1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

42 " EDTV Opinions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RussellTodd, Mar 3, 2005.

1. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any opinions as to what 42" plasma EDTV's are the best buy. I am looking at the low end obviously or else I would be looking at true HD's. The ones I have considered so far are Panasonic, Samsung and Zenith. Where is the best place to buy. I figure its always cheaper to buy online but I'm somewhat leary of making that big of a purchase online. Mainly I just trying to decide what is the best buy brand wise and where is the cheapest place to get. Suggestions?

Thanks

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

I am also in this market. The Sony KE-42M1 is killer, but a little pricier than the ones you mention. Panasonic is my #2, and Samsung is #3. I'd take a look at the JVC PD-42V475 before a Zenith.

Good article in the March Consumer's Reports about all of these, btw.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Well-Known Member

Panasonic will give you the best bang for the buck..IMO. The least expensive of which will be the commercial displays usually sold on line.

Mort

4. John S

John S Well-Known Member

I sure give the Panny Commercial panels high praise on Color tracking / processing. Quite top notch from me experiences with them.

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Well-Known Member

Having just been promoted at work (I'm now the CIO of our company) I was thinking about treating myself to a new toy. My question is, why would you guys be thinking about getting an EDTV Plasma as opposed to an HDTV model. Convince me I should do the same. I am going to be putting my RCA 40" CRT HD RTPV in the bedroom. I have Cox Digital Cable and have the SA 8300HD STB/PVR and am wondering what I would be missing with an EDTV plasma as opposed to an HDTV model.

6. John S

John S Well-Known Member

Only cost really. The better ED plasmas just toast the lower end HD Plasmas for over all performance. But that is just my opinion on them.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

Yes: cost. I have *almost* decided I'd rather have a very good EDTV plasma than a mediocre HDTV plasma.

Plus, DVD playback and std def TV a lot of times does look better on an EDTV than an HDTV, if the HDTV is doing a poor job of upconversion and scaling.

Plus, a lot of HDTVs do 720P but not true 1080i anyway. ('Course, I'd rather have the 720p, but a lot of other people want the 1080i...)

Plus, a lot of people feel that at a distance of 8 ft or greater or so with a 42" screen, there just isn't that much difference with *any* source material between a good EDTV and a good HDTV. You have to go to a larger screen, or shorter viewing distance to really see the benefit of a true HDTV display.

8. StephenP

StephenP Well-Known Member

Go look at the two side by side and you will see why many people choose the ED displays. In my opinion HD is really only a worthwhile upgrade on a projector. (ie >65 inch screen)
    HD programming on an ED display still looks noticeably better than non-HD.

9. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Well-Known Member

I bought the Zenith about a month ago on sale for $1700. I would not hesitate to buy it again, even at $2000. Don't dismiss it because of the brand, it's made my LG the same as the Panny is. It's highly rated and it's picture blew away all the other EDTV's in the store and some of the lower end HD plasmas. It uses the Faroudja DCDi chip for downscaling, has plenty of features and a great picture. Check out the contrast ratio compared to other EDTV's.

AVS Forum has a long thread on this set. It's great.

10. Kin

Kin Well-Known Member

RussellTodd,
    The Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY has been a very good performer for us. The black levels of the Panasonic plasmas are very impressive. The price on them is great too. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you do need an external tuner, speakers, and some way to hold mount the TV.

kin@tvauthority.com
    1(888)286-5353 Ext 522