What's new

5-disc "Blade Runner"/"Harry Potter" sets (Blu-ray/HD DVD) coming (1 Viewer)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor

Doing the same - Final Cut, Workprint (been wanting to see this version since my industrial design teacher told me she saw it in Seatle - she raved about it!), and then the Theatrical. As with everyone else, not sure when I'll get to the DC. I will definitely want to watch it again, but after 3 other versions and the plethora of extras, I think I'll be burned out.

El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?

Jefe: A what?

El Guapo: A "plethora".

Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.

El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?

Jefe: Why, El Guapo?

El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora!

Cheers,

Jason

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'll watch the Final Cut, er, first. Then the Workprint out of sheer curiosity. Then I'll return to my fave: the Director's Cut. Extra features in between. Mama, this gon' be a good one...

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
The artwork for the SD "Final Cut" release is by Drew Struzan:
http://www.drewstruzan.com/portfolio/
"In 2001, when Ridley Scott was thinking of releasing a new director's version of the film, I was asked if my original sketch from '82 could be used on the cover. It turned out that this was Ridley's favorite artwork for his film...Do artists dream of finished paintings?"
I recently learned that Drew did the 1-sheet for Carpenter's THE THING - in one night no less (so says wikipedia, anyway).

While I most certainly will get the Ultimate CE HD-DVD, are the discs the same as the 5-disc Complete CE? If so, that is a pretty amazing price for the CCE (not that the UCE isn't good).

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
With apparently two of the discs being regular DVD-9s, I don't know if the briefcase is worth THAT much extra money to me. I think I may just get the Collector's Edition Blu-Ray at that amazing price and call use the rest to get The Shining, 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I KNEW that artwork was Struzan! Looked very Star Wars prequel to me; actually moreso SE OT. It's nice, but I'm glad the HD Complete versions are getting the poster art seen on previous versions. Struzan's is a little ethereal, whereas the original poster art captures the noirish/sci-fi mix quite nicely.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While it would be better to have the supplements in HD as well, if the studios ever want me to join the HD crowd they have to make sure that the HD version is on par with the SD version in terms of extras.

No dumbing down the HD version just so you can double dip later with extras that are available on a SD version.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jeff,

As I read different forums, I see more and more people feel the way you do and I wouldn't mind, if great care, is spent to preserve the best picture and sound quality possible on any of the HD formats.

My personal dream has always been to "own the movie" - in the most pristine-form-possible. i.e. To be able to see an exact duplicate of the film & sound, anytime I desire.

I will pay for just the movie without complaints, as long as it has the best HD video quality and lossless audio quality that either format technology can muster.:cool:

I'd even push for a second and/or third disc for all the HD & SD supplements and more for you.;)

Best,

Paul

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I plan to watch the final cut on the big screen, however I am very interested in the workprint version of blade runner.. probably watch that one first.

Jacob

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

This drives me nuts too, although I suspect it has more to do with leaving options open for the inevitable HD double/triple/octuple dip versions than any rights issue. I will not be one bit surprised if Blade Runner is rereleased in the next couple of years with all the extras in HD.

If there was a cross studio policy of at least equaling the content on the HD version (even if the extras are in SD), I'm sure I and many others would be more receptive to embracing HD. As it stands, there are less than a handful of titles I'd be interested in rebuying in HD, and at least a couple of those I would resist knowing the DVD version is better supplemented (Dune being the obvious example having an entire cut of the film missing from the HD release).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
there is an Hd channel that has a trailer show. its airs each week. they play both new and old trailers of movies. this week they played blade runner. which is not on the boxset. I thought some fans might be interested. I get this channel on direct tv.

Jacob
HDNet Home Page

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks