What's new

5 Westerns you'd like to see on blu (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Another five, well like last time a bit more than five, but just so many great westerns! Dodge City The Last Hunt The Big Sky (have Warner found any decent elements yet?) The Last Wagon The Man From Laramie The White Buffalo (well I like it!) & of course a Budd Boetticher box set.

barlington bertie

Auditioning
Real Name
RON
I am not pernickety about blue ray or whatever. I am just pleased that the old westerns of my youth are getting a dvd release in a decent quality by official studios rather than unofficial dvd-rs available in dubious and some very poor quality. I was annoyed to see therefore that Olive films will not release some good old westerns because they find trucolor hard difficult to deal with. Here in the UK the Odeon Entertainment Group have released the RKO film Montana Belle in dvd in perfectly acceptable Trucolor with the explanation at the beginning explaining the Trucolor process. Comeon Olive, if they can do it, so can you. Perhaps Mr Miles can pass this on.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
benbess said:
Just finished watching The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Hard to believe, but it was the first time I'd ever seen the whole thing. I saw about a third of it on tv in the early 80s with some friends, and they got me into it, but then we had to go and do something. And so watching the whole thing has been on my to do list since 1982. Anyway, I loved the film. The pq may not be tops, but I thought it was pretty darn good. Other Westerns that I have in my collection are The Searchers (amazing pq, and of course a classic), How the West Was Won, Lonesome Dove, and Unforgiven.

There are actually quite a few more Westerns that I'd like to own or at least rent that are already on blu, such as the other two Leone films with Clint...But, there are still a lot of Westerns that aren't on blu that perhaps should make it there someday. Which 5 get your vote off the top of your head? There are a lot of Westerns I don't know (which is in part the reason for this thread, to learn), but some I'd like to see on blu include....

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949): Directed by John Ford and starring Wayne. A technicolor treasure. Would look fantastic on blu. Classic Western.

The Big Country (1958) starring Peck, Heston, etc. and directed by William Wyler. I've only seen a small part of this, but it looks great. I'm going to try and hold out for the blu.

Bronco Billy (1980), directed and starring Eastwood and written by an acquaintance of mine from long, long ago, Dennis Hackin. A very small, funny, contemporary Western. Good film.

Heaven's Gate (1980) About the opposite of Bronco Billy, but I still think it's a powerful and underrated film, flaws and all...

Far and Away (1991) is Ron Howard's underrated Western epic filmed in 70mm. It would look great on blu. Very entertaining film.

Well, I could go on, but I'd like to see if others have favorite Westerns they'd like to see on blu...If possible, give a few comments as to why for each title...

Thanks in advance, Ben

Difficult to believe that this thread was started more than five years ago. Since then we've had many good Westerns released on blu-ray, including some from this little list. I'm still discovering good Westerns on blu-ray, including a while ago The Man From Laramie from TT starring James Stewart and directed by Anthony Mann.

Another I just discovered tonight, which isn't on blu-ray but should be is The Bravados, starring Gregory Peck. It was directed by Henry King, and the wonderful CinemaScope DP was Leon Shamroy. Other players include Joan Collins, Stephen Boyd, Albert Salami, Lee Van Cleef, and many others. This film has actually appeared for "free" streaming in HD if you have Amazon Prime, and it seems to be very nicely restored.

Since it's two years since this thread was active, if anyone cares to chime in on their favorite Westerns released on blu in the last few years, as well as titles your still seeking (as I'm still hoping for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) hope you'll chime in....

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
benbess said:
Difficult to believe that this thread was started more than five years ago. Since then we've had many good Westerns released on blu-ray, including some from this little list. I'm still discovering good Westerns on blu-ray, including a while ago The Man From Laramie from TT starring James Stewart and directed by Anthony Mann.

Another I just discovered tonight, which isn't on blu-ray but should be is The Bravados, starring Gregory Peck. It was directed by Henry King, and the wonderful CinemaScope DP was Leon Shamroy. Other players include Joan Collins, Stephen Boyd, Albert Salami, Lee Van Cleef, and many others. This film has actually appeared for "free" streaming in HD if you have Amazon Prime, and it seems to be very nicely restored.

Since it's two years since this thread was active, if anyone cares to chime in on their favorite Westerns released on blu in the last few years, as well as titles your still seeking (as I'm still hoping for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon) hope you'll chime in....
I have on order the "Gunman's Walk" BD from Germany. It is a 1958 Columbia Pictures Western with Van Heflin and Tab Hunter. Release date is November 6. Looking forward to this one. One of my two favorite Westerns, "Gunfight At The O.K. Corral" has been released in a fine Blu-ray version. I'm still waiting for the other..."The Sons Of Katie Elder". C'mon Paramount, you can do it!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Five Westerns I would like to see on Blu-Ray:

Chisum 1970

The Sons Of Katie Elder 1965

Bend Of The River 1952

The Naked Spur 1953

The Far Country 1954

Since the topi cwas 5 Westerns I only listed 5 but there are a lot more than these 5 I would like to see on Blu_Ray!

Take Care!

Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
I'd like The Gunfighter. Seems like it was a part of the group of films that Fox is going to release for HD streaming, but naturally I want it on Blu-ray.
I already have it with a HD streaming, if they're doing it again then it might be for a BD release.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Billy Batson said:
Still not nearly enough westerns on Blu-ray, just five, it'll have to be: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon Bend Of The River One-Eyed Jacks - The real thing, not the old cobblers we've had. Gui La Testa The Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean EDIT. Ah & The Alamo, but I don't want to remove any of the titles listed. 2nd EDIT, & how could I forget, Rio Conchos, I'd even pay Twilight Time prices for that one!

I'd put money on She Wore A Yellow Ribbon & One-Eyed Jacks being released next year (what with Warner putting Ribbon on their list & Universal working on Jacks), & I have Gui La Testa & Rio Conchos, so a new list would be:

They Died With Their Boots On

Unconquered

Bend Of The River

The Alamo

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid

But I could write a dirty great long list of wanted westerns, so many great ones awaiting a Blu-ray release, but many do look good on DVD, so at least I can enjoy them while I'm waiting.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Thought of another one: The Deadly Companions (1961). Low budget but transcends it because of O'Hara, Keith, and Peckinpah.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Has everyone forgotten one of the best westerns of all time IMO, Winchester 73, closely followed by The Shootist, Ride the High Country, The Naked Spur,and Chisum. I see Twilight Time is releasing Cowboy next year. Another overlooked gem!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks