What's new

5 Kubricks coming to Blu-ray/HD-DVD 10/23 (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I completely agree Marc. I don't mind if they add another surround track but at least make the original an option.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm very interested in each of these releases. Probably with 2001 and EWS at the top (presuming EWS is finally unmodified). Hopefully I can find a nice preorder on them. Surprised there is no box though.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
FMJ is the only film of his I like, sans EWS as I have not seen it, yet. I'll be picking FMJ up for certain.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was under the impression that Warner was going to issue the version of Eyes Wide Shut that did not contain the digital "censorship" that Mr. Kubrick inserted into the U.S. release.

At any rate, all the more compelling reason to make the format jump -- that is, until I feel certain as to which format will take hold. This is frustrating.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest problem is that Mr Kubrick did NOT insert the digital "censorship" into the U.S. release. This was done AFTER his passing. If Kubrick had actually seen the digital "censorship" I think there is a very good chance he would not have approved of it.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I believe the term you are all looking for is, "Oh, God, Yes."

I managed to catch 2001 on HDNet Movies a few months back, and it got me extremely excited to have a copy like that at home.

Like others, I have already picked up the FMJ HD-DVD, so will likely pass on the boxed set in favor of individual titles.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The biggest problem is that Mr Kubrick did NOT insert the digital "censorship" into the U.S. release. This was done AFTER his passing. If Kubrick had actually seen the digital "censorship" I think there is a very good chance he would not have approved of it."

I thought that given the choice between making cuts and digital censorship, he choose the digital figures. He did agree to putting the figures there.Am I remembering that incorrectly?

As excited as I am for these. I dotn understand the decision to omit Barry Lyndon. It would look beautiful in HD.

Warner has a great track record of listening to what comsumers want ... hopefully theyll realize BL has its fans.

But cant wait to get all of these.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Full Metal Jacket (Deluxe Edition)" also coming (Blu-ray/HD DVD):

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ay,_HD_DVD/826

"The re-issue of 'Jacket' will join the quartet of other Kubrick releases hitting high-def on October 23, though no tech specs were immediately available on what (if any) elements of the release will receive an upgrade.

Note also that the original standard Blu-ray and HD DVD editions of 'Full Metal Jacket' will now be discontinued."

So the original "FMJ"-release will be one of the first OOP-titles in HD.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Specs!
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65400
("please note AV specs are tentative and subject to change")

***2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Using a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc (BD50) and dual-layer HD DVD (HD30) features include:

* 1080P 2.20:1 Widescreen
* English PCM 5.1 Surround (Blu-ray Disc)
* English Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround (HD DVD)
* English, French and Spanish 5.1 Surround (Dolby Digital on Blu-ray, Dolby Digital Plus on HD DVD)
* English, French and Spanish subtitles
* Commentary by Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
* Theatrical trailer
* Channel 4 documentary: 2001: The Making of a Myth
* Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001
* Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001
* 2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future
* 2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork
* Look: Stanley Kubrick!
* Audio-only interview with Stanley Kubrick

***A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Using a single dual-layer Blu-ray Disc (BD50) and two dual-layer HD DVD discs (HD30s) features include:

* 1080P 1.66:1 Widescreen
* English Dolby True HD 5.1 Surround
* English, French and Spanish 5.1 Surround (Dolby Digital on BD, Dolby Digital Plus on HD DVD)
* Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman
* Theatrical trailer
* Channel 4 documentary: Still Tickin’: The Return of Clockwork Orange
* New featurette: Great Bolshy Yarblockos! Making A Clockwork Orange
* Career profile: O Lucky Malcolm!

***Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
! The Eyes Wide Shut Special Edition includes both the Rated and Unrated versions.

Using a dual-layer Blu-ray Disc (BD50) and dual-layer HD DVD (HD30) features include:

* 1080P 1.78: Widescreen
* Scene specific commentary by Sydney Pollack and historian Peter Loewenberg
* Theatrical trailer and TV spots
* Channel 4 documentary: The Last Movie: Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut
* Lost Kubrick: The Unfinished Films of Stanley Kubrick
* Kubrick’s 1998 DGA D.W Griffith Award acceptance speech
* Interview gallery featuring Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and Steven Spielberg

***Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Features include:

* 1080P 1.78:1 Widescreen
* English, French and Spanish 5.1 Surround (Dolby Digital on BD, Dolby Digital Plus on HD DVD)
* Commentary by Adam Baldwin, Vincent D’Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey and Jay Cocks
* New Featurette: Full Metal Jacket: Between Good and Evil
* Theatrical trailer

***The Shining (1980)

* 1080P 1.78:1 Widescreen
* Commentary by Garrett Brown and John Baxter
* Theatrical trailer
* Documentary The Making of the Shining, with optional commentary by Vivian Kubrick
* Three new featurettes:
o View from The Overlook: Crafting the Shining
o The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
o Wendy Carlos, Composer

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, what am I missing here? What is it about the Clockwork Orange release that's driving them to a 2-disc HD-DVD set, where all the other are single disc? This would seem to make more sense for 2001, which is a slightly longer film with seemingly more extras.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't make sense to me either. The only thing I can think of is that one or more of the extras on the Clockwork release is in high def. But considering what is listed, that doesn't really seem very likely.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Is this a mistake? I thought we weren't getting an HD box set? And why would it be 9 discs (or "10pc"...does that mean including the box???)?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

IMO, the new box set ("The Warner Home Video Director's Series: Stanley Kubrick") will be available in SD DVD only, not in HD. SD DVD set has also "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures"-doc (1 disc). 5 films/10 discs (4 x 2-disc, 1 x 1-disc + documentary (1 disc))

"Lolita" and "Barry Lyndon" are not included the box, but they´ll be released later on at least in SD DVD (no word on high-def versions yet).

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Martin, I'm willing to bet that's a mistake. Unfortunately, the Warner Home Video website lists the box set as only available on SD-DVD.

I'd really like to see the Life in Pictures documentary available in HD (or at least anamorphic), but it looks like we're out of luck for now.

Mark

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I just ordered a 60gb PS3 before the remaining stock at $499 has been depleted and the price goes back up again for the upcoming 80gb model. Too much good stuff coming out on BD that I don't want to have to keep buying. I figure even if Blu-Ray loses the format war (which doesn't seem likely) I still have a game machine and having to buy a HD-DVD player would only put me out $250 (at today's prices. Will probabaly be even cheaper by the time that scenario actually would occur)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks