What's new

5.1 setup for newbie (1 Viewer)

jcl007

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hey guys, I'm looking at upgrading my speaker setup so I can hear dialogue better.Right now I use klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers with my 50" led TV in my bedroom. These are great speakers but I still have problems with dialogue.I am not looking to spend too much... Probably around $300. I wish I could b do 3.1 (2 satellites and a center) but could probably make room for the rear speakers.Anyways, I primarily stream stuff through Chromecast, so the setup would need HDMI and support for Dolby digital plus. I also looked at HTiB. I'm not that much of an audiophile, so I don't need top of the line.Can anyone help me get set up?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Looked up your current speakers: For Inputs - showing: MP3 two-channel soundcard miniplug

So, take it you are running some kind of TV output to your computer speakers?

-- Don't have the dimensions of your room, just a budget of around $300.00.....and the "I'm not that much of an audiophile" line...

Given all that, could recommend ...

[*]Start putting together a system that can be expanded -- get a higher quality 2.1 system with a real receiver first - where you can adjust the phantom center channel - and you may fix your dialog problem - with the option of upgrading to 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 later...
-- Good responses for this setup can be found here
[/list]

jcl007

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am running the speakers through the headphone jack on my TV.Regarding room size, I have never measured it, but I'd say probably around 10' between futon and TV by 20' long.I really didn't want to buy everything separate as it seems it would be way over what I want to spend. Receivers almost $300 themselves.Are HTiB that bad where I couldn't just do something like that?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
jcl007 said:
Are HTiB that bad where I couldn't just do something like that?
Yes they can be that bad depending on how much you want to spend. I would rather dabble in the world of soundbars than a cheaper HTiB any day of the week. I'm not recommending a soundbar but just shows you how bad some of the HTiB can be.

Are you looking for a 5.1 eventually or just going for the 3.1? I don't know that you can get to a 3.1 without going down the AVR route. What space considerations do you have right now. I know that Klipsch set is very small and compact as everything is included in the sub unit and small front speakers. Do you have room for an AVR in your setup? Do you have to go with the sub right away? Do you think a better 2.1 might be the answer or are you set on a 3.1?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Another thing I forgot to ask - do you have the TV's internal speakers turned off?

If you have both the internal and external speakers going, it will create a strange echo effect, and may be leading to your dialog listening problem. Turning off the internal speakers may just solve your problem, and it won't cost you any $$$

Also might consider going the Zvox rounte -- can get one of these for around $300 - will fit under your TV, and you won't have to buy a receiver.

Also, you won't have true surround sound and no way to upgrade, but it would fit your budget and help with the dialog issue...

jcl007

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I did some measuring and threw together a bad drawing to show my current layout. Also no my internal speakers are not on while the klipsch promedia's are plugged in the headphone jack. Also my TV has AVL (auto volume level) which really just lowers the overall sound. It also has SRS TSHD virtual surround sound which isn't all that great.

Looking at the Zvox it would be able to connect to my TV through digital coaxial. But I see that nothing else connects to nothing else. I use the Google Chromecast to stream movies/tv shows so what ever I get would need an HDMI port with Dolby Digital Plus support.

I did look at something like the Onkyo HT-S3500http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8 which has HDMI and supports Dolby Digital Plus.

Attachments

• room_layout.png
    room_layout.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 41

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The Zvox has multiple inputs but they are all audio related...no HDMI because it's not an AVR it's just there for sound output. You need to have the google chromecast go into your TV then your TV out to the Zvox or AVR ect with an optical/toslink cable. Just using the optical output of the TV should improve the sound over the headphone jacks. I know it did when I played around with some gear I had laying around.

The set that you linked from Onkyo is alright except for the fact that it's got a passive subwoofer and one way speakers. It's not much of an upgrade except for the fact that you have switching capability between sources, a remote (huge plus over what you have) and 5.1 output. You could get that unit but understand that you're probably going to upgrade the speakers in the future. I'm just not a huge fan of full range speakers. Here ya go get this Denon/Boston Acoustic set. Should be under $300 with shipping, real AVR, two way speakers, powered sub...it's where you need to be.

jcl007

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Thanks for the reply. I will probably end up waiting a while until I am ready to upgrade. The set you linked does not do DD+ unfortunately. Also the Zvox seems to have mixed reviews and I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying it out.

I did consider something like the Denon AVR-E300 which has HDMI and DD+ support, but I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a sub and speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He already said no to that...cause it lacks DD+.Which is why I said Craigslist.Only way to find cheap enough and does what he wants.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
OK so you have to have DD+

[*]AVR - Denon E200 referb should be about $135 with shipping give or take
[*]Speakers - Yamaha set $135 prime
[*]Wires - find out what you need shouldn't be more than $20
[/list]
That should get you where you want to be for just under $300

jcl007

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Thanks for the recommendation. I might choose between the e200 and newer e300.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The E300 is a better unit. The addition of Audyssey, network connectivity, airplay ect. is great. However, if you want to meet your budget nothing wrong with the E200.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks