What's new

$400 help a newbie out (1 Viewer)

kris

Auditioning
can u repost the links??they dont wrk;)

o yea my funds are up too $600!!! soo i could get better stuff...

Tim K

Second Unit
If you have an extra $200, I'd put that into speakers. I don't think you are going to see much difference between the Yamaha $200 receiver and the $130 Kenwood. The Yamaha offers 6.1 channel audio, but we are pretty far from you being ready for 6.1. I don't even have 6.1 and I'm 15 yrs older than you! Besides, the Yamaha only quotes 75 watts per channel while the Kenwood is 100watts (both are likely inflated numbers though). I'd stick with the

Ben Lindell

Auditioning
I personally would go with a nice stereo reciever
and a decent set of bookshelves. Pick up a decent DVD player with it.

What comes to mind are the JBL S26II's from jandr.com
a real good deal at 150 a pair with free shipping.

For a receiver I would look at the Denon DRA-685
you can find them on refurb ebay for around 200+shipping just make sure the guy is an authorized dealer.

Pick up a decent DVD player such as the Pioneer DV-563A
from circuitcity.com for 180 and pick it up at a local store.

Thats about 550 and Would be a pretty good setup for your application. If you are just going to play CD's, buy a CD changer or a cheaper DVD player.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
yea my funds are up too $600!!! soo i could get better stuff...
Now you will do much better with this extra $200. Try to audition as much as possible, heres my recomendation

JBL NSP-1II 5-Piece Home Cinema Speaker System $180 @ buy.com
Pioneer VSX-D812K A/V Receiver $230 @ etronics.com
Sony SA-WM500 150 Watt Active Subwoofer $135 @ etronics.com
TOTAL = $ 545 + shipping + cables/interconnects, I think you will be very close to your $600 budget.

Hope it helps,

BrianSimmons

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo system that works very well. It was a suedo-HTIB in that fact that I bought the receiver and speakers as a package (however you can buy them seperate as well).

It is the Onkyo HTS760. It includes a 6.1 receiver which is rated at 100w per channel and a full set (6) of speakers and a 150w powered sub. It sounds really good for the money. I bought it at CC for $499. I see that the sale is over, but it is still only $549. The speakers will not be as nice as full floor speakers, but they sound a lot better than the typical HTIB tiny speakers.

It doesn't include a DVD player, but you can pick up a really nice changer for about $130 (Panasonic F85) or even less if you don't need DVD-A capabilities.

For the price range you are talking about, I would highly recommend you go to CC and look at this model. You can walk out the door for under $600 and then pick up the DVD player at a later date (or for Christmas as already suggested).

Good luck.

PS - Also keep in mind that a large majority of the people on this site have spent some serious $ on their systems and are willing to pay for high quality equipment. Don't feel bad about having a budget, and don't let anyone talk down to you. It is true that you will get what you pay for, but don't feel like you have to drop a $1000 or more before it is worth it.

Craig_W

Auditioning
JandR.com has a refurbished Onkyo HTS760 for $300. Shipping will run about $100 so that leaves you with $200 to spend on a DVD player. You might also want to spend a little on upgrading the speaker wire in the system to 12 gauge.

BarryAM

Auditioning
I bought a Nice speaker package from Onkyo direct from their site and shipping was free. Package has everything, Cables, 2 fronts, 2 rears, center, and Sub for $200 shipped. Very nice speakers with wood cabinets and the sound is very nice...I tested them with the new DVD version of Digital Video essentials and an onkyo 5.1 rec and the timing was perfect and smooth. was HT500 package I think...this set is my basement set, but after listening to them I'd even use them as my main set, these will go in basement with the Sherwood 5.1 model 6108 that I got from Outpost for $89 when they were on sale there, but I havent tested the unit yet. I believe CC sells the unit so you might be able to demo it there and then pick it up at outpost when they have the sale again. If you can afford more though Id get a better receiver...but if you like it then for $400 you could get Onkyo speakers 5.1, Sherwood 6108 5.1, and a DVD player all for roughly $400. I am no audiophile tho so I will let the experts chime in on better recommendations. Just wanted to add my experience of getting a system for basement for $400 total.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Take small and measured steps. I wouldn't suggest an HTIB or an all inclusive package. No matter how much you're spending it's a lot of money weather it be $600.00 or $25,000 everything is relative.
Since you funds are limited start with two channel but with an eye towards the future so get a 5.1 A/V reciever and plan for that to be the center piece of you system for for several years
I would spend about a couple hundred bucks on a quality reciever. You may want to look into a facotry reconditioned unit it may get you maore bang for your buck. Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer etc.. do your homework look for expandability and inputs and outputs and features that you may want in the future. Power is a concern but it shouldn't be a deciding factor.
I would limit my DVD budget to around $100.00 maybe $125.00. I know some here will disagree but it can easily be upgraded later and you said it will be primarily for music
I would spend the balance on speakers. Speakers can make or break you HT or stereo so again take your time read some reviews and do lot's of listening. Look for quality over quanrity. Look for quality bookshelf speakers which you can use for surround speakers as you expand. Avoid the gigantor monster looking speaker at $89.00 each becasue they rarely sound as good as they look.
Don't buy the first thing you see, take your time and find the pieces that will best suit your needs now and into the future. If you buy a few quality pieces now you will be able to use them in future expansions. It will ultimately be your best value.

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator
Get some wharfedale 8.2 bookshelves and a $200 5.1 receiver and use your portable cd player for input, until you pick up another 100 for a nice panasonic or JVC DVD player

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks