What's new

5.1 audio through hdmi windows 7 (1 Viewer)

TonyV

Auditioning
Real Name
TonyV
Can you tell me how you set this up? Was it more than just plugging the HDMI cable in?
Can you give me any details within Windows that you had to do?
Much appreciated.
--Tony

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm far from an expert, but from my very limited experience (ie one game) I found I had to use analog cables in order to get 5.1. I was trying to use an optical cable but had the same issue you are having. HDMI is a different cable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same problem.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, we can help.. but we do need to know how you're connected, and your settings in your Windows Speaker system..

Blacksheep

Auditioning
Real Name
Simon
Only bluray and dvd audio are encoded in dts or dolby formats. Game audio usually are wav,mp3,ogg files(ie not dolby/dts). Your system is correctly showing lpcm since it has no means to encode the game audio into either dts or dolby. Hdmi however is capable of carrying a 5.1 lpcm(uncompressed/raw) audio stream, which works for 5.1 gaming. Optical cables only have enough bandwith to carry a 2.1 lpcm stream. Lastly, what sound bar are you using? Every soundbar that i have ever seen are only 2.1 sound system.
Edit: sorry, i read your post too fast. Your ht-c150 is only a 3.1 system(left, center, right, and sub). Your system correctly displays lpcm, but you will still not get 5.1 sound as you do not have the rear speaker channels.

JordanM

Agent
The best way to get either 5.1 or 7.1 from HDMI in Windows is to get the on-sale program Splash Pro EX as your player. It plays back DTS, DD, Master and TrueHD all correctly, without any codecs installed or set-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks