What's new

5.1 or optical output (1 Viewer)

Gray

Agent
I am trying to figure out whether 5.1 or optical is better. I am using a Sony DVP-NC875V (DVD/SACD) and a Sony STR-DB840. I plan on using the fiber optical audio out for my DVDs. Does the 5.1 analog out from the DVD player to the reciever actually make a difference? Can you have both connections at the same time? If so, how do I know which component is decoding and which is better? Pleease help...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Very easy... hook them both up, and A:B them. There should be no problem having both connections hooked up. When comparing, make sure to level-match, as one input may be louder than the other (but not necessarily better sounding, on-balance).

For SACD playback, you must use the 5.1 analog connections.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
With the optical, the receiver is decoding. With the 5.1 outs, the DVD player is decoding. Unless you have a need for DVD-Audio or something like it, for DD and DTS 9 times out of 10 the receiver has better decoders. Use the optical, it will cost much less than 6 audio cables and you don't have as much wire mess going on behind you components.

Gray

Agent
Thanks for the info. I think I will skip the 6 cables and use the Optical. While we are on the subject, Is there really any difference between the optical and coaxial? Coaxial to me seems like just another cable...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Dude!

If you have any SACDs you MUST use the analogs as Rich said (5.1 for multi-channel, stereo L/R for 2 CH).

For movies, sure try it both ways, but for SACD, you have no option if you want to hear real hi-rez sound.

If your SACDs are hybrid, sure, you are fine with the optical or coax, but that is NOT why you bought an SACD, right?

BGL

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
How do you like the Sony DVD changer? i have one i just got in the mail, but haven't got to hook it up yet(i'm on spring break).

Gray

Agent
I just got mine in the mail too. I popped a fuse on my Sonance AC-2 so it's not running yet. As far as SACD, that was just an extra feature. My main focus was progresive scan, Sony product, 5-disc, and black in color. I do have some extra monster cables laying around, maybe I will plug them in for SACD. Then I'll go buy a couple of SACD;s...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There is a large contingent that believes coax is better, and particularly among audiophiles. On my system, and with my cables, coax does sound better (and so the coax connection goes to the DVD player and the optical for the digital cable). If it's a toss-up for you, then just know that the majority prefer coax.

I'm not familiar with your equipment, but it's certainly not a given that the DACs in your receiver are better than the ones in your player. If you really want the best sound you can get from your system, the only way to know for sure is to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks