What's new

5 Kubricks coming to Blu-ray/HD-DVD 10/23 (1 Viewer)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
When I bought 2001 on DVD, I watched it one time and have not watched it since. The audio and video was so bad that I couldn't stand it. Of course, my expectations were high since I saw the filim during a birthday party for HAL at the University of Illinois. The movie theater was cleaned, a better screen installed, and we watched a pre-release of the film destined for the big re-relesase in 2001. Holy Crap! You could read the instructions for the zero-g toilet, little things waaaayyy off to the sides were sharp and clear, and the crowd (of a thousand?) was absolutely silent. Roger Ebert was there.

The restrooms had the 0-g instructions posted. I got interviewed on TV about my experience right after they interviewed Ebert. I wound up face to face with the guy, and was too stunned to talk! I met Keir Dullea. I handled one of the actual HAL brain room keys. I saw an actual HAL lens faceplate. After the film there was a long and very cool discussion from Ebert with the whole audience.

It was practically a spiritual experience. No, it was definitely a spiritual experience.

SO, they'd better dang get the audio and picture right on BD!!! I do NOT want to hear ape-men so distorted and tanky that it makes me puke. I do NOT want boxes in my stars. I'll be happy if you can see the one star that passes through bowman's leg (oops, we forgot to paint that one out...) I'll be happy if I can read the instructions. I'll be happy if I can just sink into my chair and forget where I am for 3.5 hours.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

The current HD DVD/BD does not deliver the level of fidelity you (and I) experienced from the projected prints (even the 35mm prints). Hopefully a future release will do proper justice to this film.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't expect even the best BD to match 70mm! But I can hope for the best, eh?

I must correct a glaring error. I have no idea where my mind was! Keir Dullea was not at the 97 cyberfest, it was Gary Lockwood.

I paid $12 for tickets to the film, and it was worth each and every penny!

MatS

Screenwriter
I am linking an existing thread from the SD software area for the benefit of those who may have missed out on this incredible book the first time offered or just didn't have the coin to shell out. I would guess many Kubrick fans like myself don't even venture to the SD forum anymore.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...-archives.html

Taschen has reprinted the Stanley Kubrick Archives book under their banner of 25th Anniversary Edition (no not of this book but I believe of them doing books of this kind)

this is now in stock at Amazon and shipping
I received mine today
what a steal at just over $44

I must admit I was a bit scared as I flipped through the book with so much of the beginning of it front loaded with only images from the films (many of which seemed soft... yes I am spoiled now by BD) but I breathed a sigh of relief when I got to the text and there is a huge amount of material to dive into that follows.

I can't wait to spend some time reading through this.

Just an update to an earlier post of mine ... this version does not include the interview cd that the first pressing had and obviously the film strip is not included either. I have no issue with the exclusion of either especially at this price.

ps. sorry if I gave the impression to anyone by bumping this thread that there were 5 more Kubrick BDs coming 10/23 of this year :D

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

Argh, is this true? Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I was under the impression that the CD was included. In fact, Amazon's product description includes the CD. So does the description on Taschen's website.

If you didn't get the CD, I would return it. I'll let you know if mine comes with the CD.

MatS

Screenwriter
like I said the cd was/is by no means a deal breaker for me
I also believed the cd came with the book since as you stated it was listed on both sites

a pic from the previously linked thread shows where it appeared in the past in the book

it definately wasn't in my book and the book was in shrinkwrap when it arrived

I don't think mine was a fluke, I believe the cd is not included

EDIT: I emailed Taschen in regards to the ommission of the audio cd ... I will let you know their response and if they are offering a copy since they should have the content from having included it in the first pressing.

also the color coded tabs (see below) of the first pressing are gone (likely due to the slight reduction in size of the book)

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the CD is supposed to be included in the shrunk-down version.

This is the brief description from the Taschen website:
The Stanley Kubrick Archives
Hardcover 12.9 x 9.6 in., 544 pages
$ 70.00

And this is the brief description from the earlier version:
The Stanley Kubrick Archives
Castle, Alison (ED)
Hardcover + CD 16.2 x 11.8 in., 544 pages, $ 200.00

Of course, the long description for the newer version mentions the CD, but I assume that someone did not edit the copy very thoroughly. Note that the CD is pictured on the page for the original version, while it is not pictured on the page for the 25th anniversary version.

Note also that the just-released Bergman Archives book mentions that the DVD is included in the brief description:
The Ingmar Bergman Archives
Duncan, Paul / Wanselius, Bengt (ED)
Hardcover + DVD 16.2 x 11.8 in., 592 pages, $ 200.00

My copy arrived yesterday with no CD included. (I have not yet unsealed the Bergman book since it's an Xmas gift for my wife; I hope the DVD is included!)

MatS

Screenwriter
don't know if they got hold of some old inventory of the original pressing or if this is closeout on the 25th anniversary pressing but B&N has The Stanley Kubrick Archives book on their website at $19.99

The Stanley Kubrick Archives, Kubrick Christiane, Book - Barnes & Noble

act now if you are even thinking about it

EDIT:
now SOLD OUT
didn't expect it to last long at that price
ISBN# (ISBN-13: 9780641953965) was different than the original first printing release (ISBN-13: 9783822822845) and the reissue (ISBN-13: 9783836508896)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks