What's new

480i vs.480p through component to HDTV, any real difference? (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Okay, I have a HDTV on the way for Christmas. It is one that has one component input.

I have 2 DVD players. The main one I use and is providing 5.1 sound (built in decoder to a receiver which has a 5.1 input) has a component connection but is only capable of 480i

I have another that is capable of 480p but with only 2 channel stereo.

I would rather keep my 480i player the "main" DVD player until I get a blu-ray, affording it the best connection. I am also aware of the HDTV's own deinterlacing process to end up producing, in effect, a 480p picture.

I am wondering how much difference 480p makes to picture quality and am I sacrificing a lot of quality by making my best connection to an only 480i capable DVD player.

Also considering a component AV switch but wonder how much signal loss that will cause.

My display will be a 32" LCD capable of 1080p.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Since every DVD player is capable of 5.1 sound via a digital coax or optical output (it's in the spec), I'm wondering why you do not use the digital connection?

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
My present Sony receiver has no decoder. It was gotten at the dawn of home 5.1 and carries a 5.1 analog input but no decoder. It works great and am not planning to replace it until it conks out.

seedybrick

Agent
Real Name
ken
geez i'm confused....doesn't both of your dvd players handle the decoding?

either way...your tv is going to delace/upconvert to 1080p no matter what so there's really no way to know which will give the better picture unless you know a ton about the processors in each unit....or the more common route....try both out and let your eyes make the call.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks