrated CRT based set looks remarkable...very film-like with awesome blacks and contrast.

This display IS bright, as has been mentioned, but I've come to the conclusion that I like this look, because of all the GOOD that comes with it. Especially good is that it's a great set to watch during daylight hours on the weekends without having to control the lighting as much as I did for my CRT RPTV. I had that tv in a DARK, well-controlled room, but I felt like I was watching tv in a cave sometimes ;) But again, no denying how GOOD that picture looked.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Yosef, I haven't actually checked that...what I've been doing is using the four picture settings (standard, dynamic, game, theater) and adjusting those, the same as you would the inputs.

Makes for some interesting settings comparisons for different viewing situations and material to do it that way, and these apply to every input.

For a long time, I'd use my Game setting for Xbox, and theater for everything else. Now I've readjusted lately and use my theater setting for everything.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
An interesting development....

I replaced my Sony DVPNS55 DVD player with a Sony DVPNS70H this weekend. Nice player! When I fired up the Avia disc to calibrate the set for the new player, I noticed something.

On the test pattern that you use to set white levels (bottom half of screen is white, pluge pattern on top, moving white bars on bottom half right side), I could actually SEE the white bars! They were not visible at ALL on my previous player, no matter what I did. Why is this? Both players were hooked up component video thru the same input. Is the new one that much better? Certainly it has much better blacks, that I can see. I'm going to go pick up a HDMI cable for it today, too.

Another thing that's interesting. If I push the Progressive Scan button on the player, some weird shadows/ghosting happens on edges of images; especially noticeable on text, like the crawls on the Star Wars movies. Looks MUCH better with the Prog. Scan button OFF. I reckon it's because the TV scales everything to 720P and there is some weirdness with the player trying to force a 480P picture on it?

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Here's an update on the HDMI connection.

I gave it a try last night, but as many others here have found, the DVD player seems to pass on a nicer signal via component. HDMI gets some oddities happening in the picture, similar to the aforementioned prog. scan issues. I'm going to be interested to see how a true HD source will look HDMI, though. Xbox 360 coming out soon! :)

Still, running component into Video 1, the Sony gives a beautiful picture...better than it's predecessor with deeper blacks and richer color.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

I would be curious how each of your displays match up if they were both professionally (ISF) calibrated.

While all displays benefit from this, I suspect the CRT would more so.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Haha! Well, the Mits 55" is 2000 miles away, my ex-wife and son get to enjoy the benefits of THAT home theater system, as I took none of it with me. When I go back to visit, there's always quite the pile of DVD's sitting by the system that they enjoy viewing.

In answer to your question, yeah, I'm sure the Mits would have benefitted from ISF. I had it dialed in really well, but as with all things I'm sure it could have been improved upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks