What's new

5 channel DYI? (1 Viewer)

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

Thanks for including me in the conversation over here.

First to Christopher.

You're headed in the right direction. Whether you get kits from us or Adire your $1,000. is going to go much further that it ever would purchasing a retail product, and you'll have fun building them too.

First I'll take the MTM issue on its side thing.

Everything said so far is very accurate.

An MTM on its side will cause a dip in the off axis horizontal dispersion due to a cancelling effect of the woofers being delayed in time from one to the next.

Where it occurs, how far off axis you need to be for it to occur, and how bad it occurs is dependant on several things, some have already been mentioned.

Without getting real technical, a wide center to center woofer spacing causes it to occur sooner and the dip will get deeper faster too.

A wider woofer spacing puts the cancellation point lower in frequency where the tweeter is even less likely to help.

A low crossover point helps but most tweeters cannot play low enough to solve the problem.

Our A/V-2 and the sealed box A/V-3S has a 9.5" center to center woofer spacing. This is fairly close as MTM's go.

Woofer cancellation is pretty deep at 1kHz at 50 degrees off axis.

At 40 degrees off axis it centers around 1.3kHz and is still significant.

At 30 degrees off axis it centers around 1.6kHz and is light but still there.

At 25 degrees off axis it looks good. Frequency of cancellation has shifted up to the tweeter range and is very small.

From our web site on the A/V-3S page: "On its side, as pictured above, the off axis horizontal response is good to about 25 degrees off axis. If seating forces some to be outside that range then the standard A/V-1, with the tweeter mounted above the woofer, is recommended as it has a wider horizontal coverage range."

The A/V-2 and A/V-3S gives 50 degrees of total coverage area very accurately. For most settings this is "A" Okay.

Next subject looks like woofer surface area, big verses small, blah, blah, blah.

Here Thomas is correct about needing to be able to move more air to hit higher SPL's in low frequencies. There is no substitute for displacement when hitting high SPL's in the low frequencies.

You can't just look at surface area here though. X-max capabilities, and how a driver is loaded can make a difference too. Transmission lines like the one used on the floor standing A/V-3 adds additional low frequency output that you can't get from a ported enclosure using the same drivers.

Here though is where you have examine what is important.

Small drivers have advantages over larger ones too.

Some of you may remember that our original A/V-3 used a pair of 16 ohm 6.5" woofers. Now they use a pair of 16 ohm 5.25" woofers.

There were good reasons why we switched.

By comparison the larger woofers could produce about 4db more output in the 35 to 40Hz region.

The smaller woofers excelled in midrange speed, detail, and clarity in the higher frequencies. Other advantages are a smaller enclosure that is an inch narrower which has a higher WAF.

The transmission line design, with the newer version, controlled the woofers better in the bottom end and power handling was as good as the larger woofers.

Plus, most people use a more capable and much larger sub-woofer to cover those bottom end levels up to 50hz or so, and needing a greater low end output level of the A/V-3 was just not important.

Anytime you can relieve a woofer of low frequency duty and long exertions it will be more capable of accuracy in the higher levels. It is hard to do everything all at once and low frequencies are much more demanding of a woofer.

Distortion levels also depend on output levels. A like Darren's A/V-2 or Ryan T's A/V-1's do not suffer from low frequency distortion levels as he has mentioned. Because of the tuning level of those speakers the impedance rises sharply through the low frequency ranges and they don't see as much power in some of those ranges.

Those two speakers are 10db down by 40Hz, and 20db down by 30Hz.

Certainly distortion levels will rise at the lower levels, but the output level is so far down that the distortion level is not a factor.

If your receiver can be set to remove 50Hz and down from those speakers then the distortion in the low levels goes pretty much to zero in a big hurry. Blending with a sub in that area is pretty easy too.

So we choose the smaller drivers.

Now as far as output level is concerned:

Output level is no problem for smaller drivers. It's output level at low frequencies that are a problem.

From 60Hz and up Darren's A/V-2's will hit some high SPL's with no problem. I have driven them hard with 400 watt Melos tube mono-blocks and they were scary loud. Clean and clear, but loud!

And our speakers do not have a week midrange. Our M-130 woofers are well known for having a great midrange performance. They are widely used in the DIY community and by other commercial companies for the midrange qualities.

We strive to offer accurate speakers that are very musical. If that is what you are looking for then consider our products. If you are looking for something else then they may not be for you.

Special thanks here to our customers. You guys give great feedback and I appreciate it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Christpher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I want to say thanks to Dan and Danny for getting into the discussion. It's great to be able to actually discuss your products before making a decision.

Danny,

I had done some searches on DYI kits here and came across a thread where the forum mod was on your case pretty good about something. I have to admit that it turnd me off to your product initially. Your post above has taken that out of the equation for me and made the choice more difficult. I just noticed that we are practically neighbors too. I'm in South Denton County. Do you have any type of showroom setup with the AV3's and AV3S? If not, do you ever do any kind of demonstrations over this way?

Thanks,
Chris

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator

Yea, you are close. You can come by just about any time and listen to anything you like.

I have to go to Dallas this Saturday (actually to Dodd Audio in Garland). I can bring some stuff with me and meet you there if you like. He has some other items of interest there too (nice tube gear, big line sources, etc).

I might can stop off coming or going and let you audition whatever you are interested in at your own home. Drop off while going and pick it back up coming back...

I usually take 114 from 287 by the Texas Motor Speedway and over to Dallas but could just as easily cut over from Decatur to Denton and down.

Let me know.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Of course the A/V-2s can play loud music and movies - not just on a "small scale". But the point is: if that is a priority for you then there might be better choices elsewhere - even the Kit281 is not very large and dynamic in the big picture. Heck, look at the speakers Thomas posted. They aren't just for blowing the house down.

Danny, I'm glad to you are being even more helpful and friendly these days and put squabbles behind you. :emoji_thumbsup:

The only thing in your post I disagree with is that you're misrepresenting the output limitations of your speakers. It is true that impedance reduces the power going into the driver in certain ranges (30 and 90 Hz?), but at frequencies below 200Hz, motor nonlinearity due to excursion is going to cause the majority of distortion. If you look at the numbers it takes about 30 watts to reach Xmax in the A/V-2 woofers at 100Hz. That's loud, but we have to remember that noticeable IMD comes into play at lower levels given the drivers play up past 2KHz.

With larger speakers displacement isn't a problem when a subwoofer and active crossover are used, so these distortions can be kept low enough.

Kevin Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Someone said the Adire's had a brighter sound in an earlier post. Chris said he had a little hearing loss and he would like something a little brighter. Also i have heard the GR's and thought the sounded very, very good for the price but i cannot compare them to the kit281's because i have not heard them.

Christpher_S

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,

Thanks for the offer. My future theater room is full of rc airplane and helicopter stuff right now so I just don't have a good environment to try the speakers out. If you come back this way in a few weeks I would be very interested in taking you up on it though. If Paypal gets my funds transferred over by tomorrow I'm probably going to order my projector and start cleaning out the room this weekend. I still need to sell or trade some more helicopter stuff though since I don't have another good place to put it.

By the way, will my little Yamaha RX-V430 receiver perform well enough to get a decent feel for the speakers, or should I try to pick up a nice amp before trying anything out at home?

-Chris

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Okay Chris, Just let me know when you are ready.

You can still come over to Gary Dodd's this Saturday if you want and hear some speakers over there. There is a set of A/V-1's there now.

I am also only about an hour and 45 minutes away if you want to come up here.

You can bring your receiver too if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks