What's new

4805, pb6100 or optoma H30 (1 Viewer)

TomT

Auditioning
The more I know, the more I don't know. I borrowed an X1 from the school I work at and it easily convinced my wife that FP is the way to go even after checking out my cousins new Samsung 60" or whatever it was. School starts soon, so I need to take it back. I will mostly watch movies with it. HDTV, gaming and regular TV are at this point very unlikely. Light control is not an issue. 4:3 works for me. When I do watch a 16:9 I adjust the zoom and roll up the screen and it looks just fine. I'm not sure I have seen rainbows, but Marlin, in Finding Nemo has an orange "halo" around him on my borrowed X1. What is that? I like the price at buy.com for the 6100 but the others are also at a good price also. I will run it with a Denon 900 DVD player. Does any one set-up a outdoor theatre? My family and neighbors are ready to bring out their lawn chairs. Any help or suggestions are always welcome for this newbie, Thanks!

Check out the newest Home Theater issue (September). They liked the Optoma. Best black levels, best deinterlacer, most adjustable, among other things.

The comparo was with a BenQ PB6200 DLP and a Epson PowerLite Home 10+ LCD.

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
The orange 'halo' in finding nemo will be visible to some extent on any screen. It's intentional. Watch the movie with the commentary track, or watch the copious special features, and thet talk about how the clown fish in the movie are modeled in 3D with the computer set to produce their flesh as a sort of translucent plastic, hence the halo.

As far as projectors, I love the 4805.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
All three of them are good units. You've done your research.

H30 - 4x wheel, 4:3, good pixelworks deinterlacer/scaler
4805 - 4x wheel, 16:9, good Faroudja deinterlacer/scaler
PB6100 - 3x wheel (I think?), not as good deinterlacer/scaler

Personally, I would be trying to decide between the H30 and the 4805. The H30 retails for less, and can be found for less, than the 4805. Personally I like 4:3, since I have a lot of 4:3 sources (can anyone say Mario Kart!!).

And unless you have an issue with rainbows on the X1 like me, I'd get an X1 cheap (sometimes sub-$800) before I got the PB6100. So I'd say it is H30 or 4805.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks