What's new

UHD 4k Ultra HD Preorder Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here are the very FIRST 4k Ultra offerings from Fox and Sony

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

145679_front.jpg

145680_front.jpg

145677_front.jpg

145674_front.jpg

145675_front.jpg

147431_front.jpg

140950_front.jpg

147430_front.jpg

140434_front.jpg

140080_front.jpg

144211_front.jpg

145681_front.jpg

145678_front.jpg

145676_front.jpg

144526_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Out of the 15 titles listed. Only five of them are 100% 4k titles from 4k digital intermediates.

Chappie

Salt

Smurfs 2

Hancock

Amazing Spiderman 2

The Maze Runner comes from a 4k digital intermediate, but some of the scenes are shot with a 2k camera. So it's partially 4k.

The rest of them come from 2k digital intermediates. So they offer no significant resolution advantage over their Blu-Ray counterparts. If they did, I'm very sure the box would say "remastered in 4k".

This is part of the reason why I'm holding off investing fully into 4k.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
revgen said:
Out of the 15 titles listed. Only five of them are 100% 4k titles from 4k digital intermediates.

Chappie

Salt

Smurfs 2

Hancock

Amazing Spiderman 2

The Maze Runner comes from a 4k digital intermediate, but some of the scenes are shot with a 2k camera. So it's partially 4k.

The rest of them come from 2k digital intermediates. So they offer no significant resolution advantage over their Blu-Ray counterparts. If they did, I'm very sure the box would say "remastered in 4k".

This is part of the reason why I'm holding off investing fully into 4k.
To me that is marketing deception if there is no significant resolution difference between the prior BD releases and this new one for those specific titles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Richard V said:
Does anyone know if the two are mutually exclusive?
At the moment it seems to be. The Digital Bits Facebook page reported yesterday from CES that 3D isn't part of the UHD BD spec yet.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's no 4K standard yet. Anything released in 3D so far has been 2K.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
"The Martian" would have have been the only title that I would have considered but seeing it is apparently not mastered from a 4K source makes it a very moot point. Apart from a very limited range of titles I would repurchase. the above list is very much a non-starter. Cool I can hang to my money for longer!

Regards,

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Maybe the compression and colour are better even if it's a 2k intermediate given the better codec

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
willyTass said:
Maybe the compression and colour are better even if it's a 2k intermediate given the better codec

There will be a visibly sharper image due to 1080p 4:4:4 (UHD BD from 2K) versus 1080p 4:2:0 (BD from 2K) and less compression loss.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Michel_Hafner said:
There will be a visibly sharper image due to 1080p 4:4:4 (UHD BD from 2K) versus 1080p 4:2:0 (BD from 2K) and less compression loss.
I don't believe that a 4k presentation of a film finished in 2k, will appear any better than a Blu, from 8-10 feet away.

The proper standards for a 4k disc should include the necessity of being mastered in 4k from at least 35mm film elements, or if a DI, finished in 4k.

4:4:4 color, and HDR are wonderful attributes, which I support, but releasing a 2k presentation in 4k, is like putting lipstick on a mink.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert Harris said:
I don't believe that a 4k pres presenration of a film finished in 2k, will appear any better than a Blu, from 8-10 feet away.

The proper standards for a 4k disc should include the necessity of being mastered in 4k from at least 35mm film elements, or if a DI, finished in 4k.

4:4:4 color, and HDR are wonderful attributes, which I support, but releasing a 2k presentation in 4k, is like putting lipstick on a mink.
This really pisses me off which is another reason why I'm going to wait before jumping into the 4K/UHD market. Now, we have to play detective to find out which titles released with this brand are actually derived from 4K elements. :angry:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Considering the studios have their entire back catalogues to choose from, and knowing that the initial batch of 4K discs are going to be analyzed and dissected by the home media community in great detail, one would think they would ensure that the first batch of releases would be 100% 4K in order to show off the emerging format to it's best advantage for those of us who are on the fence about making the transition.

What a way to launch a format.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, as usual, the studios aren't doing things right the first time.

This is the same thing that happens with the launch of every new format.

The studios rush to put something out -- not totally conformed to the standards of the format -- and then offer a "double dip" down the road where essentially they say, here's the "Proper, Newly Restored Version" that we should have put out correctly the first time.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but this entire format is being rushed to consumers.

How this stuff can be put out before standards are even met is beyond me.

I am certainly not even thinking about 4k for at least another year. I would advise many to do the same. Let's get the mess sorted out so we all buy displays that have all the proper UHD standards installed, and the studios are putting put product that are truly 4k presentations that support every aspect of the agreed upon standards.

Anybody buying into 4k now is only going to have to upgrade in another year to have a completely compatible product.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Rob W said:
Considering the studios have their entire back catalogues to choose from, and knowing that the initial batch of 4K discs are going to be analyzed and dissected by the home media community in great detail, one would think they would ensure that the first batch of releases would be 100% 4K in order to show off the emerging format to it's best advantage for those of us who are on the fence about making the transition.

What a way to launch a format.
Probably because 4k/UHD is being pushed more by equipment manufacturers than content providers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks