What's new

$500-600 budget on Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
Which would have better sound quality do you think, the Klipsch speakers for $400(I think I could get them to sell them for $350) or the Fluance for $300? If I went with the Klipsch then I would find two more speakers and a sub to make it a 5.1 system. If I went with the Fluance then I would just need to find a sub.

P.S. Robert_J, quad 18's sounds like you're trying to blow yours and your neighbor's roofs off.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Tysonmccrary

Which would have better sound quality do you think, the Klipsch speakers for $400(I think I could get them to sell them for $350) or the Fluance for $300? If I went with the Klipsch then I would find two more speakers and a sub to make it a 5.1 system. If I went with the Fluance then I would just need to find a sub.

P.S. Robert_J, quad 18's sounds like you're trying to blow yours and your neighbor's roofs off.
Can't answer that. Speakers are very personal. What you like and I like could be different. For the record, I'm not a fan of Klipsch. Others love them.

BTW - with Robert's setup. It is not about how loud it goes. It is about extension (how loud it plays the lowest notes) and making it flat across the entire listening area (same loudness at all seats at all frequencies). The only difference between my old 8" Velodyne and my newer dual 12" SVS is the frequency response below 40Hz. From that point up they play almost identical in my smallish room.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David is correct. Compared to most, I listen to my system at only a moderate volume. What I want is extension. I want my system to play flat to 5hz. To do that I have to move air. The best way to move air is a lot of large subs. After getting this project started a couple of companies introduced 21" and 22" subs. I can add another pair of 18's and still be well below the price of the newer subs. My only other option was a rotary sub - http://www.rotarywoofer.com/ and I'm not paying over $10,000 for a sub. One of these days I'd like to build something like the Matterhorn though - http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/matterhorn.htm

These types of subs are comparable to guys that build their own race cars. What I did with my speakers and subs are similar to a kit car. The design isn't mine. I just found a proven design on the 'net and used it. That is always an option if you have the time, tools and woodworking knowledge.

-Robert

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I got a little to excited and went and listened to a lot of different home audio and by far the best I listened to was the bose, then klipsch was my 2nd favorite, but there prices were outrageous haha at least from the stores. I was going to buy those Klipsch speakers I found locally but they have already been sold. I read lots of great reviews on the Fluance speakers, so I think I will buy that set, but one question; if I want to upgrade to 7.1 later on, what receiver would be good that will handle those Fluance speakers, plus two more speakers (perferably Fluance so I don't have 2 speakers that sound louder, better, worse, etc. than the rest of the set) and also be able to power a subwoofer? Any sites that I could buy two more Fluance speakers to make it 7.1?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bose? Really?

Since you are ordering directly from Fluance, they probably have options of buying a set of speakers to make it 7.1. Call them and ask. No matter what speakers you get for make it 7.1, they won't be louder if you properly calibrate the system. Calibration can't be stressed enough.

Receivers don't power the sub. Most subs have their own amp built in. From 50 watts to 5,000 watts depending on what you need.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Since a specific receiver was mentioned, I'll throw out that the Denon 1610 may be a better buy right now. If you search for the coupon online, you can get the 1610 from 6ave for under $300 right now. This is supposed to be a great receiver and has a better version of the Audyssey software (MultiEQ vs 2EQ).

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
I forgot my CD's at home, but I listened to the radio there and listened to a few different types of music on the klipsch and there was a movie playing for the bose, both sounded good, but bose was super clear and felt like "I was in the movie", it was like this set: www.ksl.com/index.php I am torn between buying the used Bose set for $300, or getting a new 7.1 receiver and brand new Flaunce speakers. Keeping this in mind, if I have to spend around $650 or so, then I will just buy my system in pieces with each pay check, but with you guys being the experienced ones, some of you doing this for a living, what would you do?

Seth, that receiver is a pretty nice unit, I will keep it in consideration.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The reason I asked is because Bose generally does not allow you to demo you own material. They have very specific things they play to make it seem as if they are 'really good'. Take you own material and you will find all the holes in their sound.

We generally don't trash companies but Bose and Monster have earned a special place on audio/video forums. Search for either brand and you will understand.

Real Name
Tyson McCrary
From the other forums that I've read, I think I will get the Fluance speakers, would it be best to get two more Fluance speakers to make it 7 speakers, or should I get two different speakers?
For now I will hold off on the sub until another month or so. I am just looking for two more speakers and a receiver. I think I will either get a Denon 7.1 receiver or an Onkyo 7.1.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You made the right choice on the Fluance speakers. Note that both receivers that have been recommended (Denon 1610 and Onkyo 507) are both 5.1. If you want 7.1 you will need to step up to either the 607 or RC-160 in the Onkyo line or the 1910 from the Denon line.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Only a handful of the tens of thousands of members of this site do this professionally and I'm not one of them. I was hooked on music when I got Kiss' Destroyer album in 1976. I was hooked on live concerts seeing Kiss in Pine Bluff, AR on the Dynasty tour in 1980. I was hooked on home theater when I bought an Emerson hi-fi VCR from Wal-Mart with my high school graduation money in 1987. Around that same time I started reading about building speakers and the physics behind it.

My wife loves music and movies as well but not the science behind the reproduction. My hobby keeps me at home and the results of it are enjoyed together.

Originally Posted by Tysonmccrary

some of you doing this for a living, what would you do?

Real Name
Tyson McCrary

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
A 7.1 setup obviously provides additional audio dynamics. But it's not as necessary as you might think. There is not a lot of source material produced with 7.1 effects (although what is out there is often on Bluray.) A 7.1 system will only produce more sound when it's NOT being run in 7.1 mode; for instance when you are running all channel stereo. Otherwise the added two speakers just reproduce the rear surround effects.

Most of the time I recommend getting a 7.1 receiver and only setting it up as 5.1. You save the money on the speakers and have the option to upgrade if your ticket comes in or you fine you are an audiophile and must have the added channels. (I have a 5.1 set-up and am very happy with it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks