What's new

5.1 receiver that converts signals to HDMI (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What's the starting price point for a 5.1 receiver that converts(not upconverts) all incoming signals to HDMI? We are going to buy a new TV in the furure, and I'd like to run just 1 HDMI cable to it. But the thing is we still use a VCR with S-video. I also noticed most new TV's don't have S-video inputs. Thanks for any budget model recommendations.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Onkyo's receivers that converts analog to HDMI starts with the TX-SR608. They are about the cheapest I know of too. Amazon usually has them as cheap as anyone: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR608-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BIFOL8/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1296427435&sr=1-2

Good luck!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Thanks Ed. We only need 5.1 for this room. Maybe there's something in 5.1 cheaper. I'll keep looking into it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think there is. The least expensive receiver to do analog to hdmi seems to be the Pioneer 920 ($399 msrp). Next is the Yamaha 567 ($479 msrp). They're both 7.1. Amazon has the 920 for $277. Tigerdirect.com and Compusa.com have the 567 for $299. Both are Authorized dealers.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think at the pricepoint where you'll see upconversion you'll also see 7.1. And just in case you weren't aware, you can just not use the two channels; it's a trivial setup option.

Also, I'm not sure what was meant by "converts(not upconverts)".

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There are 2 types from what I've read. What I want is just converting the analog signal and outputting from the receiver with HDMI. The other type(which is more expensive) "upscales" the analog signals and outputs with HDMI. I read about it at Crutchfield.com. Maybe there are no 5.1 receivers that do it.

Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

I think at the pricepoint where you'll see upconversion you'll also see 7.1. And just in case you weren't aware, you can just not use the two channels; it's a trivial setup option.

Also, I'm not sure what was meant by "converts(not upconverts)".

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
don't look for 5.1 to save money - it's oldtech that will only limit your selection - 7.1 is standard - i only use a stereo setup but my receiver is 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks