What's new

5 Steely Dan SACDs on 6/22 (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
David,

Great news (well sort of).

I wonder when MusicTap will be informed of the DVD-A release though ;) That will be quite expensive, as I'll have both versions.

Cheers,

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

These titles have now totally disappeared from the Universal site, not even listed as future releases under the coming soon section. I thought all along they were a little over optimistic with their release date, especially with the inclusion of multichannel tracks on all the discs. Gaucho took forever to be released and was plauged by a number of delays and this was a single disc.

I would rather see them take more time and put together discs which have sonics and multichannel tracks which rival the other Dan discs available on DVD-A and SA-CD.

Still a total disappearance from Universal's website does not bode well as far as releases go. They have kept the Hartman/Coltrane disc, Count Basie: April in Paris, and Motley Crue: Greatest Hits as future releases for well over a year. Call me nervous, but with Steely Dan probably being one of Universal's better Hi-res sellers, the royalty issues may have become a problem with these releases.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You guys are making too much of this. Many times albums come and go from Universals list only to be released anyway.

Steely Dan is like Pink Floyd in their pursuit of studio perfection. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes. It could also be related to the publishers royalty issues.

I would be patient and see what develops...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Sorry Lee, this just does not happen. Albums will move from having a solid release date to the future releases section of their site, but not disappear totally from the site (many albums have been listed as future releases for well over a year). Universal has never released a SACD out of nowhere that was not listed on the site for some time with a release date.

Maybe they will shock us, but I highly doubt it, especially with 5 multichannel Dan titles originally schedules to be released in less than 2 months.

J

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Let's see. From the '70s, Reeling In The Years; Bad Sneakers; Josie; Peg; Deacon Blues. From the early 80's, Hey Nineteen; Time Out Of Mind; Babylon Sisters. These are a few of the hit's they had. They are a very polished, blues/jazz pop rock band with an active horn section and lots of back ground singers. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are the two main members. The rest is made up of the very best of studio musicians. I highly recommend the "classic albums" dvd documentary of "Aja" by Eagle Rock/ Image Entertainment for those who would like to know more about this talented duo. Very informative and lots of fun.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Looks like I was a profit Lee ;)

The word on the Hoffman forum is the earliest we *might* see these is Christmas, if everything goes well. There appears to be some major issues at this point.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks