What's new

50 Movies All Guys Should See Before They Die (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
only 34 out of 50 here. but I couldnt care less, its just someone's list. and its a decent list, but its geared shall we agree...to a certain type of guy. which is fine. they make the list, they can do what they want, but you wont find any literate or merchant-ivory films on there.
of the ones I saw, my 10 fav's which would accompany me to a deserted island (given the island has power, a large t.v. and surround sound system, and a comfy leather chair) are:
The Usual suspects
Unforgiven
Collateral
Midnight run
Heat
The Limey
Pulp fiction
Goodfellas
Gladiator
Braveheart

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I guess they think that all guys want in a movie is plotless action with endless destruction and killing. I can see why they came up with this list. I have seen only 15. The number one movie, "Pulp Fiction", I turned off 1/4 of the way into it. I would think that "The Matrix" would definitely be on the main list and not the bonus list. If I need to see all of these before I die, I am living forever. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have only seen 16 of them, and only another 3 or 4 i have any interest in seeing. I can easily go the rest of my life without a Woody Harlson film.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
After reading the above comments, I only bothered looking at the top 10. While some of those are good films, I can certainly say that you could easily take about half the films on this list and call it "25 movies guys should die before they bother seeing". :)

I guess a list even put together by a moron is going to have a few good choices just by accident. Normally, even if a list like this isn't perfect, I'll often add the unseen ones to my to rent list, but I'm not even going to bother this time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Having seen nearly 3/4 of the movies on the list, I agree. :) I will say though that I thought this list would consist of almost entirely of laughably bad movies so seeing any titles that were good was a pleasant surprise to me.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Yep--I can see little reason to add from this list to mine (but actually I was surprised that there were so many good movies on the list. Many more than monkeys hitting typewriter keys would generate.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh lord.

I haven't seen hardly ANY of those 50. Unforgiven is OK but not Eastwood's best. I own a copy of Pulp Fiction and have tried to watch it several times, but each time I got bored and dozed off.

REAL guy films start with Lawrence of Arabia and MUST include Patton, The Longest Day, and many others.

:confused:

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I've seen 5 of them, the list sucks, alot of movies that should be on there that arent

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that those are excellent movies but the first line of the article says "Classic movies like Bullit, Easy Rider, The French Connection, amongst others, are guy movies, but our list is a modern guide (past 20 years)."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've seen all but one but i agree with everyone who is saying most of those movies are pretty pointless.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

My expectation is that except for a few in the top ten or so...most of the films on this list will be forgotten in a year or two.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I took care of my bashing in my prior post, so now I can say that some of you guys are being a little too harsh in your dismissals. I did a quick rescan and I decided that I could argue the relative merits of at least 30 of those films - and I'd take the side that says they are 3.5 out of 5 stars or better. That not the highest praise one could offer, but it's an indicator that the list isn't full of suck. There's plentiful entertainment to be had from watching this list.

I also find it difficult to believe that so many of you have seen so few of the films, considering just how popular many of them are. HTF elitism? Or does the wife choose the films that you watch? :)

Brad

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Without a doubt, that's a factor. Especially since I don't have a dedicated HT. My gear is part of my living room so it usually takes a special dispensation of sorts from my wife in order for my 17-year-old son and me to sit down and watch I Am Legend like we did this weekend. I'm still trying to figure out how to sneak in No Country for Old Men! :D

Heck...in fact, Pulp Fiction got watched when she was away for a conference and I knew I'd finally have some time alone! :laugh:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I've seen 48 of them but this list is meaningless without Apocalypse Now and Deliverance.

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen 15. Have no particular desire to see the other 35.

I accept the claim that this is the MODERN LIST, but if these are the best they have been able to come up with in the past 20 years, heaven help us guys. Where are you when we really need you, John Wayne?

A list of 50 guy movies should be a list of THE guy movies; not just a portion of them. It is kind of like making a list of the best romantic comedies (released between February 23rd and February 25th of last year). Kind of limiting, huh?

Okay so I'm an older guy (56). Maybe I just don't like the style of the more recent films. Then again, maybe I have seen REAL GUY movies and wish these other folks could too.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks