1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D 3D titles from the 1980's on blu-ray.com

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RolandL, Apr 1, 2013.

1. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
  2. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

Y'know, even within the dying frame work of Internet April Fool's, I'm trying to imagine how "Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + Anaglyph 3-D" would work. :wacko:

(There was a Universal Jaws 3D in the pipe at one point--hence the digital Expo print--before the sequel boxset was pulled to concentrate on the Universal 100th original, but different from the confessed fan-fakie art we see here.
    Another fan also confessed the Photoshopped MGM VHS cover for Four Crowns. That's like giving someone in the Sahara a drink of water in a dribble glass.)

3. GregK

GregK Well-Known Member

It sounds like speculation and/or merely placeholders for titles that haven't been released. To further muddy the waters, bluray.com have used custom artwork made by Fritz Nilsen for TREASURE and JAWS III - which were made to be retro looking by design per request of a client. (see post #403) http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/308016-blu-ray-custom-cover-art-thread/page-21

With that being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see three of the four eventually released on 3-D Bluray. The fourth? ... Maybe.

4. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

The owners of Comin' At Ya and Treasure/Crowns are trying to make a "comeback" in the hopes of getting them onto disk, and the Alamo Drafthouse has been helping them along the way. That's just buzz campaign right now, and nothing at the moment, but it COULD do something.
    And we know Jaws 3D has been mastered, as the digital print is showing at the Expo, so last summer's rumored boxset may have been delayed after all.

That's all If for the moment, though, and nothing on Friday 13th, with or without the Paramount/Warner deal.
    There are rumors of Shout Factory getting the Amityville sequels together, but whether that includes III-D is pure speculation at this point.

5. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Not to throw any cold water on this, but to be realistic.
    Don't expect Shout to spend any money on prepping a 3-D release, unless the studio has already done the work and it's ready to go.

Unfortunately, none of the MGM/UA titles have been done. They don't want to spend the money.

6. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    Hey Bob,

Sorry, a little off topic but, anything new on DRAGONFLY SQUADRON being released on Blu-ray? I know you posted somewhere that it would probably be the first title that you will have released.

Also, do you have any info on WB release of House of Wax on Blu-ray 3D? I know they talked about the third or fourth quarter of this year. I didn't know if they would use the current Chace stereo soundtrack on the DVD or have a new one.

7. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Hi Roland,

No, still no deal for DRAGONFLY. Everybody's afraid to touch it: a Golden Age 3-D movie that nobody has seen or heard of. They have no barometer to gauge sales.

I have not heard one word from WB on HOUSE OF WAX. I was contacted by an outside production company that is putting together a documentary for the disc, but that's it.

8. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    Well that's good news that they will have a documentary on House of Wax.

Getting back to the 1980's titles, I'm curious how the Japanese group that released Jaws 3D, Friday The 13th 3D, Spacehunter, Metalstorm, Comin' At Ya!, etc. in the VHD 3D format, got the rights to do this.

9. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    This would be back in the 80s, when the disc format releases were by and large manufactured by the player manufacturers, licenced from the distributors. In the case of VHD, Victor Company of Japan (JVC to the rest of the world) got the rights solely for Japan. Because JVC had fairly deep pockets due to its domination of the videotape format war, and because VHD was on tenuous footing already (3D was kind of a hail Mary pass), they could licence the rights for, say, 10 years with an option to renew without breaking the bank. As well, because 3D came and went fairly quickly in the 80s (81-85), it's also possible the rights holders were more than willing to participate in the experiment to see if they could squeeze any cash out of it.