1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

5.1 audio through hdmi windows 7

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by TonyV, Jun 1, 2012.

1. TonyV

TonyV New Member

Can you tell me how you set this up? Was it more than just plugging the HDMI cable in?
    Can you give me any details within Windows that you had to do?
    Much appreciated.
    --Tony

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert, but from my very limited experience (ie one game) I found I had to use analog cables in order to get 5.1. I was trying to use an optical cable but had the same issue you are having. HDMI is a different cable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same problem.

3. Audioseduction

Just watch movies. :D

4. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah, we can help.. but we do need to know how you're connected, and your settings in your Windows Speaker system..

5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Only bluray and dvd audio are encoded in dts or dolby formats. Game audio usually are wav,mp3,ogg files(ie not dolby/dts). Your system is correctly showing lpcm since it has no means to encode the game audio into either dts or dolby. Hdmi however is capable of carrying a 5.1 lpcm(uncompressed/raw) audio stream, which works for 5.1 gaming. Optical cables only have enough bandwith to carry a 2.1 lpcm stream. Lastly, what sound bar are you using? Every soundbar that i have ever seen are only 2.1 sound system.
    Edit: sorry, i read your post too fast. Your ht-c150 is only a 3.1 system(left, center, right, and sub). Your system correctly displays lpcm, but you will still not get 5.1 sound as you do not have the rear speaker channels.

6. JordanM

JordanM Active Member

The best way to get either 5.1 or 7.1 from HDMI in Windows is to get the on-sale program Splash Pro EX as your player. It plays back DTS, DD, Master and TrueHD all correctly, without any codecs installed or set-up!