What's new

5/15/07 The Fountain HD DVD Combo & Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

C

Chris*Liberti

I will be buying this day of release. This is the one film from 2006 that I liked better then Children of Men. For me this film's pacing is in the same league as 2001: A Space Oddyssey or the original Solaris. It is slow yet it draws you into the film completely.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So,.....I watched it today. ......... aie yay aie yay!

Beautiful to watch but didn't like it. Not sure how to say it. It was too depressive. I like sad, dark, dramas but this was like trying to be depressive for the sake of being depressive. Maybe it was too self-aware.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Sorry you didn't care for it, Sam. Wish I could find someplace in the DC area that breaks street dates so vigorously. Feel free to mail the disc to me;)

--Jefferson Morris

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Can't believe Sam already got his copy in. Pretty cool.

This is a blind buy for me too so not sure what to expect. That's one reason why I went the route of dvd pacific's price. I figure less is better if for some reason I don't like the film. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn. I was sort of looking forward to checking this film out, but if the pacing is similar to Tarkovsky's Solaris then I may be out. I found Solaris to be a perfect cure for insomnia. I tried watching it twice and fell asleep both times.

I'll rent this one on DVD first. Is it a little more accessible than his earlier film PI? I was never able to get all the way through that one either.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I have to add that I didn’t have any problem with the pacing or running time of the movie. It’s about an hour and half and I watched it from start to end with no blink!

The problem for me is that it’s too abstract, to an excessive way. You need to symbolize things to try to get a little meaning or feeling, I’m becoming tired of movies like that. The master of it is David Lynch of course.

I watch and like 2001, you get and feel some of the themes, but if you need to go on the Internet after watching a movie to see what meant what, that’s a problem. It’s too abstract; the best example is that it’s like a jackson Pollock painting.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Oh no, compared to Tarkovsky's pacing (Solaris also had a soporific effect on me, though I liked Andrei Rublev), The Fountain is Raiders of the Lost Ark. Aronofsky keeps it to a relatively brisk, though very dense, 96 minutes or so.

--Jefferson Morris

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I take it you've never seen Pi or Requiem for a Dream? If this got a PG-13 I imagine it can't be half as depressing as Requiem for a Dream.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

If you see Requiem...make sure you've got a full bottle of prozac in one hand, and the other hand holding the phone as you call 1-800-Need-To-Smile. :D

No, it's a Masterpiece. 10/10.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

Exactly brother. I'm with you 100% there.

Critics are IMO borderline useless....must be so enjoyable to live life being paid to dislike everything because they're film school rejects. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This movie is different from Pi and Requiem. I could still tell it was Aronofsky's film, but it is a different vein for him IMO. I own Pi and Requiem, but if you can't get through Pi (which is really short...), you probably won't get through this one either. I didn't find this movie depressing at all, it was quite the opposite actually. Not exactly "uplifting" but if you feel bad for the characters, then you didn't quite get the message the movie was conveying...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Guess what arrived today? Yep, The Fountain HD DVD from DVD Pacific. Wow....now that's service.

Movie was very good but I don't think I really understood it all. Need to see it again and I can since I got the disc. :) Did I mention I got it early. :P

Image/Sound were good. No issues playing back on the XA-1. :)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It was very good but I was trying to say there are themes here that I know I didn't absorb fully on first viewing. :P :)

It's a rich film that I think will take a few viewings for me. I'm rather slow. ;)

Yes, Sam you win the prize for getting it the earliest! :D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This was a movie I missed and would not have considered if it were not for the contributions in this thread. I will [ick up the BR on Tuesday. I like these kind of non-Hollywood non-formulaic, intelligent films from time to time

Thanks

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I remember watching the special features on the Requiem DVD where someone had asked author Hubert Selby Jr. why none of the characters in Requiem died at the end. His response was, "That would be letting them off too easy."

Yes, it's THAT kind of movie.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just finished this film, on Blu. Wow, what an amazing yet very different film. Like Tim stated, it's going to take more viewings to fully grasp this thing but damn did I enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks