1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

5.1 receiver that converts signals to HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Mcc, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    What's the starting price point for a 5.1 receiver that converts(not upconverts) all incoming signals to HDMI? We are going to buy a new TV in the furure, and I'd like to run just 1 HDMI cable to it. But the thing is we still use a VCR with S-video. I also noticed most new TV's don't have S-video inputs. Thanks for any budget model recommendations.

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Well-Known Member

Ed
    Onkyo's receivers that converts analog to HDMI starts with the TX-SR608. They are about the cheapest I know of too. Amazon usually has them as cheap as anyone: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR608-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BIFOL8/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1296427435&sr=1-2

Good luck!

3. Jim Mcc

Jim
    Thanks Ed. We only need 5.1 for this room. Maybe there's something in 5.1 cheaper. I'll keep looking into it.

4. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    I don't think there is. The least expensive receiver to do analog to hdmi seems to be the Pioneer 920 ($399 msrp). Next is the Yamaha 567 ($479 msrp). They're both 7.1. Amazon has the 920 for $277. Tigerdirect.com and Compusa.com have the 567 for $299. Both are Authorized dealers.

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    I think at the pricepoint where you'll see upconversion you'll also see 7.1. And just in case you weren't aware, you can just not use the two channels; it's a trivial setup option.

Also, I'm not sure what was meant by "converts(not upconverts)".

6. Jim Mcc

Jim
    There are 2 types from what I've read. What I want is just converting the analog signal and outputting from the receiver with HDMI. The other type(which is more expensive) "upscales" the analog signals and outputs with HDMI. I read about it at Crutchfield.com. Maybe there are no 5.1 receivers that do it.

7. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Well-Known Member

don't look for 5.1 to save money - it's oldtech that will only limit your selection - 7.1 is standard - i only use a stereo setup but my receiver is 7.1.